New Zen leaks?

The same is true of Kabbylake and all other new Intel processors. It is not the chip makers that are saying no support for older OS's its Microsoft saying they will not prioritize fixes or support for older OS's on newer architecture.

2 Likes

Or maybe Intel is really insanely overpricing their chips due to lack of competition.

1 Like

True. It went so far that people can't even imagine that they could have true 8 core for 300-450$ (or whatever). Intel is milking dual and quad cores forever. I know that newer generations are much better (IPC and efficiency wise), have SMT, that much R&D is spent etc. but we have quad cores like 10 years for upper category since intel took lead. 10 f...ing years! Despite newer cores are better some phases of production and components probably got much cheaper with years, and passage of time should be considered as an argument too. 10 years was like a century in pc industry.

The mainstream Core 2 Quad Q6600, clocked at 2.4 GHz, was launched on January 8, 2007 at US$851 (reduced to US$530 on April 7, 2007). July 22, 2007 marked the release of the Q6700, and Extreme QX6850 Kentsfields at US$530 and US$999 respectively along with a further price reduction of the Q6600 to US$266.

And now we have quad flagships for 300$ + fuck yeah. Price cut over three times of initial price of q6600 wasn't problem (and still selling them with profit). So do you really think 8 core like i7 6900K is really worth 1000$? I'll bet that they can sell them for 350-400$ with profit

Hell, looks like intel is finally thinking of 6 core cpu on mainstream socket for Q1 2018 (cannonlake or coffee lake). Probably stimulated with Zen

2 Likes

A lot of people creating buzz about the possible $300 price point. Setting everyone up for a dissapoint before it leaves the gates. Aint going to happen. AMD are greedy and will mark it up

Like I linked above Lisa Su said to their investors that they will lounch in i5 and i7 area...

I am betting against that, I think it will be $700 as the highest estimate, most likely $400-500, $300 is a bit too cheap to count on, but not impossible.

I just want some 4C/4T CPUs for the low $100's.

AMD can't afford to price their CPUs like Intel, otherwise, they are going to be in a world of hurt. If AMD is going to get greedy at such bad timing, they are going to be shooting themselves in the foot. They already shot themselves with Bulldozer, they be stupid to make the same mistake twice.

Then it would still not make any sense for amd to price them that low.
They desperatly need to make money out of this.
If the performance of zen really turns out to be that great as rumors spread.
Then AMD will ofc under cut intels prices but definitely not by that much.

1 Like

It's too early to tell either way.

PCWorld Zen talk

With one small problem, EVERYONE is using Intel already! I think AMD might find it VERY hard to win back customers if the price isn't very attractive, especially considering that its going to have very limited OS support on release...

I would say AMD will very quickly reduce price once they find out their not selling the numbers they expected because allot of people are staying with intel due to no reason to move! Also keep in mind that AMD's previous CPU's were budget chips, people are not going to just go spill money on AMD CPU's at intel prices...

2 Likes

I mean they still sell dual cores that run like shit. They really need to speed the fuck up about it.

whole windows 10 thing is dunno, when intel is doing it id assume its microsoft, but at the same time it doesnt really make any sense since they drop in replace on like z170. with zen would still assume microsoft but also there might be legitimate technical reasons being its an entirely different platform. like there may be no external fsb, it might just use pcie or something the bios stuff etc. just like i wouldnt be surprised if windows 95 didnt support true multi core processors where they were on the same package instead of just being 2 chips.

but do still laugh at the salt about them not updating windows 7 or whatever to support new stuff, like they ever updated windows 98 to support amd64, a whole what whopping 4-5 years later?

Of course AMD will price undercut intels prices.
But not with 75% + i trully cannot believe that.
If the 8C 16T Zen cpu realy turns out to perform close to the 6900K.
Then i personally expect that they will gonne sell those for arround $700,- ish.
Unless Intel is going to do something crazy with their pricings, but i highly doubt that.

I'm not sure what or whom you are addressing with this reply. But i didn't say anything negative about amd if that's what your thinking.

3 things I will have my eye on with AMD Zen

1) Is the 8core CPU price going to be reasonable?
2) What will that CPU's overclock value be? if I can't get at least 4.2ghz then its going perform worse then current setup.
3) Will Zen work well under Linux or will it be 6months of pure hell!?!

2 Likes

You nailed my thoughts Riddick !

I want to help the underdog but not hamstring myself

I just hope that Zen is clocked high enough to keep up with Intel CPUs, I like a CPU that is capable of good emulation, especially on the mobile side of things where mobile AMD CPUs are BAD for emulation, otherwise I would prefer an A10 or an A8 APU over an Intel Ultrabook CPU (Not the HQs though)

One way to tell how good Zen will be is by how intel is behaving.
If intel starts leaking details on how awesome and cheap Kaby Lake is Zen will be killer.
Oh wait!......yep....leak confirmed!
http://wccftech.com/intel-200-series-kaby-lake-s-platform/
If Zen was bad there is no way intel would offer OC'able i3's and Pentium G's with hyper-threading w/ Kaby Lake

Jan 17th!
http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-summit-ridge-17th-january-launch-rumor/
Amd will clean up on those who must have it now. 7850k was 180+ at intro. A year later the 7890 was 120.
Already we see A-12's OC'ed to 4.8 on a wraith cooler.
http://wccftech.com/amd-a12-9800-apu-overclock-record-am4-platform/

Whether your favorite color is blue or red this is the golden-age of PC performance....rejoice!!!!

4 Likes

One way to tell how good Zen will be is by how intel is behaving.

And this could be sign

Intel Coffee Lake Mainstream 6 Core Processors Launching in Q1 2018 Alongside 300-Series Cannonlake PCH – Coffee Lake-X Details Leaked Too

But things like that go deeper and sooner. Companies must plan in advance. One article (don't have link, can't remember where) said that even Intels 8 core's are also motivated with Zen, because intel had 6 core on enthusiast platform for a long time, Zen was announced to public in spring 2015, and Intels first 8 core on x platform comes out in Autumn that year. Of course they didn't make it in few months, but it will be also very naive to think that they found out for Zen in a same day like us (industrial espionage). Jim Keller turn back in AMD in 2012 to work on new architecture. And companies like intel always have future products planned and in "stand by" depending on market situation.

And intels recent 10 core just before Zen is also welcoming party for Zen to stay above AMD in core count as a leading company. What can we conclude from this? We can't know how good Zen will be, but one thing is for sure - it will be stronger competition to intel then bulldozer family in their time

EDIT

I also think that intels decision to have skylake-x and kaby-x on enthusiast platform at the same time is very strange. It's like they skip one generation to be ahead. Kaby-x will be only quad core (also first one on enthusiast platform after long time after 6 core as minimum). My guess is that with that move they will try to divert potential intel customers to go on AM4 because of higher core count than on 1151, and offer more budget friendly option on enthusiast platform so they can upgrade one day to higher core intel part

3 Likes

More Zen Mind Candy!
http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-8-core-35ghz-cpu-spotted/

"Desktop Summit Ridge Zen CPUs are expected to launch at next year’s Consumer Electronics Show in January. That’s when the official Summit Ridge and X370 motherboard product debuts are expected to take place. High-end X370 AM4 motherboards and Summit Ridge CPUs are expected to be widely available by February. If Zen’s leaked benchmarks are anything to go by we won’t be surprised to see these fly off the shelves as soon as they’re put up."

2 Likes