Photography from the community

Agreed, but good shot all the same

I got them professionally printed. The hardest part was getting the right colour balance as printing on aluminium is very different to paper or canvas. Also, at 12 x 36 inches, the image resolution plays a huge factor. All the images I used for the prints are 3x1 aspect ratio with a minimum vertical height of 5K.

1 Like

I see, how did you change these ones for Metal? Yeah definably, So roughly by my calculations to get at least 5k high you are looking at 24MP APCSC/35MM Sensor for optimal output.

Although I do a lot of large format artwork at work and viewing distances need to be taken into account, as most large format is viewed from several paces away so resolution is less important (you could get away witth 200DPI in some cases) Although on the other hand this is smooth metal and tolerances of sharpness are lower rather than a textured canvas so... swings and roundabouts I guess ;)

I went to the print shop a few times with several different edits. Various things like boosting highlights or deeper blacks.

Yeah, my camera is 24MP which gives a maximum output of 6k by 4k. However, you need more res to print at 12x36inch, at least 15k by 5k imo.

1 Like

yeah true you need the horizontal pixels, so guess you just upscaled in photoshop?

What camera out of interest?

nah. didnt upscale at all. i use between 25-40 individual images in my panoramas.

nikon d750

Cool,

How far do you have to be from major light sources to get good pictures.

The answer is Yes

far. at least 1 and a half hours drive from perth city. anything less than that and the sky would be too light polluted. depending on time of year, i might drive out further in the range of 2 to 3 hrs.

More like a Lucky Shot.
I was talking to a friend I hadn't seen for a while and was missing what was going on. I managed to take this in the panic or realisation.

as per NJM's suggestion, i re did the crop. the awesome thing about large format panos is that if you dont like the composition, crop it differently. xD

when i was setting up the Sky-Watcher AllView Mount to take the panorama.

5 Likes

Ah so you use a motorised head for your panoramas?

How good is it?
accuracy?
cost?

yeah, i started using it 2 weeks ago. before that i was using a standard tripod head and ran into a lot of stitching errors in the foreground of my photos because of the parallax error.

i took a while to decide between a manual nodal point tripod head or a motorized one. but in the end, i chose the motorized one.

the skywatcher allview mount is really accurate and a breeze to use. but hell, its bulky, heavy and just difficult to bring around. i might get a manual nodal point tripod when i can afford it.

it cost 750AUD because of shipping.

399US from b&h

1 Like

@Logan suggested to tri-this-pod. consider this-pod-tried. yes, its bloody awesome. great recommendation.

2 Likes

Shame I cant get it in UK :(((((

I was looking at it....

Although it does look very small...? is it heavy and sturdy? as IMHO there is no point in these advertised "lightweight" tripods

i got mine on ebay.

its pretty large for a standard type of tripod. its not about the weight, its about the strength of material. i had a fairly decent vanguard aluminium tripod that broke under the weight of my pano mount. the monoprice is rated up to something like 10kg.

1 Like

hmm yeah but my camera weighs a few kilos and if my tripod is top heavy (as in camera is heavier than the tripod) it worries me... how are you getting on with it though?

most tripods have a little hook at the base of the center shaft. hang a little weight on that hook and it will lower the center of gravity.

its a fantastic piece of kit. highly recommend it.

2 Likes

It has been a while since I posted here, I thought I'd just post something.
This was taken at The Bangkok Seashell Museum sometime last year. They have a massive amount of of seashells in there. If you are a lover of that kind of thing you'll never want to leave.

1 Like