Minisforum BD770i Troubles [Solved]

Hi Guys, iam new to this Forum and landed here cuz of the Video on Youtube about the Board in the Topic.

It performs well as far i can tell and iam happy with it, but ive seen some strange behavior and iam not sure its just a view bug or a real problem…

System Specs:

DAN A4-SFX 4.1 Case
Corsair SF750 Platinum PSU
Minisforum BD770i Board
2x16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 CL48 @5200 CL46
2x Corsair MP700 NVMe SSDs (1Tb + 2Tb)
Inno3D RTX 4070 Ti X3 OC

The Problem is: It seems to perform well in the Benchmarks and so on, but i noticed some… glitches… it not felt like before in my other System with Ryzen 5800X3D even if the FPS where similar.

So i started looking for what could be the reason for that… and i maybe found it:

CPU-Z, GPU-Z and HWiNFO64 show the Card running at PCIe 1.0/1.1 x16 even under load… in CPU-Z it shows that PCIe 1.0 is the maximum Supported with x16 2.5GT/s…

I since then totally dismantled the System and made an open Desk Built, to be able to slot in the GPU without Riser (Have 2 Risers tested before in the A4: an ADT Gen4 and the 3M Riser that came with the A4 4.1) and it shows the same behavior when directly in the GPU Slot as with the risers…

Is this a Bug or what could it be? How i can test properly at which speed the GPU is connected?

Best regards,

Martin

More Pics:

Iirc you can set the bus speed to gen3 in the bios

Thats the Problem: I did not find any Option for that… on my previous Motherboard there was a Option to fix to 3.0 4.0… but not at this Board, the Bios… or UEFI… whatever is very rudimentary.

1 Like

Well… its definitively not just a view bug…

Do anyone know what the guys Name in the Youtube Video is in this Forum?? …edit…Wendell… Sorry man… :roll_eyes::disappointed:

Name of the Video cuz i cant post Link:

MinisForum BD770i: It’s a Motherboard??

I believe if anyone can help me, then its him… i hope so at least… :confused:

Martin

return that thing, it’s called RMA, or is there a reason why you are not in contact with Minisforum support?

…or just don’t cheap hardware from random chinese manufacturers with little to no qa?

iam contacted em and waiting for reply (its sunday meanwhile u know). Edit: I dont think its a Board Issue… at least not right now.

Ohhhhh… diizzy…now i get it. If you guys are not interested in LevelOne Tech, why ure replying here? Minisforum a “random chinese manufacturers” … yay

This is a unique Board and its released just a few days b4, iam just trying to figure out if anone who also buyed it have similar problems to figure out if this is just a nvidia related problem or also with amd cards… thats why i ordered an RX 6800 Reference Card in the meantime (only Card with good performance from AMD which fits right now into DAN A4-SFX 4.1) …

Or on the other Hand: Do you have any other Board that have similar capabilitys for SFF Build like that? Just curious cuz its my 20th. DAN-A4 Build and only my 2nd one for myself (the other ones where for Customers…)

best regards,

Martin

I guess you’ve missed all the other issues people have reported about their products which points to poor qa however you get what you pay for so it is expected corners needed to be cut. If you’ve already shipped a bunch to customers did this issue bypass you on all other builds?

PCIe training occurs once during power up and is not something that done on demand so it doesn’t matter whether the device is under load or not.

Ive not made 20 A4-SFX Builds with this Board… its the first one with this board but i built 20 in total sorry if i explained this not correctly, i meant is there any other board with that capabilitys right now to replace that board - cuz this board was the reason ive build finally one again for myself. (2* PCIe 5.0 M.2 & PCIe 5.0 x16 Slot - Showcase…)

But thats not the Topic here…

PCIe Training… Memory get trained - at least DDR5… but PCIe Slot Bandwith / Version? Its either there or not there, and thats the point.

could be a power saving mechanism that is not working properly, deactivate all power saving mechanisms in Windows and Nvidia driver

1 Like

Like for this answer from me Janos - that was my first thought, but sadly it doesnt matter.

The Board itself reports the PCIe Version as 1.0/1.1 - at least with an nvidia Card. As i said i especially ordered an RX 6800 in the meantime.

My hope was, that someone who also bought this board (and chances are much higher in english-speaking countrys then over here in germany) could take a look at his setup to find out if iam an isolated case with that, or if this is a Hardware (i dont think cuz of 7745HX Specs) or BIOS/UEFI Related Issue (my guess)…

And btw… 480€ are not “cheap” For that Money i could have ordered for example an ASRock B650I Lightning WiFi and an Ryzen 7700… or for a little more even with an ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I …

I have a theory that the board is not retraining too much once it has problems. Try direct connected GPU then load setup defaults / totally reset the bios. By jumper if you need to l.

There isn’t currently an option to force pcie mode but thatight be in a hidden AMD CBS menu so I’m looking for that. I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine forcing 3.0 mode.

Finally double check pcie link power management and set it to off on windows. It’s somewhat normal for an idle GPU to go to 1.1 mode to save powe… but in gpuz if you hit the ? And test that usually bumps the speed up

2 Likes

Thanks for your Reply wendell,

thats what ive done the whole day, no change at all… i even tested the hybrid GPU Mode so that the iGPU from the 7745 is running on Desk and RTX 4070 Ti is only used under heavy Loads —> this works very nice surprisingly… but dont change anything about that the GPU in the PEG Slot is running at 1.0/1.1 x16 only. Its normal for nVidia GPUs to go back in PCIe Link Speed, but in this Case the Board dont deliver more than that…

And it even get reported as that, changing any PCIe Power Management Modes dont change anything… :confused:

Have you tried to use an nVidia as well as an AMD Card in there? Is there a difference? That was - so far - a thought from a friend of mine.

1 Like

What I forgot: there is a Jumper or pins on the board to reset the bios? There is nothing in the manual and I couldn’t identify them when I watched out for it.

Can you tell me where it is located?

Small update on my end: I yesterday evening tested both Risers (3M and ADT) in my old Rig (Coolermaster NR200) with 5800X3D on ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax, both are running fine at PCIe 4.0 x16 with the Inno3D RTX 4070 X3 OC.

Somehow I deleted the post before via phone. :roll_eyes::face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I also informed the Minisforum support about my troubleshooting and what I’ve done so far… Now I’ve to wait for their response and for the RX 6800.

Thats the Situation right now and it will stay like that until ive a solution. :slight_smile:

Funny how Corsairs SF Boxes and SF Powersupplys are perfect in Dimensions to make a Test-Build on the Desk. :ok_hand:

Made several complete Retrainings in the meanwhile and it still reports only PCIe 1.0/1.1 (I still didnt find the Bios-Jumper Posts on the Board, there are 2 possible candidates, but theyre not marked like that and i dont want to short anything just in case it is the right one. One is sitting left of the Front-USB3.1 Connector, one is sitting between Cooler and 4+4 CPU-Powerconnector).

But i guess when the screen stays blank at the beginning, after 2-3min the Keyboard lights up, and after another Minute or so finally the Screen comes on it have made a complete Training? Monitor is plugged into the nVidia just to be precise.

If the RX 6800 shows no different Behavior (whenever this week it will come) the Board will go back and i´ll buy another (identical) one. But i dont want to give it back just because it could still be an UEFI/Bios Issue…

Just for Entertainment: This was the Build as he was planed b4 i realised there is something wrong. :roll_eyes:

EditX - ive… just for doublechek… have put the Inno3D RX 4070 Ti back into my “old” RIG… the RTX 4070 Ti works just fine as you can See… First Pic Load, 2nd Pic Idle. (The missing PhysX is cuz its Windows Standard Driver - the System is the Christmas Present for my Sister in Law so i had to install Windows 11 on it just for Check)

Now ive my Peace :dotted_line_face: to be sure nothing have gone wrong on my Side of things and can wait for the things that will come.

1 Like

Update:

@wendell i guess that could be interesting for you :upside_down_face:

Edit: Its the same Board, everything the same… i just pulled out the nVidia, after i wiped the Driver via DDU in Safemode, made a Reset/Retraining and plugged the RX 6800 in… thats all.

2 Likes

for the real mind bender, swap back to the nvidia. it seems like when it trains at 1.1, it doesn’t really want to retrain but if it trains clean at 4.0 it’ll stay there

I already did this, and nope, it was back at 1.0 as before. :confused:

Its a shot into the Blue (can i say this in english?) but i think the Firmware simply can not communicate properly with the nVidia Card… i can swap forth and back - AMD 4.0, nVidia 1.0…

it is possible to unlock the bios and force pcie mode, too, but I am saving that for the nuclear option to see what support says.

1 Like

I tried to tell em whats going on, they dont seem to understand… even with Pictures and so on.
I still wait for Reply on my last Mail - if it get answered ill forward my new findings (they seem to be confused enough for now)…

My guess is that the Guy/Girl on the other end uses Google Translate or somethin similar - its very annoying to be honnest to explain again and again just to begin from zero every time.

Ill use the RX 6800 for now, dont think that there will be any Change soon (especially not short b4 Christmas/New Year)…

Maybe a Friend of mine have use for the 4070 Ti in the meantime… to check this out i dont need to have an 850€ GPU laying around - i guess an 3060 or so will also do to confirm if they worked on it IF a new Bios/UEFI will released.