No Man's Sky: Disastrous Launch

I haven't played in 1080p ever since I got my 4k monitor, for about 2 years now. You don't know what you're talking about. Most games I can easily pull at least 1440p at high settings at around 50fps. Stock clocks. At least when I disable AA.
4k:
Diablo 3 - everything maxed - stable around 50
Divinity Original Sin - high - stable around 50-55
Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel - maxed except PhysX - mostly stable 60, dips to high 50s
Bioshock Infinite - high - don't remember this one, but was very smooth
Skyrim - maxed + visual mods - mostly stable 60, sometimes dips to mid 40s

1440p:
Witcher 3 on high - around 50 fps
Assassin's Creed Black Flag - on high - around 50
Fallout 4 - maxed (another shitty looking and shitty optimized game) - mostly stable 60 with dips to low 30s (there's the shitty optimization)
Metal Gear Phantom Pain - high - stable at 60, dips to low 50s
Shadow of Mordor - everything maxed - stable around 50
GTA5 - high - mostly stable 60, dips to high 40s

GTX-970 is still a solid card and can handle 4k even on high settings on some games. It's not a powerhouse, but still a decent card. The fact that this game can't even handle 1440p on low settings, simply means that the devs could not bother to actually test and optimize this POS! This lack of polish in a game, especially one that's been delayed several times, is something I'd expect from some horrible Greenlight Asset Flip.

I'll try some of the suggestions for increasing performance, but if that doesn't work, I'll give this game about a week to maybe 10 days. If it's not improved by then, refund. Maybe get it later on via "alternative methods", or a very deep sale.

FYI apparently and somewhat ironically the game is running really well in WINE on Linux

1 Like

So I was one on the lucky ones,
The game runs for me! not super well FPS anywhere from 35-60, pretty constantly around the 55 mark. I have it on max settings, fov on 100, at 1080p. There is not too much pop in when in foot, but god the pop in when flying is HORRIBLE, and because there is no LOD setting we can't change it. I have some hitching when wandering around. The games is not crashing for me, but if I alt tab out of the game I can't seem to alt tab back in and have to close it and restart.

So my specs
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz,
Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix GPU,
Asus P8Z77-V lx Motherboard,
8GB G.Skills ARES DDR3-1600 RAM,
Corsair RM 750 80+ Gold Rated PSU and
Digital Black 1TB 7200rpm HHD

At this point in time I'm happy with the game and will not be refunding, hopefully Hello Games will be patching the game and fixing issues as quick as they can.

Dont forget if you cant run the game or you having issues you can always refund on steam!

2 Likes

Honestly? I'm enjoying the game 4 hours in, frame rates aren't as high as I'd like with my 1070, but there's no issues with stability. I wish there was more variation in the planets. Doesn't feel AAA, I think it should be $10-15 less.

3 Likes

Well, it isn't AAA right? Hello Games is and Indie studio (or at least, was as far as I know).

1 Like

It still is a very small studio. But everyone thinks they are AAA now because of the massive marketing campaign by sony.

What about The Witcher 3? It has been delayed a couple of times and (at least) I don't remember any outcries. I feel obligated to mention that I didn't observe any news closely regarding either of those two titles, though, as I am not interested in them.
That said, I do feel good for the developers (in case of CDProject Red) when their game meets the high expecations of the hype they, the media and their fans have created. I also go "oh for f*cks sake" when a studio lets people down by throwing crap like Arkham Knight, AssCreed Unity or (apparently) No Man's Sky on the market.
And then there's Bethesda's case, where fanboys even go as far as defending bugs that should've been gotten rid off very early, as if those were part of the experience, just because it has become some sort of habit for the studio to not being able to present a game without huge bugs, or as if the games would lose recognition value if there weren't any.

I get that you aren't happy with your purchase but your expectations are unreasonable.

Eventually your card will get older and older and newer games and newer game engines won't be possible at 4k.

Maybe you've just found your 3.5gb video memory limit?

Besides 1080p on a 4k monitor scales perfectly.

It's not unreasonable to say a game runs like shit no matter which settings I use. Especially when the framerate stays the same at all 3 resolutions and at different settings. It's perfectly reasonable, this game did not go through any proper QA testing and has not been optimized, at all.

Honestly the biggest issue that no one is talking about; is the fact the WHOLE game has to be restarted when changing video settings.

IME when the process is that involved people aren't as systematic when optimizing their settings. Instead of iterating one setting at a time to find what runs well they just make a best guess and go with it.

That needs fixing too.

2 Likes

You miss my point. The game does run poorly, that's on the game, but expecting that old card to continue to work at 4k as time goes by is unreasonable.

2 Likes

Sorry if I made it sound that way. But that's not what I meant. I know my card is not a beast and yes it will get outdated by new games. My point was that since I get the same fps at 4k with high settings as I do at 1440p with low settings, that when the game does actually get properly optimized, I should be able to play it at 4k, or at least 1440p without the major cuckups this game currently has. I was simply pointing out that for me it makes no difference in performance.

1 Like

This game is developed by a studio that today consists of 15 people. A game that is radically different from any other game that has seen the light of day. During the development of it (early on in 2013) Hello Games had a pretty big loss on equipment due to a flooding of their rooms. They have battled lawsuits, they have been overhyped by sony and the game is out for one day. ONE!

1 Like

Ah. Well that does sound less like hyperbole.

It is rather interesting that you and @Josh_Mck both have a 970 and his experience isn't as bad.

I wonder if it's a software issue. Like a slightly different version of OpenGL or a driver setting difference.

1 Like

And?

If a company releases a game for full AAA price ($60 in my case), I expect it to do the bare minimum requirement of a video game and that is to at least be playable, without any major, game-breaking performance issues.

1 Like

I think you can thank Sony for the price tag, though it is possible that Hello games would have made it $60 as well. But I do agree it should be less.

1 Like

... it doesn't mean shit. This is new. This is different. It is just plain dumb to expect something of this scale that is designed from the ground up in a completely new way to work out flawlessly from the get go. And no amount of money can change that.

If you are not happy with it, refund it. Otherwise just wait a bit.

1 Like

Well first it was coming out a year and a half ago, then pushed another half of a year, then an entire year, then we were getting multiplayer with a player driven economy, I heard stuff about base building too but unsure if true, there was a giant map, multiple galaxies, HUGE ships, then when the dev period was over and final release started we started hearing questionable things, then the leak happened, then they had to make changes to the game inside of a month to make the leak look like that it was supposed to happen that way, and now its out and its a lot of bright colors, seven planets, some pirate battles, and a walking simulator.

Yeah, I'm fucking pissed.

Oh, so you have been to all 18 quintillion planets already? Wow, you must be the first I guess. Congrats!

1 Like

In while the hate on NMS circlejerk is still cool.

1 Like