Photography from the community

2 Likes

Sorry if I posted this already. Is there a way I can check that? I’m just going through some older photos of mine.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks. I wish it showed the actual photos, but I’ll use it next time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was driving after the rain had stopped, the sun was just starting to evaporate the wet concrete, it was honestly beautiful.
(taken inside my car, kinda wish I stepped out).

14 Likes

Too much saturation, right?

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

It’s a one point light setup. A product shot is going to have a three point lighting setup or in this case at least two. Things like the coiled cord on the right foreground becomes just a chain of light points otherwise without form for example.

Below are some quick tips to improve your product photography lighting setup:

1. Use at least two lights .
  2. Get two identical cool colored 5000K bulbs.
  3. Create a seamless white background with some white poster board taped to the bottom of a large clear plastic storage container that’s flipped onto its side.

These aren’t absolutes…you might want colored side lights or a grey or other mid tone colored background, you might want to use soft box lighting and so on.

I’m not a commercial photographer but those are just some casually observed conventions.

1 Like

Some photos from Yellowstone last summer, shot on my Lumix:

Mammoth Hot Springs

These are the lime deposits that are soluble at the high temperatures underground, but precipitate out of solution as they cool off at the surface.

A close up view of the lime deposits.

A view overlooking the top of the springs.

Another view from the top.

Yellowstone Grand Canyon

Just downstream of Tower Falls

Between Tower Falls and Mt. Washburn somewhere.

Thermal Features

There’s lots of little geysers and features all over the park.

I liked how the water droplets are visible in this one. It isn’t always active, it would randomly spurt up every few minutes.

This is a small thermal pool near Grand Prismatic

This is Grand Prismatic. It’s too big to get a good shot from the ground.

More of Grand Prismatic

And of course, Old Faithful erupting, right on schedule.

6 Likes

Darktable force quit on me one too many times so I just went back to lightroom. Adobe got me by the bols

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the instructions!
My photography skills are poor to say the least, any day of these i’ll have to get a proper camera and give up on cellphone cameras, the result just isn’t satisfactory.

Actually you can get good results from cell phone cameras. I think it’s more the intellectual approach to the subject and how you want to visualize it. If you’re going to do product photography (and I deeply admire this kind of photography when it’s done well) then you should look at all sorts of product photography. I love perfume and jewelry ads in Vogue magazine for example, not that I’m into either of those two products but because they’re a form of close in photography with very tight constraints and a demand for perfection and beauty. Those photographers have a whole bag of tricks for making what would otherwise be bland insignificant objects appear sumptuous and splendid, a luxury simply to gaze upon. A large part of that is from their skill handling their lighting rigs.

Personally, I’m into 3D graphics so the problems are the same only the lighting rigs and the lenses and the cameras are virtual cameras and virtual lighting rigs in a computer. That’s why I’m here on this site; I’m building my new $6000 computer for that. A computer can be a vast sound stage set worth millions on a Hollywood lot or in Rome’s Cinecitta studios for five or six thousand dollars sitting on your desk. People that are into this aspect of photography are savage critics. Go searching on the internet for tutorials on product lighting for photography. You cans spend a lot but you can also get good results from cheap equipment. It’s more about your imagination and skills than it is the equipment.

These are some of my own tentative efforts at product shot style photography in the virtual world with my own models;

If you really want the best place to go to to study product imaging I strongly recommend Adobe’s website Behance.

https://www.behance.net/

I’m addicted to it. Especially the cars.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/26076779/Maserati-Tipo-975-Ernesto

1 Like

Botanical gardens trip.

This lil dude, drenched in pollen. Flew away before I could get closer.

These flowers looked pretty but there’s no contrast between the petals and the insides, so I took it from the side instead.

Sooo close. Just barely missed focus :frowning: .

8 Likes

cant recall ever posting in here before

9 Likes

Yesterday was nice weather and I had the day off so I shot down to Yellowstone. Turns out, that was the day they re-opened most of the roads, so I had the whole park pretty much to myself. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera. :frowning:

Some pics from my phone:

Norris geyser basin. It feels like a different planet here:

Lower falls in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River:

Grand Prismatic. This was awesome because usually it’s shoulder to shoulder traffic on the boardwalk here so I typically avoid it, even though it’s my favorite thing in the park:

A grizzly bear that was hanging out for a while, which is a rare sight. They usually take off pretty quickly (photo from a friend who had a better view):

My photo of the grizzly:

Some coyotes I snapped through a binocular lens. Improvising for not having my camera on me. They were on the other side of the Madison river so I couldn’t get much closer:

8 Likes

That is basically part of life as a photographer. :wink:
Well done! You got a shot. :+1:

2 Likes

Beautiful pictures, I loved them all…:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got cars cleaned up and prepped for the weekend on friday

8 Likes

Just testing out the current Summarit 2.4 / 50 on my A7RII. Amazing lens for it’s size.
Shot wide open at 2.4 and edited in RAW-Therapee.

[DELETED]

6 Likes