My Next Upgrade: R5 1400 or 8370

So, I found boards with classic PCI and I found boards with good VRM, I didn't find one that has both.
It seems to be a cheap way to fill the board with slots, at least that's what I would assume so far.

Stock cooler!

1 Like

I had a 200M with my phenom. I had 3 coolers I went through. 1st: Cooled like shit. 50C when I oc'd. 2nd: did better. 45C. 200M?: 25C idle, 38C at full load.

The Wraith Spire is an excellent stock cooler. This isn't Intel's shit we are talking about.

You can OC to like 3.8 on that stock cooler and it is still pretty quiet.

Still, it's free. That fits your budget better.

Actually if I don't do the case and fans I'm under my budget significantly.

They've updated the design since, and the chip you're getting has a 65w tdp

Still, I'd rather have not all neon in my case :expressionless: I like the 200M. I wish I had kept mine but someone needed a cooler.

When Ryzen 3 comes out in 2 days it will be interesting to see if anyone does a showdown between the R3 and the 8370 since they will both be at the same price.

Since the OP does not like overclocking I would point out some of the non-K intel offerings have some value when on sale or open box and should at least be considered IMHO

You can get a REALLY REALLY nice telescope at Telescopes.com and let this thread dissolve into a really juicy flamewar:)

you could use that money to update your ancient pci breakouts, or on ram, or a better processor. Just disable the LED in bios

So, you wanna buy a CPU with a perfectly fine cooler, not overclock it, buy a second cooler and cheap out on the board.
............... yeah, great plan, have fun. :+1:

1 Like

I only suggest it in this case because of him saying he can get a cheap 990fx cheap. I wouldn't consider it much of a risk. I've been Overclocked on my 8350 for 4 years. Not always at 4.9 which is where I'm at now but still. I have no issues running anything pleasantly. Is it the best? Of course not. I agree ryzen is SOOOOOO much better. But if he just wants it to run it'll do it.

1 Like

I looked up on the Asus A board and people who have used the PCI slots have noted that its not stable. Either the ports die a few months after purchase or don't hold their bandwidth. I would pin that to the controller Asus used. I'd have to wait a few months for the next matufac batch to kick up, or I could get a board that suits my needs and seems to run fine for many other people that buy them.

Also, 130 -160 bucks for a motherboard sounds ridiculous to me. The fact that prices are allowed to skyrocket for retarded reasons like that are what hurt potential buyers.

I asked earlier if there was any big negatives to the board I chose. I didn't get anything back, dug up reviews from users, I'm not disappointed. If you have anything to say about Biostar boards, go ahead then. I'm all ears. But I have had a good history with them so I expect the same quality.

Just don't buy a second cooler and invest in a better board. The Biostar B350 is around 110,- bucks. My Asus Prime X370 Pro with more PCIe and a way better VRM layout is 40,- bucks more. Or as you put it "ridiculous".

Btw. I agree, the Asus Prime X370 A looks to be a cheap board, just like the Biostar.

Question:
I can get mobo and FX8300 cheaper than R5 1400. I have the ram and the cooler already fits the socket.
Is it worth spending double the price for the new platform with board, ram, new retention brackets for the cooler, etc?
FX8300 can easily be pushed to 8350 levels with no issues.
I know Ryzen is way better, but for similar price I may not be able to get even the upcoming Ryzen 3…

I mean thats basically what I asked earlier. Depends on your use case.

in productivity the 1300 is beating the 8370 in productivity and soundly beating it in games according to GN

1 Like

The 1400 comes with a cooler. Don’t buy brackets, sell your cooler, use that money to narrow the financial gap.

also, if he goes with ryzen he can keep his old system as a NAS, router or small application server.

NH-D14… I’m not selling it away…

In cinebench the FX is kinda spanking R3 and is not so far behind R5 quad cores.
I get the advantages, but damn, the FX is dirt cheap… I mean really dirt cheap.

Cinebench is not at all representative of actual performance. It’s also less than 100 points. That’s not huge. A 1300X OCed will be about the same.

In real benching of real workloads the 1300X almost always beats the 8370. While using 1/3 the power. Plus it isn’t on a dead socket. You can easily upgrade to a new CPU later. Especially since AM4 is going to last until 2020.

No offense but just save up a bit more. Buying FX now is dumb.

1 Like