Nvidia embraces competition in it's very own way

Just for informations sake, also @noenken, loading the site (MSi) from Ireland reveals no Gaming line cards, just reference and Armour and the occasional Aero, lots of no name boxes in there too. The first thing to show up that is of their high tier is the 290x Lightening and the only other is the 270 Hawk both of which are long since out of production.

1 Like

US market first, then make it global and pretend it is just unifying?

1 Like

And Joker is from the US

Time will tell :confused:

If I were Nvidia, I would not want people to go here: http://ec.europa.eu/competition/contacts/electronic_documents_en.html , search for the right email address and submit a complaint. That would cause the PR people some serious trouble to me mentioned on the front side along other offenders or make an appearance here

Just for shits and gigs I checked Asus and found a bug. Not going to band wagon this at all but give this a go.

https://www.asus.com/ie/Graphics-Cards/ROG-Republic-of-Gamers-Products/

Select the AMD box and you will get AMD ROG and Strix cards for just fine. Then also select the ROG specific box and a 1080ti adds its self to the top of the list. Just funny.

2 Likes

I’ve got a Gaming X 580. I’m proof they exist!

1 Like

I can translate that better than nvidia

1 Like

lol!

Those names, amd armor, amd gaming, amd rog, amd whatever. Could the naming be more generic ??!

Vs

POSEIDON, Zephyrus, Aourus etc…

1 Like

Variety is the spice of life.

nvm…

It already is manipulated and controlled et al. What’s your point?

edit:
That there was a time it was less bad than it is now. And also xfx,sapphire should make laptops. Yes.

It makes amd seem even worse when a premium brand like Asus doesn’t give amd it’s due with a special premium brand like nvidia gets, because they know that if sapphire, xfx or other made a premium like that, it would sell like crazy

This is probably also completely unrelated…

I would like to ask a question.

Would someone like to explain to me how they perceive the GPP to affect them as a consumer in their own words?

No short one liner responses.
Think it through.

I want to get some insight into where we stand as a community, how do you perceive it? What are the differences in opinion? So forth.

4 Likes

Blah. Blah. Blah

Provide evidence. Please! I’ve clicked on most of the links and watched the videos in this thread.

You can’t provide evidence that is so easily disproved by going to the website of the vendor you claim to be affected. If nVIdia was going around “forcing” people to abandon the competition, there would be a lot more than speculation.

I’ll say it again, if Gigabyte, MSI, and Asus didn’t want in on the deal, they’re all successful companies run by adults. Just say no. It’s that easy when you’re titans of tech.

The link to the blog I posted earlier, nVidia said this DOES NOT prevent vendors from selling AMD. The websites all have AMD logos on the AMD graphics cards.

If you guys are so desperate for dystopian worlds go read William Gibson. But when you guys take an article, admittedly written as an editorial, with 0 evidence besides “his eyes only”, it’s hard to take the matter serious. Then, when questioned, you get defensive and start making dramatic accusations. When asked with proof, you post videos and websites that are so easily disproved I don’t even use a fraking search engine.

I’ve edited the douche bag parts, but I’m getting real tired of people calling me naive, dumb, shill, etc.

I get that this is potentially scary, but as of now there is 0 evidence besides some crap blog posts and videos that are easily refuted.

2 Likes

I see this as having less of a selection. If you go to Best Buy, you’ll see a slew of MSI, Asus, HP, and Alienware gaming laptops. With the GPP, the selection of vendors might be the same, but the laptops themselves, spec wise, might be clones of each other. Kind of like buying a 970 from EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus… They’re all the same card, really. One might have a cooler color scheme or a different fan, but they’re the same chip.

GPP might make this a reality for laptops too. Every year, the laptop model will be the same, just with the 1260 and 1270 instead of the 1160 and 1170.

There will probably be more vendors at events. When I went to DreamHack in Austin, nVidia was there giving “backstage” passes, shirts and stuff, and raffles to win some GPUs and other tech (big deal back then). Maybe GPP participants will attend the event. Of course, from what I recall, a lot of them were there already, so *shrug*.

If the speculation plays out and becomes a reality, I could see this being another run for nVidia similar to before the RX series started breaking through. They were the only GPU in high end laptops, from what I remember, during the 600s-900s. I know Mac Pros used the AMD FirePro, but really, BYOC and laptops, I think people tended to go with nVidia. Really, I think AMD needs to split into two different companies. Focusing on GPU, APU, and CPU has to be tough, especially as one company. Maybe split back into ATI or “AMD Fire” for graphics.

1 Like

Still waiting for nVidia full transparency though.

Personally I’m looking forward to those Intel GPU’s.

I doubt that is going to happen anytime soon even if this is legal. Nvidia is going to keep this tight lipped and im sure there is something in place like a slightly different contact for each OEM so when it does leak they know who to punish. If nvidia didn’t want this tight lipped then OEMs would have been alot more talkative than just taking literally zero stance.

1 Like

Do we all agree that if GPP effectively prevents partners from selling/advertising AMD products, and if several companies like MSI, GIgabyte, ASUS, etc. decided to go along with this, that would definitely be a bad thing?

Assuming that’s the case, I think the productive discussion is, what do we do about it? Can we do anything?

If it doesn’t happen, then we’ll merely have had a hypothetical discussion.

2 Likes