On linux, ubuntu 16.04 how do i change desktop environment

No im on 8 thanks though. I just need like a really powerful OS. you gotta understand i'm not using linux for its lightweight properties. Got a i7 overclocked and 970's in sli i don't really wanna sacrifice looks.

Well then i think that you might try out a distro with a KDE desktop.
If KDE Neon is allot better then Kubuntu as @redking mentioned above.
Then it might be interesting to look at.

2 Likes

Running the various desktops in VM's is the best advice I could give. Linux is not Windows. There are serveral versions all fine just choice. Im a gnome man but everyone has there option.

For that you need to use the Fedora net install which does let you choose which components you want to install at the time.

Net install: https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/24/Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Workstation-netinst-x86_64-24-1.2.iso

Requires internet obviously.

In Ubuntu it would be something like

Want kde? sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
mate? sudo apt-get install ubuntu-mate-desktop

so on and so fourth. Canonical does weird things though, i would expect something elsewhere to break.. But I cant say.

1 Like

Yes thats correct, however it doesnt allways work well.
Atleast as far as my experiance goes with this, KDE alongside a Gnome based DE was realy a pain.

1 Like

Is this the latest?

Fedora 24 yes

im so lost what do i type in lol this black screen looks so unfamiliar. I just thought it was a virus you sent me

If you're going to do net installs or bare installs there's lots of guides on the internet that will take you through it all. Like for instance I install CentOS core, then install my own Login manager and DE, it's pretty easy, if you take it easy; get up a guide and follow it. But you have to remember with Linux... it is Linux don't approach it from a Windows mind-set. Linux is it's own thing. Once understood it's pretty easy and powerful, just takes a while to understand it.

2 Likes

You'd need to give more info.. its just an installer, you should normally get the same install as fedora workstation but with more options.

i gotta put in commands that's what i mean. IT was was installing and then suddenly stopped requesting that i put in commands. It suggesting i ask for the journal ,Man i'm new to this..

Theres a drop down at login, though its not very obvious. I would get away from ubunt after you're comfortable with it.

Requesting you put in what commands?

Did it install? or did it never finish?

The installer should start.
You should have the same screen as the fodora workstation install except this one has a "software selection" category that you need to select the desktop you want.

1 Like

Type nothing. Secret is Trust nothing. If your UAC or password prompt comes up and your not installing something...Cancel it.

1 Like

Not at all the same as last time

So you never even got the install screen? Did you verify the download was ok? https://getfedora.org/en_GB/static/checksums/Fedora-Workstation-24-x86_64-CHECKSUM

Hey Cool you asked a question that as it seems i answered under a former user name of mine (DONT ASK)...

@Eden I have made this wiki'd Can someone update it for 16.04 if possible. Maybe clean it up a bit. its from my former user account

@Bender2K1 this post contains pictures and the normal installation instructions which should still work in 16.04

@MisteryAngel If people ask this it maybe prudent to send them to this post. It is no longer dead. I have pulled hard enough to get it wiki'd and all of my former posts wiki'd so that they can be edited updated and cleaned

Yeah its a great post indeed.
i kinda lost it out of my eye aswell.
Unfortunatly a wiki´d topic on the forum still doesnt get sorta pinned ontop of its category.

Maybe i should pin in at that.

1 Like

It does need a little help both in placement and in its cleanliness now that i look back at my like hording self haha