My Next Upgrade: R5 1400 or 8370

Have you looked at what options you have with your current mb and what socket? Which xeon do you have and how much ram?
No one wants to ditch 16 gig of ram. And no one wants to upgrade an older socket and have the mb or ram fail 6 months later
I do feel the clocks on Ryzen 2 (hopefully next year) will be better then what is out now.

Once I upgraded from a 486 DX4/120 to a 5x86 133, the upgrade looked impressive on the bargraphs in the reviews.
Afterwards I could tell it was a little faster but I knew I just blew a bunch of cash and felt like a moron, main reason I post the way I do

Right so I'm doing a 1600.... Whats a good board? I was going to do a biostar for the PCI (I need it) but is there another board that might be better?

I guess if you absolutely need PCI... The Asus Prime X370....

Personally, I'd take whatever PCI card you have and throw it in the trash where it belongs.

1 Like

You actually can patch Windows 7 with this tool to work on Ryzen and recieve updates. YMMV though as I haven't tried it.

1 Like

Actually I disagree. Overclocked as high as I can, I can play any title out there @ high or better @1440p. That's with my cruddy 8350. ONLY If you can only afford a potato, it'll work.

1 Like

First generation i7s still do the trick as well with a similar IPC to FX yet I don't see anyone reccomending those. Just because something is currently still doing okay doesn't make it wise as a new purchase, just okay for an existing machine.

3 Likes

Well yeah that helps. But considering Ryzen can perform just as well without an OC and the associated risks and drawbacks it doesn't make sense.

Prob GPU limited there. "Playable" doesn't mean you aren't bottlenecking either

The 8350 should not be considered.... Not new...

1 Like

Uhm, like 10GBit NIC? Or some fast SSD? 0o
We are talking PCIe, right? Not classic PCI?
Because the Prime X370 Pro does not have classic PCI.

You can't get away cheaping out on the board for FX, you also can't use the stock cooler when overclocking on that platform. That is two strikes against AM3+ and then there is performance.... Two years ago it was different but now? No, FX is dead.

No like 32 bit bus PCI :}

This is what I was going to get.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138446&cm_re=b350_Biostar-_-13-138-446-_-Product

Ah, ok. What kind of card is that important that it has to be carried over?

1 Like

I have a couple cards that I need to use for stuff. At the moment its a wifi card, but theres hardware I used to use for stress testing hard drives that I got used that connected on PCI. Theres other hardware too, but no reason to list.

No. Classic lol. Of course pcie is useful Haha

The Prime X370 Pro doesn't but the Prime X370-A does... It has two for some reason

lol I think I'll do the biostar. Dat Typ C.

2 Likes

Are you done yet?

What? I've only posted twice. Also, when I'm done depends on when you mention that you're benchmarking SCSI deskstars and using 802.11b

Glad to see you're being sensible and going with AM4 btw.

Maybe just keep the testing stuff and whatever in one old system and dedicate that specifically to those use cases?

Oh, there is another one. OK, now that makes sense. :+1:

That is actually pretty sick, is that added by some controller or is it supported natively on Ryzen?

Its the same deal for why I would want 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 floppy drives.

Alright what mobo do you suggest?

Alright. I think I'll be doing this then.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zpnqzM

I have 120 now so it'll be a while :U

I'm not sure tbh. I think it has to be add on but not sure