Windows 11: Increase IO latency (Optane)

Hi there,

following up my topic here:

I got an Optane P5800X and was already able to improve latency and T1Q1 throughput quite a bit by disabling C states.

Now I noticed quite a big difference in T1Q1 throughput (and latency) when using Win 11 from a Strelec bootable USB stick and my main installation.

Any hints for optimization besides the mainstream ones (power profile settings etc.)?

Best

2 Likes

the bootable USB even has improvement while the intel device still formatted NTFS!?
in that case, it might just be an issue with the NT kernel.

maybe there’s some stupid caching rule thats in play?

Yes, same file system. The boot stick gets me to 400MB/s while on my actual setup it’s only about 270MB/s. Latency is 10us vs 15us as well.

Maybe the boot stick does not have HVCI/VBS enabled and this causes a hit on me. I have to try this out, but otherwise I don’t have the slightest idea what could cause the difference.

1 Like

To optimize Optane latency in Windows 11, disable device encryption and virtualization security, and adjust storage driver parameters.

1 Like

I finally tried with VBS disabled and indeed this was the culprit. Latency is now on pair with the nominal values.

It’s a shame you can’t disable VBS while still running features like Linux on Windows, Docker, etc. I don’t get why the whole host OS needs to be virtualized for these features to work…

1 Like