Photography from the community

what were the settings on that shot?

Well, probably pretty much wide open aperture and the rest is basically irrelevant for this shot.

Almost! f/1.8

ISO 50, f/1.8, 1/1600 of a second.

I shoot nothing but manual in attempt to get me to break my own habits. I'm admittedly an aperture whore, and used to be "f/1.4 or die!" There was a lot of restraint in the car photos, for instance... haha Baby steps. Trying to find my own style. It is a struggle.

I asked because there's some funky, what I assume to be chromatic abberation, around that tree that I'm not particularly a fan of.

Yeah, combination of a lens optimized for film on a digital sensor.
High contrast edges make it even more visible.
That is why I only use native lenses these days.

would it not've been minimised if he'd stopped the aperture down? There was clearly plenty of light to play with.

Maybe. But ...

:wink:

2 Likes

Not quite -- definitely a newer lens, carried over from when I used to shoot digitally on Canon.

I would but god damn, Sony's killing me with some of their pricing with their full frame glass... hahha

1 Like

Yes, the pricing for Sony lenses is just stupid ... and their menus, too.
... And they are fugly ... and overheat in video .......... and

I really don't like Sony cameras is what I'm trying to say.
I totally get why people buy them. The sensors are fantastic.
But seriously, everything else just sucks.

1 Like

grabbed some neat pics in Yosemite over the weekend...

(1/2sec shutter hand held... ftw)

(cloud ghosting is because it's a couple pics stitched, I only had a 35mm on me)

8 Likes

I love my a5100.... has been totally brilliant for video. I've also never gotten the overheating issue.

I took 21 shots of the SoundBlaster Z on, off and after modding to dim it. This was the only one that was any good. After looking at it for a while...
I think it's a photograph with interesting composition.

1 Like

I don't get out much.

5 Likes

I might have to deal with sony menus shortly....
I might have bought something......
Dammit......

1 Like

Full res.

4 Likes

Yeah, I just took the Sony for a walk yesterday to try it out and the files coming out of it are insane.

[DELETED]

100% crop:
[DELETED]

A7RII, Loxia 2/50

I still stand by what I wrote earlier. In fact the button layout on those cameras is horrible and the menus are worse than Hitler! Literally the worst. Ever.

3 Likes

time to buy a 4k screen for editing if you don't already have one! :wink:

That is absolutely sick btw. I legitimately thought they were two different pics for a minute until I realized it was a crop out of the first one..... :open_mouth:

1 Like

I have my MBP 15" (the one before the emoji bar), that is totally fine for editing. Resolution is not that important, you can always just zoom in. Color is key! :wink:

And yeah, the detail from this combo is incredible. I mean, this is shot wide open at f/2 and the crop has no sharpening applied. I set it to 0 in LR, so less than standard and I also turned off sharpening on the export. This is just the lens.

1 Like

You're making me want to upgrade from my a5100!!! STAUUPP!

When I look at your landscapes recently, doesn't seem like a bad idea. That is basically what I bought this kit for. (A7RII, Loxia 2/50mm and Loxia 2.8/21mm) Right now it is the sweetspot for this kind of pictures. The camera is 1.5 years old now so there is a used market. Just keep your eyes open. I even got the lenses used ... and both from the same guy. :sunglasses:

And again: A7RII is complete shit to use in my mind and the menus are more cancer than cancer. But you probably know the pain or you don't know better, so that is a plus for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like