Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

You should write that bigger, it might come true then…

3 Likes

Just emphasizing that there are no facts in this wild grab assing. Just endless speculation and fantasizing about a twisted, dystopian future.

Even if nVidia came forward and dismissed the claims, the hard core extremists would still scream conspiracy. I did add an updated article from the same people. My guess is it still doesn’t matter. nVidia evil. AMD pure! Can’t trust corp unless AMD!

1 Like

How do you explain Asus, MSI and Gigabyte removing AMD cards from their gaming brands ? Especially when they were in those brand 2 months before ? I am sorry but this is no longer a conspiracy now we have facts.

4 Likes

I just went to Asus’s website… ROG Vega64 on home page…

Yeah, Asus has bent the knee…

Lmfao.

You have no facts. Just speculation and fantasy.

You are right Asus seems to not have done it still however how do you explain this from Gigabyte ?

if you check the product numbers you can see they were ment to be all part of a certain brand however they do not share the Aorus brand.
GV-RX580IXEB-8GD - Not Aorus
GV-N1080IXEB-8GD - Aorus
GV-N1070IXEB-8GD - Aorus

Also why does msi does not have at least one gaming branded Vega card ?

Edit - Also if you want can you check when you open the msi site and press on products then under Video cards on AMD GPU’s does it get you to a page with nVIDIA cards ? Because for me it gets me to nVIDIA cards, and the title of the URL states that it should transfer me to a Vega applied filter page. As it is with nVIDIA cards it gets you to 1080 ti.

2 Likes

fixed

Yeah, sure…

On their global site they don’t have any AMD gaming card anymore.
Just check every AMD box on the left.

1 Like

Interesting I checked only vega cards as I was lazy to check all of them.

This is very basic strategy and i am amazed that you are making conspiracy claims. The GPP itself does not prevent a company to sell AMD card with the gaming branding. that would be outright illegal. What is declared though is that Nvidia has the right to not give “benefits” to the OEMs that do not follow the GPP. Benefits that are actually important for profitability. It can an indirect blackmail that is technically legal (maybe).

Since Nvidia has the most market share, the OEMs interests might lead them to use the established brands for GeForce cards and make new ones for AMD card. And the established brand brings more profitability and and that creates an issue with competition. The OEMs can of course be smart about and make new brands for the Nvidia cards but it is not certain they will. They care about their business more than competition in favor of the consumer. You can already see branding being removed with some OEMs. That is quite factual.

BTW attacking the people disagreeing with you as conspiracy theorists and FOSS-shills that worship AMD (lol) is not facts either.

1 Like

External GPUs has been booming for a while. NUCs and laptops can take advantage. Hell, on Jupiter Broadcasting and in the L1T post your battle stations I’ve seen quite a few. One of the frequent posters here has like 8 monitors off 1 laptop.

Regarding your other points, that is interesting and I’ll check it out with an open mind.

It’s three companies. They could have easily said no, as nVidia was pretty open about offering this to everyone.

Either those companies make more off nVidia, they care about money more than they care about the consumer, or a thousand other reasons that we’re not privy to.

Also, I made it clear it was speculation. You guys are treating this article as first hand experience.

You are right though, name calling is not necessary. I expect you to criticize the OP for calling me “dumb” and implying “whataboutism”, equating me to a Russian terrorist dictator.

Linux foss’ers was harsh though. How about, extremists? I will edit my post.

I didn’t call you dumb, what you wrote I was calling dumb.
Like to connect the term whataboutism with “equating someone to a Russian terrorist dictator”.
That is dumb.

You are assuming I want to attack you personally. Which I don’t.
And no need to edit your posts, I can handle it being called a FOSSer. In fact I don’t mind that at all. Also I do prefer AMD over Nvidia and I don’t try to hide that. Doesn’t change anything about Nvidia being a bunch of cunts, does it?

What you call being a cunt the rest of the world calls doing business. Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI all had a choice. They chose the dominant market share.

Funny enough, what the main article is implying is looking less and less like the truth. Only time will tell, but until AMD is stripped from the market and the 1030 starts at $1,499.99, I’m willing to bet things aren’t going to change.

I’m sorry but this actually does read a lot like something a certain Russian elected president might say. xD

What exactly did you get out of it actually?
Maybe it just had different implications for each of us.

Thats is the issue. These companies should have said no, but care more about sales and does not help the consumer. Any monopoly or market dominance does not. That is the issue. Not which company is best. But how this will affect the quality of what we are getting and our pockets. That is why :

Their businesses is screwing with us as consumers. You do not need a conspiracy or a dystopia for that to happen.

BTW i never saw anyone here calling you dumb. And there are no FOSS extremists that have an issue with that. Unless you think LTT as FOSS fanatics.

For the FOSS “extremist” (sorry that sounds dumb) nothing about this matters as the hardware is not open.

2 Likes

I stand by my initial assessment:

I vehemently disagree. GPUs have never been better. I have an RX580 passthrough that performs almost better than bare metal.

I have a laptop with a 1070 that performs nearly 100% to it’s desktop counterpart. I have a desktop GPU that runs 3 4k displays FLAWLESSLY. All of this I got for less than $3,000. That would have been a house down payment 5 years ago.

I feel like there needs to be something like a “separation between church and state” when talking about business politics vs actual products.

Like we can either talk about the ethics behind it, or we can talk about the impact to consumers. Bouncing back and forth between the two confuses the scope of the current topic at hand.

Nvidia still delivers a good product, regardless of the outcome of this debate.

4 Likes

Because things are good now it does not mean that will be the case tomorrow. If AMD had not offered a good value for money choice on the (4)580 and (4)570 the market would never be that favorable. The same thing as with the Intel monopoly when AMD gave no competition that their CPUs were actually insanely overpriced for small additive improvements and that did not chance until AMD came up with Zen. If Nvidia manages to control GPU branding as they seem they want to it might make it very difficult for AMD (or any competitor) to keep up. And worse they do not keep control by having a better product and investing for improvements but with behind the scenes marketing strategies that do not necessarily require a good product to be successful.

1 Like

Product quality and business practices are not the same thing.

1 Like

Lets do a simple replacement to get discussion back on track.

If $Company makes the best $Item, but has (possible) shady business practices, what does this mean for the consumer? Will this:

• Affect the quality or production of $Item's?
  • Affect the consumer?
  • Affect the market?
  • Affect other businesses?

But the over arching question is: should consumers care about what a company does behind closed doors? If so, please explain why. Be verbose, but not toxic. Speculation is okay for the purpose of examples, but we need to be objective about this.

2 Likes

That is a great thing to argue about but should have it’s own thread.
Please. :wink:

For a company to keep on making an objectively good product it needs competition to motivate it to do so. If there are no competitors worthy of creating the incentive to improve, you can still have the best product and give really awful value for price objectively. The issue with the shady practices is that they give dominance irrelevant of product quality.

If you have a clear market dominance using such practices the product quality and progress saturates affecting all of the 4 factors you are taking about while still having the best product. The best product is relative by definition.

Should the consumer care? Yes since it affects the products he uses and his expenses and the technology he uses affects pretty much every aspect of his everyday life. It is 2018 the user is by now almost identical to the citizen. At least in developed countries.

1 Like