My .trash-1000 folder is still there. It's not in linux, but in Windows. And I can't delete it. (Dual Boot system)

nope. You mean sfc /scannow, or chdsk?

Edit: also not fsck in linux

i run ubuntu-server as my file server, which is debian based and i can't remember why i chose that over debian stable cause i run stable on my old laptop and it rocks. i'll pull it out once a month and there are little to no updates. i guess it really does not matter so much on a server that serves basically one person. so the 3 to 4 kernel updates it gets every month, a reboot is not going to interrupt things. but i can totally do anything to my main desktop and not worry about files. i also use clonezilla to capture my main system and if i york it i reload the image i made.

chdsk. just a gen check from the gui. see now i am learning something. did not know about sfc /scannow

i'm pretty sure you would only run fsck from inside linux on ext4 drives.

if you do see the directory try this

# rm -rf .Trash-1000/*

yeah, it's rather a low probability that sfc /scannow will solve it. The very good thing about sfc /scannow (in windows commandline) is that it is deleting Windows modifications. I use that to delete any kind of cracks, or other things that have been done to the Windows operating system. (like erasing a Windows activator/loader). I will do a backup and run chdsk. I will make a back up overnight, (this time really) and I will run chdsk.

Nice. I will remember that.

I went to the folder again in systemrescuecd, and tried to delete it with that syntax. Still no diffrence. It gives the same, long error. (Folders name is still: iamgoingtodie)

by the way: what diffrence is the; /* doing when writing rm -rf?

the * indicates all files. i saw it as a suggestion to a similar problem.. you might could try this

# chattr -i iamgoingtodie

then rm -rf. chattr removes what is called an immutable file bit. which locks it out from root.

OK, what's happening when doing this:

sysresccd windows # chattr -i iamgoingtodie

chattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device while reading flags on iamgoingtodie

I ignore it, and still write:

sysresccd windows # rm -rf. chattr

rm: invalid option -- '.'
Try 'rm --help' for more information.

that makes sense, the immutable bit is an extfs bit. i can't remember what you said about taking ownership (and of all the subdirectories) of the folder if you owned it an it still would not delete due to the contents which appeared to be steam files. i wonder if there is something in steam to jar the trash. i don't know much about steam... i figured i'd throw stuff out there. you have plenty of room so maybe you take your time like i do?

I get what you mean. I think running chdsk is the only option now.  I have still not backed up my hard drive. (That laptop starts getting used, when I need it, lol.) But yeah, that's right. I am not in a hurry at all ;).

Edit: What is an immutable extfs bit? I am just curious.

hey tried this in powershell if d is the directory and you can use ls in ps to list

PS D:> Remove-Item -Recurse -Force .Trash-1000

Did that now. PowerShell said to stuff like: the directory is not empty etc.

(by the way: I think you forgot the \ between the : and the D. Because in my prompt it looks like this:

PS F:\>

yup i forgot the slash. hey what's your /etc/fstab in debian look like?

Ok, strange thing:

root@debian:/home/arthur# cd /etc/fstab

bash: cd: /etc/fstab: Not a directory

So, I simply write:

root@debian:/home/arthur# /etc/fstab

bash: /etc/fstab: Permission denied

That's a WTF moment there. Why permission denied, if I (as super user) try to know if it exists, and (according to bash) it shouldn't, and if I do: ls it gives me the exact name? The folder doesn't appear in the graphical enviroment. And there is a folder that is called: fstab.d; it has nothing in it.

ah wait. I am an idiot. It's a file. I am going to post the picture soon. (format not applicable here)

OK. Here is a picture of the files content:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/963qi31kpm58fim/IMG_20140826_230059.jpg

confirm your user id is # 1000

$ id -u your_user_name

you can try mounting the ntfs volume at boot in debian by adding this to the end of the fstab file. you will need a mount point as you know with you as the owner.

/dev/sdb1 /path/to/a/mount/point ntfs-3g defaults,uid-1000,rw  0  0

after saving the file. see if there are any errors by typing this command to mount the "points" in fstab. 

# mount -a (as root)

or

$ sudo mount -a

i'm not sure if you have to reboot

try deleting the trash bin and the .trash-1000 as the user. 

if for some odd reason there is a boot error simply boot into rescue mode and comment out the line.

i remember you saying that you saw where other trash folders were made. if you do not delete a file but rather recycle it, a trash file will be made otherwise it is deleted as u probably know. sometimes the trash file is on the volume the file is on and sometimes it's in the home folder. i haven't got a good description of this in my head yet. but the trash file is just a disk pointer. it doesn't actually contain files unless you copy them into the folder itself. of course if the writable bit on the disk is marked unwritable then you might as well have the file. whether that is happening and the sectors on the drive are actually writable or there is reporting error i don't know.

anyway was just reading and found this.