New Zen leaks?

Looks interesting on paper.
to me those prices still look too good to be true.
Now we have to wait untill they are trully launched and tested by reputable sources.
Currious to see how well those things will overclock.

1 Like

still would disagree :p when the i3 comes out recomendations will probably be get i3 or i7 since the i3 will be beating pretty much everything besides oc i5, i7 quad at gaming for shitty games i3 will probably be beating i7 or oc i5 if it can out clock them, and for people buying these chips thats basically the only thing that matters lol.

dont think anyone will be interested in the 6/8 cores that arent already interested in intels 6 cores as every single one of these chips are probably gonna get beat by the i3 if the sr3 isnt like 4ghz base clock

I am not too interested in more eyecandy until the CPU is released at this point, we do not want this to be overhyped, also those clock speeds are less than impressive. Was hoping for 3.5 GHz at least on the 8C/16T parts, but at 95W, it isn't as bad. Not to mention the prices ain't bad neither.

I don't see a point in going for 2C/4T if I can easily go for a 6C/12T that eats it alive, especially since new games like 4 cores and that's where the i5 is destroying an i3 no problem.

the 6 core wont be in gaming though for awhile probably, bunch of games are still not loading the threads properly where the one main thread does more work than the other ones, if the i3 clocks higher its gonna be much more competitive than previously where the i5 was always clocked higher, if the new i3 hits 4.5-5 its gonna be like 20-25% faster than the skylake i3 probably start beating out most of the previous gen/ones that arent oc if you oc it to max

My aim is to upgrade to a 8 core CPU. games wise its gpu. I want zen it mix up the CPU pricing weather I buy AMD or Intel.

What struck me as smart is having the 4 and 6 core models come out 3 months later.

Same here, then I remembered that AMD will have locked and unlocked versions. I am guessing these are the unlocked versions.
One thing missing is non-hyperthreaded versions. Also .3 and .2 turbo is weak compared to the 8320e that goes from 3.2 to 4.0. I can't imagine any game that will need 16 threads. I also wounder if the non-K versions will be overclockable.
The next 18 months will be an exciting time for benchmarking, gaming and OC'ing

1 Like

Look at that LOW turbo boost, I suspect Zen is not really overclock-able!?

Won't matter if you need more cores, which is an increasing demand. There is a reason why we are not going back to 1-Core Processors (that and the OS is kind of using that core as well, which makes the gap between 1 and 2 Cores huge)...

Idk, Intel's Desktop CPUs don't turbo much neither (Ultrabook CPUs do sometimes, my i3 4300U get's 1.9 GHz, turbos to 2.5 GHz on 2 Cores and 2.9 GHz on 1 Core). I am worried about the general fact that the clock speeds are low.

If you can get the 4core Zen to 5ghz then it would be sweet. But something in my funny bone is telling me these Zen processors are only going to have a ~200mhz breathing room....

Which would be a shame, considering the 14 nm process should allow for better clocks.

2 Likes

The architecture they designed is more efficient, If all is true... An AMD 3.2Ghz beating out a 4Ghz Intel is repeating history all over again. Remember the Athlon days...

Instead be excited for HSA and it's implementation. Also, Did you see how much L2 & L3 cache is on those chips?!

But HSA is only really a thing on the APUs. And the amount of cache will indeed be nice to have. But a higher frequency would be too.

This latest wccftech Zen news are still pretty much based on that carbon forums/maxsun leaks. Yeah, I think those two are the same source:

Week later same informations came out (techpowerup):

As we inch ever closer to AMD's Zen launch, more and more information seems to be slipping through the cracks. This time, MAXSUN, an AMD China partner (poised to provide customers with AM4 platform motherboards) is the source of the proverbial leak, with information that, if true, is sure to stir the pot of bubbling Zen excitement even more.

So it all comes to - are that informations true. Only thing that is new in this article is that quad and hexa core pricing. 500$ was mentioned too in earlier links for higher binned overclocable 8c16 (on 300-ish $ base model). That "chineese pricing table" is from one week old overclock.net post (without source, probable fake)

1 Like

not sure about the whole oc thing, as far as i remember the language was sort of like.. they are going to release a chip specifically for oc, not them saying the other chips couldnt oc. like a special golden bin for people wanting to do extreme oc ln2 etc where many people seem to be taking this as if you cant oc any of those chips other than the 500$ one which seems stupid compared to intel announcing even an i3 can oc for caby.

least to me seems the opposite of their usual/even recent involvement like wattman. but just have to wait and see.

all amd cpus will oc. some will oc better than others. it would possibly kill zen for the enthusiast market if they lock down OC

Why would AMD come out with a better cooler for Zen if they were not going to OC? The Wraith cooler is specifically for Zen, The 83xx was a test run to build up hype.

Possibly, remember the Phenoms though. Only Black Edition had unlocked multiplier, all the others were locked. FSB overclocking was the thing for the locked ones, depending much on the motherboard. Used to be the same for Intel, locked chips could be overclocked with the Baseclock. They locked that down with SandyBridge IIRC. Now with Skylake it would be possible to overclock any CPU, but as we know Intel pached that hole.

I could very well see AMD do something similar, locked multipliers etc. Whe don't know what kind of FSB/Bclck ZEN has yet. So it is yet to be seen. I seen rumours about Black Edition chips, that could very well mean that the non BD chips are locked.

not saying its impossible, but the rumors have only been about the single 500$ chip, as in every other chip would be locked, or thats just a specially binned chip, or the leak means nothing and there could be 2skus per core count etc.

edit: basically in other words, im under the impression they are launching the lower 8core as the 8350, and the 500$ one as the 9590 except without being pre-overclocked basically, in that they are functionally the exact same die, but the 9590 out clocks 8350 99% of the time(whatever it actually is to get a 8350 that will hit 5-5.1 stable on like a d14/h100 compared to it being guaranteed that it will) not saying the 500$ one will hit 5, but that it will out clock the mass majority of the lower ones yeah atleast in my understanding.