On linux, ubuntu 16.04 how do i change desktop environment

Your crazy if you don't like Gnome. Go, Go try the other GUIs but Gnome is where it's at. The Multi destop manager is the best of any OS. Plus you can theme the sh*t out of it by downloading from this site and using gnome tweak (packaged program).

What evs

Uhmm desktop environments are a very personal thing.. For me gnome doesn't have enough information density. So I tend to avoid it. I feel any unused space is wasted space.. But to each their own

1 Like

I usually have a few webbrowsers (multitab), programs, and folder windows open, so the multi desktop is very conducive to task shuffling and sorting, I find.

hope im not too late to this. If you install mint you can choose mint-meta packages in the synaptic package manager and install various supported DE's. Now, mileage may vary and it crams up your install with lots of stuff ( a lot of which is running on boot even if your in xfce, you will get kwin processes etc.. ) But its possible and day to day it doesnt crash because of it.

Its quite good for messing with the DE you want, choosing one then obliterating the install and going with your choice.

no i didn't see this at all

Edit: i'm just gonna download it from here, https://getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/

This should be cool right?

Yes, just make sure you choose the download on the right that says net install 64 bit version.

btw, have you tried using the gnome shell extensions to modify and tweak gnome to your liking?

yeah it's so weird to me right now i was all over the place with it.

Installed KDE NEON , btw i can't boot into windows anymore lol. This linux debacle has been the worst experience for me. haha.

So i go into uefi boot into the my windows drive and i can't even do that i get this black screen grub rescue thing. Are you familiar with this?

Ya i did that in early days. i think that you need to wipe your linux install, boot in to window DOS or whatever and rebuild your MBR. Google that and see what pops up.

?? what

How do i boot into dos?

Kind of as i said you need to google your problem. I did something similar a long time ago (8.04, 9.04). I think that if you dual boot grub takes over and deletes the windows Master boot record (MBR). Thats why windows won't boot after on its own. Did you delete your ubuntu partition prior to starting this post?

Windows secure boot ftw :) copy the data off under linux and reinstall it I guess. That usually the windows support answer. reinstall.

yes

I meant thread

no i did it after, and fucked up big time , https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/ruined-my-windows/107498

There's so much misinformation here..

When you're in grub rescue you'll just need to find the partition which contains your boot images and manually boot off of that. As for switching your desktop enviroment all you have to do is install it and switch at login. However, you'll need to keep in mind which window manager the DE uses. If I had to guess your tried to switch from a GDM (what gnome3 uses) based manager into something X based without actually migrating.

Look i messed up i can't get inside windows. I repaired grub but i don't see an option for windows. Im on ubunut 16.04

Assuming you haven't corrupted the partition..

Have you tried running:

sudo os-prober
sudo update-grub

?

Also you can try running boot-repair

i ran boot repair and that got me the grub screen however no windows option. I doubt i currupted the partition windows is on a seperate harddrive . I did my best not to touch that however fedora 24 workstation installation was kind of over my head and all my problems started after that. I fixed them all (grub repair) But still can't access windows. No i have not tried os-prober , Let me get on it.