Need help.. wondering if i made the right choices

awesome thank you! that’s great to know… i’m excited. this is my first AMD build and i’m loving what AMD is doing. i just hope i don’t have a updating the bios of the x470 mobo… i read that you have to have an older ryzen cpu witch i do not…

You could probably flip a second hand one if you have to.

i have a local micro center i usually go to. i just used the link to show what i was talking about… i dont think ill go with the 3950x just because i won’t be using this build as a dedicated workstation… but thank you for your advice :slight_smile:

what do you mean? buy used?

Yeah, just for the update get a used chip and resell directly after. If done right you don’t lose a penny, just a little time. Of course this is only necessary if you can’t find one with the update installed.

ohh ok i see… i guess i could do that… what cpu would i need if i end up doing it that way ?

You’re not going to have to update if you get a recently manufactured board w/ updated bios, which I’m sure you can get at microcenter.

im not sure how to check on that… i guess i could alway as an employee?

Any first or second gen Ryzen CPU. Avoid the APUs, the numbering is weird and it doesn’t really help that they don’t release them on the same cycle either.

So, Ryzen3 1200 up to Ryzen7 2700X.

Oh, btw. For the cooler, take a look at the new chromax Noctua NH-D15 in black. :wink:

nice ok… i’ll definitely check out that cooler… come to think of it i know i build just a basic pc a couple of years ago for my dad, and i remember installing an amd cpu on it, i just can’t remember which one it was… if it’s any of the ones you just listed i might just use that and save me the time… ill just swap it back when im done with the bios.

FYI/I was wrong - checked online - micro center is no longer stocking x470 boards; might have to pick up online if you have your heart set on it - or at minimum call ahead :wink:

And geez, don’t buy a board that doesn’t support the cpu you want out of the box unless you’re getting a really good deal on it or something.

The Taichi Ultimate is a bargain if you think about the 10GbE. Always has been, that’s why I have two. :wink:

1 Like

Will it work with my dial up? Any other recommendations for my build?
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Athlon 220GE 3.4 GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Alpine AM4 LP CPU Cooler ($8.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate ATX AM4 Motherboard ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($18.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($19.14 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($28.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Raidmax XT 300 W ATX Power Supply ($22.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $369.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-12 12:00 EST-0500
:smiley:

Hey quick question about this board https://www.newegg.com/asrock-x570-taichi/p/N82E16813157883?item=N82E16813157883&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-mobile&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-mobile--pla--motherboards±+amd-_-N82E16813157883&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiA4Y7yBRB8EiwADV1haegy5BJg34iXysOeMda7Y3qA6jBjtzzVoEtvB77LVVbu5Ku3FfzIzBoCGSYQAvD_BwE. It says 3200 memory is the highes I could run with this board? But what dose it mean when the specs say supported O.C memory? Dose this mean I could pair this memory? https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB&DEPA=0

I’m gonna be a little bit the RTFM guy now and say: look at the QVL. Those exist for reasons. Get memory that is on those lists. They are telling you what kits will run in what config and at what speeds.

X570 Taichi with Ryzen 3000:

X470 Taichi Ultimate with Ryzen 3000:

For reference: I am running 4 sticks of this, so 64GB total at 3200 C15 on the X470.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-32GB-(2-x-16GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3200MHz-C16-Memory-Kit-–-White/p/CMK32GX4M2B3200C16W#tab-tech-specs

1 Like

Ok thank you I’ll give it a read…

Doesn’t the taichi come with bios flash back?

edit: nope doesn’t seem to be the case.

@Zegoth you could maybe ask if the shop you buy from.
could eventually flash the bios for you.
Or like @noenken said, buy a cheap used 1000 or 2000 series cpu to flash the bios.
A bit of a bummer actually.

Of course you could eventually also consider the Asus Crosshair VII Hero instead.
Decent board with bios flashback.

1 Like

Or of course if you don’t want to deal with all the hassle,
you could just go with a x570 board. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Msi was pretty big on bios flashback for 400 series

Yup pretty much only Msi on most of their 400 series boards.
And Asus only on their more expensive boards like the Hero and Strix.

For the rest none.

I would personally advice to just g with x570 for 3000 series cpu’s really.
Just to avoid all the hassle.
I mean only the Asrock x470 Taichi Ultimate board is kinda interesting from the 400 series.
Because it comes with the 10G Aquantia nic.
On X570 you will only find 10G on the more expensive 400+ bucks boards.
But yeah Asrock does not offer biosflash back so you either need to ask the retailer,
to flash the bios for you.
And most of the time they ask a fee for that.
Or you have to buy a useless 2000 series cpu that adds to cost.
So yeah that generally to me doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
Because decent x470 boards aint that cheap either.

But still the 2.5G realtek nic + intel 1G nics can be found on cheaper x570 boards already.
So yeah in that regards unless you really need 10G.
I would at this point just go with x570 boards really.