Need help with a p5800x boot drive

Could someone help me explain why I’m getting slower speeds when using a p5800x as a boot drive?

I’m using a 4x4 pcie to u.2 adapter as I thought it was less janky than the nvme m2. to u.2 cable adapter.

The slot is getting the full 4x4 speed and the m2_1. slot is empty.

Should I use the m.2 nvme to u.2 adapter to get some cpu lanes?

I even reinstalled windows to be sure with fully updated drivers etc.

1 Like

Possibly related

Also

C drive is the p5800x

G drive is a WD black 2tb sitting in a secondary m.2 slot

I am completely lost, not entirely sure but everything is setup right.

Thank you, will take a look, cheers

1 Like

Does anyone have the holy grail m.2 to u.2 adapter than Wendell was/is using?

I got this one: Amazon.com: DiliVing 𝐃𝐢𝐋𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐞𝐫 PCIe 4.0 𝐌.𝟐 𝐓𝐎 𝐔.𝟐 𝐍𝐕𝐌𝐞 SSD,𝐒𝐅𝐅-𝟖𝟔𝟑𝟗 Drive to 𝐌.𝟐 Host Adapter,U.2 SSD Converter -with Power Cable(75CM) : Electronics

Works for PCIe Gen4 m.2->U.2, but seemingly not U.3.

2 Likes

Just confirmed - it works with Intel Optane P5800X. Connects at PCIe Gen4 x 4 lanes.

1 Like

Thank you

I just realized I bought that exact one with this:

Using this right now with no m.2 in the fabled slot 1.

Would this improve the speeds etc over the pcie card since it taps in the the CPU lanes?

Yes. PCIe lanes directly connected to the CPU perform best. Chipset lanes, or other components in the signal path reduce latency.
The result is not earth-shattering though.

2 Likes

Noted, thank you for this info.

For a p5800x and based on the above results posted, could you guess the performance gain? Am I missing much on this product?

I see the CPU lanes on my mobo for the m.2 slot 1

And if the pcie card is fine, I should keep my m.2 slot 1 empty right?

Im using a 14900k just fyi (still Okay lol)

Got my gpu in the main slot, so either leave it in the bottom slot confirmed running at 4x4 or try out the janky m.2 nvme to u.2 for better latency/speed…

pcie lanes

These numbers are on the limits of what 4 lanes of PCIe Gen4 / any PCIe Gen4 nvme drive can support.

May I ask what you’re expecting?

1 Like

Appreciate the response!

Not really an expectation but more just trying to make sure that I am getting the fastest speeds capable for this drive and build.

Im using a pcie to u.2 adapter which uses only chipset lanes.

An nvme m.2 to u.2 adapter in the m.2 slot 1 which can use CPU lanes, might eek out more performance…?

I am just wondering if it will be a big difference or if its only something like less than 1% etc. I have no idea if I am missing something or if its negligible.

Thank you

I guess i’m just checking if I am getting the most out of my p5800x…

Your random 4k numbers look about 75-100MB/s slow, even on windows. Windows 11 has decreased performance of everything but it looks a little bit slow & your latency is not great at 17/27. I think you should expect to see ~300/300 random 4k and 12/12us.

1 Like

That is what I was thinking…

Do you think it is the pcie u.2 adapter with chipset lanes only slowing me down?

and maybe the m.2 nvme to u.2 adapter with cpu lanes will bring it up to spec?

Im not sure what else I can do.

I am running a p5800x with the same glotrends pcie 4.0x4 adapter that is linked above. It should work better than the screenshot you posted. Do you have a lot of stuff connected to the chipset? Does your chipset have a pci express 4.0 connection to the cpu?

1 Like

Actually it looks like windows is getting pretty shitty. My performance is not actually that good anymore. Only like 265/265 MB/s with 15us of latency… Windows has really gotten shitty now that most of the code is written by Actual Indians.

1 Like