My Next Upgrade: R5 1400 or 8370

I know I'm gunna get shit, but in any case....

I need an upgrade. My budget is about 320. I'm between an 8370 and a 1400. I need more cores and the single core performance of the 8370 is pretty much equal to my Xeon that I have at the moment. If I go Ryzen I have to buy ram on top of CPU, cooler, and mobo. If I go FX I only need to really buy CPU and mobo. At that I can get a 990FX board pretty cheap in my area.

So then. What should I do.

Ryzen, it's worth the extra 25-50$, the gainz are too sick to ignore, especially if you don't plan to overclock. Plus you can slap something else in later without having to buy a whole new platform.

5 Likes

I agree, the 1400 is a nice base to start. On the FX side you have nowhere to go. Price/performance the 1600 wins right now. You get 2 cores, 4 threads more and a higher quality cooler in the box for 50,- bucks more.

Fx shouldnt be a consideration at this point for any reason. Ryzen is far too cheap to consider FX a sane alternative.

5 Likes

Even the low end quad cores will generally out perform FX by a significant margin.

Although @FaunCB I really would save up a tiny bit more and get a 1600. It is only about $40 more and worth the extra cash. the 1600 is significantly faster

BTW the 1400 and 1600 come with a CPU cooler and it is actually pretty good. So no need to buy one.

2 Likes

The Only reason I could see to update to the fx is if you do not want to run windows 10 and you are stuck in the windows ecosystem, since that is the only windows version supported on the ryzen or for that matter kaby lake and later cpu's. If you run linux then it would be a waste of money to buy anything other than ryzen right know, imho.

Even with the additional cost of ram, buy the least expensive ddr4 and upgrade it or add to it later. you can get 8 gb's of 2400 for around $60 from newegg, then a b350 for between 65-75 then the 1600 for $215 which puts you around $350. or save 50 and get the 1400.

2 Likes

unless you can get the fx super cheap used, ryzen

The only reason to purchase anything FX is if you already have ram and a motherboard lying around, in which case Ryzen would be significantly more expensive. Keep in mind that "cheaping out" on the motherboard for a FX 8 core is basically asking for it to go wrong in epic fashion, which only strengthens the argument to purchase Ryzen, which you can legitimately buy budget for the motherboard if your on a 6 or 4 core. Ram is definitely more expensive for Ryzen since you really want 3200Mhz or more, but DDR3 isn't exactly cheap either, and the delta of a lower motherboard cost can be put into the ram assuming the cost of a 1400 and the cost of a 8370 is basically a wash at only a $8 delta.

The biggest part of it is that I do still have a use for windows 7 as its got a lot of compatibility woth xp and 2k that actually works, whichbis still kind if important to me. Past the fact that I already have 16 gb of ram that I thought was 1600 but turns out it goes to 1866 under load.

I don't really need 3200. I'm not doing science or cad or anything like that. 3ghz ram already sounds insane to me. I'm just losing a lot of stuff by going to ryzen that I win't really have access to anymore. Plus I can get an m5a99x R2 for not much.

Hmm

Windows 7 will still technically work but a lot of drivers will be fubared but basic functionality should all be there. You could dual boot 10 and 7.

Does it have to be an FX8370? I recently picked up a second hand FX8320 cheap. It seems to be perfectly happy with all cores @ 4.2GHz and outperforms an 8370 at stock.

If you can get a 99X board for cheap and any FX83xx cheap it would be a lot less than a brand new Rzyen. If you are only save a few dollars then get the lastest tech and sell your old RAM etc.

I don't like to overclock. If I can buy a stock clock I feel better about it.

If you insist on getting something older that has 7 support get Haswell. Otherwise get Ryzen. Again FX is garbage at this point there are better choices both in performance and price to performance ratio.

2 Likes

Haswell is actually a really good idea. You might find something used that is reasonably priced now because of the new AMD stuff and the IPC performance is similar.

Hmmm I'll keep that in mind. Though I didn't realize how cheap the 1600 was....

Ehh. Perhaps. Intel chips hold onto their value. 4770s and 4790s will prob cost around the same as a 1600 or even more....

So I'd say that as a last resort only. I'd personally go with a 1600.

It goes on sale all the time too. I think one place had it for less than $200 the other day and the cooler you get with it is actually really nice.

Imo the 4 core Ryzen chips make little sense.

1 Like

to me the 4 core ryzen chips represent the budget build market for a high schooler where every dollar matters and you're working 10 hours a week for minimum wage.

Aight. I'll have to keep an eye on that then.

I suppose. Like they aren't a terrible option but the 1600 is so close in price.... I'd rather save up a few more weeks and grab one.

Ryzen 3 will be the budget king especially since Intel is killing of the new HT Pentium

go ryzen.
also both of my 1600 sticks of kingsotne hyperx can do 2k. i never tried pushing them further as im happy with a 400mghz oc but i didnt even have to up the voltage. the 1866 ram i have can be pushed further also but i cant remember how far and i went back to stock after pushing too far. didnt see any noticable gains unlike the 1600 ram which loaded chrome almost a second faster.