Need help.. wondering if i made the right choices

So today I went to my local micro center and picked up

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608317/amd-ryzen-7-3800x-39ghz-8-core-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-prism-cooler

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608667/gigabyte-x570-aorus-master-wifi-amd-am4-atx-motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232306?item=N82E16820232306&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-mobile&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-mobile--pla--memory+%28desktop+memory%29-_-N82E16820232306&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAnfjyBRBxEiwA-EECLEDVoZpXzYvkomyYmHoPwhmjYR9sPRt6Q4XcCvr19QqEOIhbH7ovrBoCLa8QAvD_BwE got these at micro center for cheaper… I just can’t find the link, because they were the last ones left and I picked them up…

https://www.microcenter.com/product/617828/noctua-nh-d15-black-cpu-cooler

havent put everything together yet… Still out and about, with the fam.

3 Likes

Looks good to me.

Keep us updated how everything goes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you :grin: soo… I put everything together yesterday, reinstalled windows, booted up the PC and it posted. Everything is up to date including the bios. Checked temperatures right away after all has been updated and idles anywhere between 40c-60c under no load at all. Is that normal? Oh and i used thermal grizzley paste…

hey… so i’m having a great time with this build… I’m really loving the snappy processing that’s going on. windows boots up super fast and so far so good… My temps are stable around 33c-40c stock… i have only had the chance to run Division 2 on here and i believe the only thing that is holding me back is my GPU evga 1070 sc… I will be upgrading to… https://www.microcenter.com/product/609539/evga-geforce-rtx-2070-super-ftw3-ultra-gaming-overclocked-triple-fan-8gb-gddr6-pcie-30-video-card. I would love to know what are the best optimized settings for my motherboard? i hope i could still post this question here… if not i could start a new thread? Also i saw the review on you-tube, of the X570 arous master by Wendell, and he has a link on the settings but i’m afraid i don’t quite understand it… any help would be much appreciated on how to optimize my settings for my motherboard to run better on the 3800X

Basically it should be pretty fine out of the box.
Of course you should load your memory xmp profile in the bios.
You could squeeze a little bit of extra performance out of the system,
in certain multithreaded workloads, by playing with PBO settings.

A few easy steps to get a bit of extra performance out of the system.

1: Go to bios advance mode: tweaker menu:
2: Load the extreme memory profile (XMP)
3: Go to settings tab:
4: AMD CBS > XFR Enhancements: Accept.
5: Precission boost overdrive: manual.

Dial in the following numbers, those numbers seem to work best.

PPT: 300: which means 300W powerlimit.
TDC: 230: current limit.
EDC: 230: current limit.
PBO scaler: 4x.

I have enabled XMP… And it read my memory at 3600mhz

see above, i was still writing :slight_smile:

Ahhh ok… :slight_smile: thank you… I will change it and see how it goes from there…

Well first do some benchmark runs with like cinebench etc on stock settings.
Or run a game or what not.
Then dial in the settings and do some runs again.
And see if you see some improvements.

The nice thing about pbo tweaking this way,
it basically tells the cpu that i can use more power and upping the clocks,
as long as the temperatures are safe basically.

You could of course also manually overclock the system.
But that will be a bit more fidly trial and error.
And the xfr boost profiles that AMD gave to the X chips,
are pretty much close to the max those cpu´s could do.
You might be able with advanced manual overclocking,
to get a little bit more out of it.
But then you trully need to know what you are doing.

Thank you for the awesome advice! :grin: I will run some bench test now since its stock… And compare them, when i make the changes… I really dont know how to manually overclock, I admit i have no clue what I’m doing… But I will follow the steps you provided above.

Well basically for gaming i guess just enabling your xmp,
profile will basically already be more then enough.

I mean when it comes to gaming performance in generall,
it is also really depending on the gpu and the games you play,
and how you play them.
Since you are looking into upgrading to a 2070 super,
i suppose you are looking into 1440p maxed out settings.
So yeah depending on the monitor you have,
the 3800X should not have any issues with feeding that 2070 super,
out of the box.

Yes im looking to game at 3440x1440 max settings for GPU at a good frame rate would be nice lol… My current 1070 is not up to my standard… When I load up divison 2 there is an I’m game benchmark and on medium settings I’m only getting 50fps and on high its mid 40’s

Yeah the 2070 super should be a significant upgrade,
in terms of 1440p gaming performance.

im picking it up tomorrow at Micro center. I was going to wait for the Nvidia 3000 series, but i really don’t think ill need it… i believe that the 2070 super would suffice… :slight_smile:

Well you could check out some benchmark video’s on the 2070 super on YT.
Then you have some idea’s what kind of performance you can expect from it with a similar configuration.
I suppose that the devision is also benchmarked allot.

i have seen some reviews of the one i’m going to get… i’m really liking it… i will actually search how it does with the 3800x, its easy because division 2 has its in game bench… so do a couple of other games like assassins creed odyssey and so on… i think its pretty neat

EVGA normally makes really decent cards. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are my favorite… It was between gigabyte or EVGA and i’ve stuck with EVGA

Finally bought evga 2070 super… Wow… loving my pc more and more… Running it all stock. All I’ve done is enable xmp… Temps when gaming are around 45c-55c… So far pretty cool :sunglasses:

3 Likes