Minisforum BD770i Troubles [Solved]

Guys, I’m the guy who posted that 1* review on the official site and then they had my review removed.

My original complaint was this Mobo was CPU overheating unreasonably, after taking everything apart, there was no thermal paste covering 1/3 of both dies and the pastes were dried and brittle, so removing them all and repasted myself solved this issue.

2 weeks later, suddenly maybe after an Nvidia driver update, I can’t boot the PC suddenly. Turns out it’s not recognizing the GPU anymore due to the riser cable (device manager on rtx3070ti shows code10), viewing using HDMI on the igpu.

Unplugging the riser cable and plugging in the 3070ti directly into the pcie slot resolved the problem, but now I can’t use my dame sff case lianli A4-H2O or any other sandwich style case that uses a riser, there is nothing wrong with the riser, it was tested with at least 3 other desktop systems.

After finding this thread, I updated the bios to 1.05 hoping to resolve the riser cable issue, a small improvement now, with the riser cable on the 3070ti, I booted into windows with slow graphical glitches, but trying to view cpuz or gpuz or anything else post the login screen, it’ll bsod “video TDR failure”

So what now ? Just buy a new case that doesn’t need a riser and move on with my life or you guys have any luck successfully using a GPU riser ???

Please advise…

The Board runs fine in my System with an Riser… (DAN Cases A4-SFX V4.1) … ive no Problems with the 3M Riser that came with it and neither Problems with the ADT Gen4 (V.4) 18cm Riser i bought especially for this Build.

Runs just fine since 3 Weeks beside the Problem with the RTX 4070 ti at the beginning.
In the meantime i switched to the RX 6800 MBA cuz i like the AMD Driver…

Maybe ur Board have a defective PEG Slot? What does the Support say about this issue? (Support_at_Minisforums.com)

Besides that… its a shame that ur CPU was only covered by paste for 1/3 - your model seems to be a monday one sadly.

BUT - that the Paste is dry and brittle is normal in “customer” Systems - it have to be there for a very looooong time in the worst case and so this paste is like this… it wont age that much if there is not that much silicone or other carriermaterial inside which can bleed out.

Ill change mine to Thermal Grizzly Kryosheet as soon as iam in the Mood to do it.

And something else: Not that anyone, who read this thread, thinks that every Board that hits 90°C under load is defective… NO! The CPUs are designed that way!

They overclock emselfes until they reach a limit of their programming… this is mainly Temperature or Powerdraw.

If they reach a limit they will level down (not throttle!) to a state in Specs… remember: Guaranteed is only the “Base Speed” which is 3.6Ghz Allcore for the 7745HX.

Hope i could help a bit.

P.S: Ive read ur Review on official Site - guess it was ur Style of writing [aggressive af] that have got it removed. May be iam wrong, but i remember it that way… also took me a while to come through their Support - but only with patience and very simple English… as someone said, there seems to be just Google Translate with the normal Support Dudes.

Thats why i highly recommend you to write at the Support Mail i put above - they seem to be competent

i posted there (minisforum purchase review) seeking help, i also before that had emailed their support, it was sent on 26th Dec on a sunday to be fair to them but till TODAY, there has been no replies to my email, my wife is from China, i aint racist, but these guys sucks, i even emailed them myself to rant about my findings (read below), i panicked and just post there and emailed every email they had, did not get any response, and i solved the overheating problem myself.

It was IDLING at 90’c with a 120mm slim fan on max speed, even i can tell that this is not normal behavior, even swapping out the 120mm fan into an ARTIC PWM MAX with 3000+ RPM cooled it to the 80s whilst i have to endure the fan whines. So i got pissed and just took the mobo out of my case and took apart the heatsink and had that GOTCHA moment, I eventually got to liquid cool it with conductonaut and it idles low 50s, anyways it was a problem solved and also the reason why i did not try to RMA it, cuz i already liquid metaled the die and applied thermal coating around the whole die cuz i really wanted to see how much LQM will improve the cooling, guess that voids my warranty.

But i aint buying anymore mobos from these guys anymore, they are famous for their minipcs but i dont need mini pcs, i am very pissed because this was actually a test buy, what i want was their more expensive 7945HX model and/or the intel one, i would had immediately bought their AR900i with the i9-13900HX if there wasn’t this thermal paste shite, the bad support and this stupid riser issue. The whole experience was frustratingly dissapointing.

Also again to be fair to them, the riser cable that came with the lianli A4-H2O is not of the best quality out there, can see many complaints on it online, i have come to terms that i should either buy a better quality riser cable from a known brand or get an ITX case that doesnt require risers, the ZZAW B3 or C2 models seems nice.

Anyways, thanks alot for the riser recommendation, it seems my region dont have 3M risers but i have seen ADT brand cables on taobao, will check that out, thanks bro.

NP man, hope they work for ya.

Hehe, had also another story b4 my board even arrived… PREordered it on their Webshop when they announced the BD770i… the delivery was expected in Dezember when they arrive in EU…

Then, in middle December a friend of mine told me that theyre already available on Amazon Germany… but my PREorder was still not delivered…

So i contacted Support to ask whats goin on… just to get told that theyre sorry and have factory-issues in producing enough for demand… delivery expected for early January (!)

In other Words: Amazon got Boards, the ppl wo PREordered not… n1.

So i ordered one on Amazon (arrived the Day after) and needed 8 more Days to cancle my PREorder.

Was fun… but also an experience how to handle their support. :wink:

I just built a replacement for my main gaming rig into a Fractal Terra using the BD770i board as I no longer care to a have a Full eATX case taking up valuable desk real-estate in my home office.

I ordered mine directly from the Minisforums site Tuesday Dec 19th just before Christmas while I was out of town for the holidays and was expecting it to arrive well after I got back home. It made it all the way from China to SoCal the day after Christmas 26th, the same day I got back home and was sitting at my door for me when I got home from the airport. So no complaints on shipping with mine to the US.

The system specs on the new rig is a Fractal Terra case, Corsair 750W Platinum PS, 32GB G.Skill 5600 (@5200) and a Sapphire 7800XT due to size limits.

I started my build like Wendall showed with the Artic Cool P12 Slim and it was fine but it did hit 90C on the CPU quite often but was really due to that slim fan not really pushing enough air. Now, since I do have the room in the Terra, it is running the Artic P12 full fan and it will spike at some times to 78C but during gaming sessions from HWinfo. It settles around 67-68C and idles around 38-42C which I look as good-great on temps.

@R3nt4p I was tempted to pop off the Heat sink on my unit and apply Kryonaut X but left it be as I through they came with LQM already applied and temps with full fan were doing fine. If you can confirm, was it just normal grey paste on yours?

It’s just Paste. But when the temps are fine, why change? :thinking:

Leave this Option open when it’s necessary :+1:t3:

(I’ve also a KryoSheet laying around for this board… But since the temps are fine, even with P12 Slim in my A4 Build… I’ve no need or hurry to change it…)

Im glad to have chance upon this post. just received my BD770i and got it up and running last night. Updating the drivers with files from the minisforum website was easy.

Hoping to get a gigabyte LP 4060 for it and the guide above will certainly help us alot.

Had some issue with my lan connection but after some troubleshoot, its likely due to my aging ASUS AX88U router. After resetting the system, managed to get the lan up and running.

Hm, no Problems at all here - maybe you should look via Mobile WiFi for a acutal Driver… (dont remember sadly but mine worked out of the Box without installing any Driver - you use Win11?)

Btw my Build is finally finished. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Do any of you guys know the approximate max height with a 120mm slim fan? I’m really close to buying this and putting it in a velka 7 case which has a limit of 48mm?

From Wendell’s video looks like he can fit a gpu at slot 7 and looking at the fractal terra spec it says at slot 7 the CPU clearance would be 48mm.

hey, just wanted to confirm if thats in a Dan A4? With a cpu cooler height limit of 48mm? Trying to build in a velka 7.

Yes it is.
It matches like a glove. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The mistake the most guys do is, that they say this “48mm”… it isnt the Case with a Board that have a Mobile CPU…

Why? Because there is no Socket and no IHS on the CPU which must be added when those Casemanufacturers give their Measurements… :upside_down_face:

It will fit in the Velka 7 perfectly. Just dont forget to buy some M2.5x14 Screws. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for replying! Gonna definitely get it - what are your temps like at idle/load?

Thats why this is a Forum, right? :crazy_face:

Well, idle with P12 Slim @700-800 RPM the CPU is running at 40-60°C (depends if its really IDLE or Video/Music Playback etc)… under HEAVY Loads u will hit 90°C - but dont worry, thats what these CPUs are designed for…

They try to keep Clocks as high as possible in their Limits - usually the first limit u reach is the temperaturelimit.

But thats only if ure doin hard stuff like de-/compile or de-/compress… or if u like playing Cinebench or Prime95 of corse ^^

When iam Gaming (RoboCop Prime Directives for example) the highest ive seen so far is bout 70-80 Degrees Celsius. All Green :slight_smile:

Funfact: Ive a Thermal Grizzly KryoSheet lying around cuz i wanted to apply it as soon as the Board arrived… but i decided to give it a shoot without…

Guess what… the Thermals are so green that i didnt do it… maybe in the Summer, dunno… but for now iam VERY happy with this little Gem.

I’m having issues installing an OS at all. Secure boot is stopping me from booting into my VenToy, and the BIOS options don’t let me disable secure boot, all the options are greyed out.

I wanted to try flashing the BIOS, but I don’t have an OS on there… and i’d really really rather avoid using windows, but i guess i’ll have to bite that bullet now…

Thanks for the headsup with the whole PCIe speeds, i’ll be sure to keep an eye out for visual glitches.

EDIT: I DID figure out how to disable Secure Boot about 5 minutes after complaining about it. Oh the Irony. If anyone finds is and is wondering how to, you have to set an admin and/or (not sure) user password in the BIOS, then reset, then you can disable secure boot.

2 Likes

Thy Mate - that was EXACTLY what a friend of mine asked me yesterday and id not hat time to check it out. <3

very appreciated.

1 Like

Did anyone ever manage to test the PCIe bifurcation since it became available on 1.04? I was planning on getting either this or the 790i but according to Minisforum support neither actually supports bifurcation. Except that the pic of the bios seems to indicate otherwise.

Any chance anyone here tested it?

Its in the UEFI and u can switch it there as you want… Someone must test it, why not you? :wink:

@TheBard Technically the platform does support bifurcation as it is a mobile platform and the PCIe lanes are almost always bifurcated out to various other hardware from OEMs in their mobile designs. At launch Minisforum did not support bifurcation on the BD770i which is what they are probably referencing. The IO die in the platform does support bifurcation or otherwise they would not have been able to add the option in later in the BIOS on the AMD platform.

The 7945HX most likely uses the same IO die as the 7745HX or one that might be bit higher end. So if the 7745HX can physically support bifurcation on the 16x slot, the 7945HX should. It will just be up to Minisforums to add that option into the BIOS on the 790i. In all honesty, the BIOS should be close if not the same as the BD770i as they are basically the same platform.

Who much is your boot time with this motherboard ?
After a start/restart is does take ages for i got the minisforum bootscreen.
The pc is on, after long time the lights on my 3060ti goes on, the monitor stays in standby and after 45 seconds the minisforum screen appears.
the bios-time is 66 seconds :flushed: