Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

I personally would have no problem with the GPP if nvidia had to have their own brand from the ground up and leaving the already established brands to AMD instead of doing a hostile take over of existing brands and forcing someone who has a very clear disadvantage to start from scratch.

My other complaint is that its taking away what companies already had and putting them at a disadvantage compared to their competitors. If Asus joins the GPP than MSI would have join it also if it wants to stay competitive and have a decent chance of selling GPUs from a 80/20 marketshare.

3 Likes

I had a pretty long text and it just vanished despite the forum software telling me it was saved… yay.
Not writing it again, sorry. Basically what @oO.o and @Dje4321 are saying plus dystopian monopoly, no more vulkan, RTG becoming the next Matrox and so on.

1 Like

I cleaned up the thread just as an fyi (I can bring back something if you need it)

3 Likes

Thanks but I don’t think you can. It never got posted.
I hit reply, the editor window fades out aaaaand it’s gone.

hmmm wonder if thats a bug in discourse… sorry about that :neutral_face:

Might be a bug in me, I seem to have edited this one. facepalm

Could you restore that?

@anon79053375

I have posted this twice already but just to make sure that you really see this:

Here is the screenshot for the RX580 line.
This is the full line-up of MSI RX580 cards as of right now.
It is a direct screenshot of the official US MSI homepage.

Again, I just want to make sure that you have seen that and that you still stand by your statement that there is 0 evidence. Is that correct?

You seem to have your own thoughts about this. I’m interested.

OK, here is my dystopian scenario. Yaaay! :rofl:

With Nvidia pushing AMD out of any currently known gaming brand, they are effectively pushing them out of sight for a big chunk of potential customers. Their exclusivity for the names ROG strix, Aeorus (or however that thing is spelled) and GamingX is hurting AMD today but also hindering Intel tomorrow. These gaming brands are well established, they are driving sales, tons of them. And the leather jacket guy wants all of those. My fear is that Intel won’t even get into a competitive state, regardless of product quality, AMD gets pushed into a corner of the market and Nvidia ends up last man standing. “But AMD will still be around and make GPUs. It’s just the marketing”, right? Well, technically you can still buy Matrox graphics cards today… But would anyone say that is a viable alternative for games?

How would that affect me as a customer?
Today? It wouldn’t. I have my gaming cards for now and I don’t care about marketing or RGB lighting. I didn’t buy Nvidia hardware in the last five years, maybe longer. But next time when I go out to get a fast GPU I might have no other choice than to buy a geforce, simply because there is nothing else left. No open source linux drivers anymore, no vulkan, no freesync… maybe no linux gaming at all anymore. A walled garden as literally the only option.

3 Likes

Is your response to @catsay the only thing you meant to post? Or all of it?

Gigabyte still has Aorus AMD cards listed and Asus still has AMD ROG cards listed.
I find it hard to take @JokerProductions and AdoredTV seriously, so other than MSI not listing any Gaming X/Z etc AMD cards what proof do we have?

I still stand by this statement.

If we all agreed that Gigabyte and ASUS were axing AMD cards because of GPP, what would happen next?

Edit: What would we do next?

Buy the card you like the most.

1 Like

Yes. That’s 0 evidence. Maybe their site is busted? Have you tried searching?

All of the sources on this site claim that several vendors were impacted by this. MSI missing the word “Gaming” in their AMD cards in a filter is not nVidia stuffing out the competition and forbidding MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, et al. from selling AMD cards. Not at all the narrative that was pushed.

Interesting enough, doing my own research, apparently AMD had a shill campaign back in the day that involved people bashing nVidia/praising AMD across forums. I guess that thing about karma…

Even going to “Where to Buy” and selecting “Retailer”

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-amd-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card-black-red/6202779.p?skuId=6202779

Looks like nothing has changed. I’m not sure you could ever buy a GPU from the manufacturers website, but I’m able to search “AMD Gaming” on msi.com and find graphics cards with the logo without issue.

Look man, I didn’t come in here to crap on your thread. I came in here to read the article. I thought it was laughable and poorly written, with a pathetic narrative and painfully obvious bias. I offered my perspective, which is clearly a whole hell of a lot different than most people on this forum. You’re going to have to stop believing hype and research yourself. That’s all three vendors that you can find the “gaming” branded cards on their site. Sorry the check boxes don’t work on the MSI site, maybe they should be notified about it. For now, I’m satisfied that nothing has changed. AMD went “shopping” for a story to publish, and apparently they have a history of doing sleezy shit like that. I ain’t buying it. Call me naive, call me a corporate shill, whatever. The real fact is, the people pushing this narrative don’t have a dollar to spend, in my opinion.

1 Like

We could all hold hands and angrily tweet at Gigabyte and ASUS.

2 Likes

AMD decided to use all the full Vega chips in the Vega FE card and market it to miners, isn’t this also bad for consumers? Of course it makes perfect sense from a business standpoint, why sell Vega 64 when you can cash in on Vega FE.
Maybe AMD should focus more on marketing their high-end stuff towards gamers.

8 Likes

Gaming box not gamer focused, that’s new. :sweat_smile:

The reddit thread has the Finnish gigabyte homepage listed and those boxes look different.

German retailer Alternate and Mindfactory don’t have any MSI GamingX cards listed anymore.
Caseking still has them listed, might be interesting to see what happens there over the next couple days.

https://www.caseking.de/pc-komponenten/grafikkarten/amd?ckSuppliers=123&ckTab=0&sSort=103

1 Like

Nope you are smart however from my point of view you are missing the point.

The thing is we are not talking about nVIDIA stopping MSI, Asus or Gigabyte of releasing AMD gpus. We are talking about hijacking of another company’s brand for own use by nVIDIA.

Asus has 2 gaming brands - ROG and STRIX for now there is no info that i could find of them being removed from current AMD GPU’s however on the next release we will see if there are changes.

MSI has one main gaming brand - Gaming X - which as we know strangely doesn’t include RX Vega cards. About RX 5XX series being available in one site and not on another i cant comment - it may be a bug or it may be part of their removal.

Gigabyte has one main brand for the last 2 years - Aorus - As I have included proof of the gaming box that seems like it’s part of the Aorus brand but its branded as a Gigabyte I believe I stand correct that there is a proof of GPP in action.

Now more on the point: Does this hurt AMD ?

• in the short term - NO.
  • In the long turn - YES BUT IT DEPENDS.

Because we don’t have any more information about the GPP we can’t actually try to predict what exactly would happen. What I can kinda assume may happen is that MSI, ASUS and Gigabite will have lower sales than normal for AMD cards because the kids will avoid them.

What will be the most shittiest scenario in my eyes - The GPP does not take care only of the company’s above but also of Lenovo - their gaming lineup ( don’t know the name ), Dell - Alienware, HP - Omen, Acer p their gaming lineup, Asus on laptops … yata yata yata I guess by now you get my point. They may try to take over the mobile gaming market which is booming right now.

And guess where Intel comes in and why they were also mentioned in the original article. Intel is about to release an Intel CPU and a Vega GPU combo that is supposed to be a low level and low power gaming setup. Now imagine the new processor is not included in any of the “gaming” laptop lineups on the market. This will be a big fail for AMD and Intel. And a big victory for nVIDIA.

I’m sure that they (Nvidia) are always trying to do this. They want to take over every market they are a part of… so does AMD.

Nvidia and AMD’s only obligation is to make as much money for shareholders as possible. They have no incentive to make you happy if it does not align with their profit motivation. If Nvidia can get away with a partnership deal that destroys AMD, then it is obligated to do so.

I think the focus of the discussion should be on the partners. Gigabyte, ASUS, Dell, Lenovo shouldn’t accept the deal. If they do, we shouldn’t buy their products, and we should shit talk them on the internet (because that is our only leverage). The hope is that GPP is a bad deal for the partners and that they’ll see through it, or negotiate it into something more benign.

There’s also the hope that governments would consider it illegal…

1 Like
3 Likes

Yeah I had a good look at both the Gigabyte AMD box and the Aorus nVidia box. The pages are identical except for the removal of nearly all Aorus branding on the AMD one. The box is plainer looking too, not just a logo swap.

That they say it is not a gaming orientated thing is on sense, it isnsold as a Gaming Box in both scenarios and the pages use all the same points. So marketing look like they are very quickly trying to deal with this and doing a bad job.

@anon46267848 you are right, Aorus AMD cards still feature in the line up but it is looking like any new AMD products coming out do not feature it. As above there is no reason the the GPU dock should not feature it but they went to some lengths to remove all Aorus branding from the AMD version. Why?

2 Likes