oO.o's Neverending Tech Blog

It’s something to do

1 Like

I got this F-connector/coax surge protector. Has a replaceable fuse.

Do I need to ground it? What is this red thing? Came with zero documentation.

I don’t follow the lounge enough to know if this is old or not, but I loled

5 Likes

This was also good

inb4 this is oO.o’s neverending meme blog :smile:

4 Likes

Correction:

3 Likes
1 Like

IIRC, you can ground it to the middle screw on the outlet, but I’m mainly asking if I need to do this for it to work, or is it an added feature to have the redundant ground?
Also, does this red thing have a purpose? Do I run the ground through it, and if so, what cable is suitable? It did not come with anything else.

Nevermind, I scrolled up and saw the photo. I’m guessing this is the sort of wire to use:

I already have an extension cord run into the closet because there is no nearby outlet. Is the ground really necessary? Won’t the fuse blow regardless and cut the connection?

1 Like

I don’t think the bypass will be effective w/o ground. While those do have replaceable cartridges, one cartridge is good for multiple uses as I understand it. I don’t claim to know though, I just explained what I did. Hopefully if I’m wrong someone else will chime in. We all know what happens when someone is wrong on the internet :wink:

1 Like

Ah ok, so it’s not really a fuse then? I just assumed that’s what it was, but that makes more sense if it’s just switching to divert over current to a ground.

The easiest option would be to tap into the ground on the female end of the extension cord. Should be effectively the same no?

1 Like

Sounds reasonable :slight_smile:

1 Like

:thinking:

2 Likes

Just checked w/ iFixit anti-static wrist band: banana plug is too small for direct plug into outlet. The outlet plug adapter is required for banana plug.

That’s what the second thing is, no?

1 Like

Yes. I was curious if the banana plug was sufficient w/o the plug.

1 Like

Was getting bored of watching TV each night so I got Fiancé into animal crossing to kill time during shelter at home. Created a monster maybe?

4 Likes

Might try this out.

New corona cases In nyc dropped today by more than 50% (only 2400 new cases instead of 5000+).

1 Like

So, is it leveling off then?

No there metrics were way off to begin with

Need more days to tell, but it’s a good sign.

The metrics? The figure is definitely not the real number of total cases, but the number of positive test results is still a relevant statistic. I believe the number of ICU patients and deaths per day are also down which are arguably better metrics (but I don’t have a graph of those handy).

2 Likes