Patreon Killing it Self off With its Decision to De-Platform Those They Don't Like?

People can say and do what they want. People who are for free speech are all for this, the other thing people who are for free speech don’t mind is people and services not servicing people.

This seems to be a big disconnect, that people somehow think not making it illegal, is the same as forcing people to do it. Why do people keep coming with this argument?

This isnt the case. As has been said, several times, by many people. Patreon are well within their right to censor people as much as they want. This isnt the issue. The issue is how they went about it. That they did it through lies, that they went against their own rules and terms, and that they pretend to their users that the rules actually mean anything is the issue.

Free speech advocates might think patreon is doing the wrong thing, but wouldn’t stop them from doing it. They just want them to be honest about it.

This is the difference between people who want to police speech, and those who don’t.

4 Likes

Thing is I give zero fucks about patreon.

Less than zero. I want to reward content creators.

Now patreon can have all the rules and all style. When they ban a content creator I like or even threaten content creators.

I’d like to ditch them because they are nothing to me like Visa or Mastercard are nothing to me. Stay the fuck out of my way or you become the problem.

1 Like

Nah, they don’t need rules. They just enforce the ones they don’t have and then lie about it.

1 Like

To be honest, im in this camp pretty much. Patreon are a middle man, and essentially are nothing. They like to act like they are more (believing for example that they are they ones who make the money for creators, and that they should police your content, wanting you to get permission from them to post things anywhere internet or otherwise), but they’re a middleman, they help process payments for people.

they’re the butter robot from rick and morty, in reality their function is pretty mediocre and replaceable.

2 Likes

In “The Great Gatsby”, the question “having a gay time?” is asked a few times. And for people who don´t know what that question means, it is apparantly quite funny.

1 Like
  1. 1984 is not a manual
  2. Imagine if all the things you ever said and will ever say have been recorded. Now get someone who knows they can buy the data set containing the username “kuro68k” or aliases of said user. How big is the fallout if someone goes cherry picking and misquoting?

Related:

1 Like

I’m hearing this more and more. And it’s becoming more and more true. I think I’m ready for the bombs lol

They’d probably kill me for shit I’ve said that could be taken out of context.

3 Likes

You mean like people who have Alexa devices, Siri, or Google Assistant? :laughing:

I guess Siri and Google Assistant are sort of debatable. Dat Alexa Doe…

1 Like

Her data collection be thicc

4 Likes

Is this thread still serving its purpose? I think this has turned into a debate as to whether a word or words should be blanket banned irrespective of context.

I disagree with Patreon’s actions, so I’m cancelling my account there.

What’s the next best method to kick down some money for the best Tech News program on the Internet? I’m scrambling to find alternatives for everyone I fund.

For L1T you can use anything on their Support page or get some merch from the L1T store.

They’ve got some nice desk mats and hydration vessels in the store :slight_smile:

1 Like

They also mentioned they are on Kofi? Koffee? Koffy? Kooffyy? Kawffee?

I don’t know anymore and can’t readily check. They mentioned it on the news.

1 Like

Ko-fi according to the support page.

5 Likes

I didn’t know that. That’s cool.

1 Like

Im on Ko-Fi now :slight_smile: No blue tick :stuck_out_tongue:

They also mentioned there is no forum integration with it…

But I still see a blue tick for you.

1 Like

Hay if I keep my tick im not telling patreon :slight_smile:

1 Like

I read the FAQ and Ko-fi doesnt take a fee ? Not sure how that works. But all my money to L1 is fine with me.

It sounds like Ko-fi is (optionally) supported by the content creator, in return the content creator gets some extra options. Which at $6 per month or $59 per year isn’t too bad IMO.