Photography from the community

Yea, the a5100 is my first and only (mirrorless)dslr. I've only briefly used other people's full body cameras and been slightly baffled by them. I think I would adjust nicely though if I ever went that route cause I'm a big fan of single-purpose buttons and shallow menu depth (nothing should be more than 2-3 clicks away).

I'm just an amateur/hobbyist so I'm not pushed to get every last drop out of my camera. I leave it in full manual with the exception of auto iso in video mode. I rarely use manual focus as the lens is electronically driven and there's no view-finder so it's a pain in the ass to make small accurate adjustments. I've experimented a bit with the various autofocus / exposure modes and more or less just stick with center priority so i can easily pick my target, lock focus, then frame how I want.

If I ever wanted to be serious about photography I wouldn't hesitate to get a full-body nikon/cannon. I chose this tiny thing (a5100) because it's EXTREMELY convenient to haul around and take anywhere discretely. For me, that was worth the trade offs.

Btw, I think this will work on the a7 series. There's an app for better manual. I've tried it and it gives you a more conventional menu system.

https://sony-pmca.appspot.com/

I'm the same with AF. No need to overcomplicate things if you don't have to.

I had Nikon DSLRs, a lot of them. From the tiny old D40 up to the one digit monster D4. Personally I would not buy a camera with a mirror ever again. (only exception being my H4D31, but that is a special purpose studio thing so ...) I don't shoot sports so I don't need the autofocus performance. For anything else mirrorless options are better today. And cheaper most of the time. The only reason Canon and Nikon DSLRs are still around is their existing customer base that are heavily invested in the system.

Yeah, I'm not sure I even want to use any of that. That is another thing that I absolutely hate about Sony. You already buy such an expensive camera and they still make you pay for a timelapse thing.... Basically paid DLC for the camera. I hate that so much....

Yea, the only app worth buying officially is the timelapse app but even then it's totally shit. It won't shoot in raw. Like, wtf? Only sequential jpegs or pre-encoded video files (encoded on the camera... puke)

The link I gave you is to the cracked app store. Somebody managed to backwards engineer the app loading API so you can now write your own apps or download ones that others have made. You can flash them to the camera straight from the website (with camera plugged into usb in MTP mode).

It looks like their website is overloaded atm but I'm sure it'll be back soon enough. It's worth looking into. There's also a "tweaker" app that you can use to unlock factory blocked settings. One of which is to remove the 30min video recording limit.

1 Like

Wow, alright. That basically puts the last nail in the coffin. I am not making an account for an appstore for the camera I already bought. No idea what kind of crack the Sony people are on but it must be some wild stuff.

I still have an intervalometer, some pixelking craptastic thing but it will do. I think I also have that triggertrap thing somewhere.

I might check out those custom apps but probably won't put those on my camera.
Thanks for the info on that timelapse thing. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Venezia, isn't it?

Hamburg, Germany.

1 Like

Some random shots from trying out the new stuff.

[DELETED]

One more.
HDR is completely unnecessary with sensors this good today.

[DELETED]

4 Likes

why your images all 1001 by 1500 pixels?

Website doing some weird rounding or are you cropping it that way?

3 / 2 = 1.5
1500 / 1001 = 1.498501498501(repeated)

What is this crap?

I'm just exporting from LR with 1500 on the long side. Since the pixelcount is a tiny bit off on the camera it comes out one pixel taller than it should. Doesn't matter.

1 Like

My bad ^^

Just another product shot.

Actually looks a bit blue now on the other monitor. (… don’t have my calibrated macbook here)
Is it blue …ish?

[DELETED]

More stuff that has to go.

[DELETED]

1 Like

The stand? (folded thingie) appears bluish on my shitty screen. The rest seems OK.

1 Like

I am by no means a professional, but I managed to snap this one just before landing.

This was taken above the Wisconsin peninsula near Ephraim, looking to the east.

In southern Colorado. Taken with my OnePlus3 out the passenger side of a moving vehicle.

Right around here.

More to come when on WiFi.

1 Like

I like the play with light and shadow. But that looks way too blue. Try setting the white balance to daylight next time. If you have a RAW you can of course fix it even now. Or if something goes wrong you can always make it black & white, like this.

2 Likes

Nostalgia

angelfire

3 Likes

Yeah i still have the raw lemme change the balance now. My teacher said the same thing about the WB

7 Likes

is that a pro genji???

3 Likes