Mass Effect Trilogy, Yay or nay; Remastered Trilogy?

• Yes, just get all three games now
  • No, wait and see what happens

0 voters

So I started this thread with the intention of finally playing all of the ME Trilogy and ALL DLC. IDC about opinions on which DLC sux dix n’ cox! I just want them all for completion sake. So… Is that thread still relevant with the information? Or is there some truth in what I heard someone tell me. Someone told me that I should hold off on getting the trilogy as they possibly might remaster it and logically, include all DLC with it? Kind of seems strange to me that they would remaster HD-era games like that. I mean, ok, ok. Skyrim technically got a “remaster” but I think that was just due to its success. Regardless, still seems unlikely to me.

Is this plausible? Get the trilogy and buy all DLC or wait for this supposed remastered trilogy?

Sorry for the brainfart but what is ME?

FIX’D. Woops.

1 Like

Buy trilogy and crack that ridiculous dlc scheme, its easiest way to make sure you get complete experience

Downsampling it couple resolutions down makes wonders
and/but config tweaks are messy

Mass Effect.

@Prenihility great series as it is. ME1 has some bugs on 64 bit systems, but they’re easily fixable. I’d say that I really did enjoy all the story dlc, although there is some of it that is horse armor.

Be sure to play it in order and take your time to explore the world around you. There are tons of hidden gems and beautiful things in the world.

2 Likes

The lore is very strong in the ME series. Make sure you comb over the codex in each game if you’re looking for that level of depth.

I doubt they’ll get a remaster, at least not anytime soon. They look and run well already.

1 Like

They do, but mass Effect 1 feels a bit clunky compared to me2/me3. It feels like a chore to play through it, not because of the story, but because the entire game feels kinda hard to interact with. In fact, I’d say that mass Effect 1 has the best story. The game I enjoy the most though, is ME2.

May I add that the HD texture packs for all the games are a must have if you have a mid-level gpu made in the last 4 years? They are what I’d call faithful reproductions, so it’s not a sin like some mods are.

2 Likes

The Mass Effect trilogy is definitely up there on the list of favorite games for me. It’s almost solely because of the story and setting. The gameplay mechanics are pretty forgettable and basic for the most part. Sometimes it can become a bit tiresome. Mass Effect’s implementation of the cover shooter mechanic can really suck sometimes.

As others have said, ME1 does feel clunky and a bit grindy compared to the other two. However, I do distinctly remember really, really enjoying playing ME1 when it came out. So maybe those feelings only come about after playing the last two games then going back to the original later?

I found that adjusting the FOV helps a lot when playing. Especially in ME1. By default it’s very narrow, and widening it up gives a better perspective on the world. There are guides out there for binding a key so each time you start the game you can set the FOV wider.

I’ll have to look at the texture packs. I tried starting ME1 a few months ago, and my playing it just sort of fell off. It’s difficult for me to play games nowadays and stay interested. Maybe the mods will help with that. Give the games something new. I know ME1 could use some help.

The Remastered Trilogy is news to me. To be honest I’d probably buy it even though I own both hard and digital copies of each game, as well as most of the DLC. Depending on what they do with it, it may turn out to be “the definitive” version.

I say just get everything and have fun. If you’re on the fence, maybe watch some playthrough videos from early game. Avoid spoilers if you don’t know the story. There’s definitely at least one “oh shit” moment where the plot takes a sudden turn and everything becomes clear. For some reason that moment sticks with me, and is part of the reason I like the story so much.

2 Likes

That’s because the true genius of Mass Effect is not the gameplay, but the story.

Show me another game that you gain such a strong emotional attachment to the characters through. you can’t.

Oh, absolutely. I played it when it first came out, and it definitely worked well, but I started losing my willpower to play it again after ME2 came out, thinking “just get through this story so I can import my save into the next game”

Oh, I never tried that. Makes sense though, that really does explain why ME1 always felt a bit wrong.

Yeah, those of us who have too much time in the series (myself included) knew it was only a matter of time, especially considering how ME: A fell short. I’m eager to see what they do, since some remasters really make the games enjoyable, but I will not buy it unless it’s a really good remaster. More over, I’m hoping they pull a Skyrim and allow people who already own the game to just play it.

You can’t really watch playthroughs without getting spoilers. My recommendation: read a no-spoilers review of the first game, then make the final decision.

Let me put it this way: If you enjoyed the Witcher series, Mass Effect is for you. If you think Call of Duty (or Fortnite) is the pinnacle of modern gaming, you’ll probably be disappointed.

EDIT: accidentally pasted a link

Another thing: Mass Effect 1 starts off extremely slow, but 2 and 3 drop you right in the thick of it. If you feel that it’s a bit slow or boring, just push through the first two hours of ME1 and you’ll really start enjoying it.

Oh, forgot one extremely important thing:

The musical score in this series is hands down second to none.

From Vigil to Suicide Mission, there has never been a soundtrack that so effectively captures the mood and entrances the player in the experience of the game.

Eleven years later, I still find myself moved by the scores of these games. If I could get them on vinyl, I would.

Nothing evokes a hopeful sci-fi vibes more than Vigil theme. hnnng

Don’t bother with ME:A tho, that shit’s wack.

2 Likes

Why remaster? It’s not that old.
Why not make some new GOOD games in that universe? Or don’t do anything at all, and leave them as they are. They are fine.

After ME3 backlash followed by “my face is tired” Andromeda, the Anthem has every chance of becoming a final nail in EAware’s coffin. I doubt there will be a remaster of ME trilogy. It’s dead.

It was with ME1, which was very much a hard sci-fi story/setting. They started to slip on that with ME 2, though it was still an enjoyable game and story, and by ME 3 it had all gone to shit.

ME1 will always be my favorite of the series, warts and all.

1 Like

Bioshock and Mass Effect came out in the same year, and it got a remaster, so it’s possible, but I haven’t heard anything about it.

I would go ahead and get them. No sense in waiting for something that hasn’t been really hinted at or confirmed in the slightest.

The only info regarding it is that Burnout got remastered, so they may remaster more games in the future.

It’s a good game, but not a Mass Effect game. I’d have thought an appropriate price would be $20 for it than $60 though.

Yeah, there’s a lot of dumb-as-bricks lines and content in it, but they really hammered down the combat, making it fun, and they had a cool overarching story even if the final fight was a bit of a nothingburger after all.

That was bullshit. People get upset by an ending that they didn’t like and literally drove the creators into depression and self-loathing. Fuck those people.

Yes, but don’t you dare tell me that the ME 2 story wasn’t excellent for an RPG that’s trending towards shooter.

ME 3 had a really good feeling of desperateness though. If you didn’t enjoy it, you most likely read all the backlash before playing it. I played it through a couple times. Enjoyed it.

Alright, let’s remember that OP hasn’t played this series before and a lot of this talk is squarely in the “spoilers” category, so let’s pump the brakes.

Err, what do you mean by “crack that ridiculous dlc scheme”? Just buckle down and get all the DLC?

And now I see it’s as confusing as EVER. Bioware’s site shut down? And Cerberus Network is no longer a thing? I’m actually somewhat familiar with the series. I got the PS3 version and know what Cerberus Network is. So you no longer have to activate it?

So as far as getting all the DLC, the ones I need to get separately are:

ME1: None? All accounted for in the Trilogy on PC?

ME2: All of Cerberus is free and included? + Kasumi Stolen Memory, Overlord, Lair of the Shadowbroker, Arrival.

ME3: From Ashes, Leviathan, Omega, Citadel.

Aaaaaaand i’m good?

The mass effect games when released are great games…They even hold hold up to games released this year because everything milks people with ONLINE.

Making a 30-40 hour single player story in a game seems to be last decade.

@everyone

Mass Effect Trilogy arrived a couple hours ago. I’m now installing everything from the Discs. Just about done, in the middle of installing ME3.

When you click on “Extra Content” of installed games in Origin you can see the DLC.

Which brings me to this:

https://help.ea.com/en-ca/help/origin/origin/download-dlc-for-classic-origin-games/#masseffect

Anyone care to explain that? DA PHUQ?!

2 Likes

Mass Effect (along with The Witcher) is my favourite game series and I doubt there’ll be a remastered version. But according to your previous post, you alrleady bought the vanilla versions now :wink:

Anyway, I highly recommend using various texture packes, which can be found on nexusmods. Don’t forget to tweak your bioengine.ini. If you’re unsure about an entry you can always ask me, I’ve modded the shit out of mine :smiley: I’d also recommend using SweetFX or Reshade in order to increase visuals.

Concerning DLCs:

ME1: “Bring Down the Sky” is awesome (and free) and it introduces the Batarians.

ME2: I pretty much liked every DLC, even “Overlord” because of its theme and “Arrival”, because it ties in nicely with ME3 (and should be played after ME2’s story). If I had to choose my favourite DLCs would be “Lair of the Shadowbroker” and “Kasumi: Stolen Memory”

ME3: “From Ashes” is a must, because it was torn from the basegame to begin with. “Omega” is nice, but “Leviathan” and “Citadel” are superior.

As a final note, take your time, talk to NPCs and enjoy the story. Mass Effect is a game that rewards you for your time spent and the world is very appealing.
However, ME1’s and ME2’s resource gathering can be exhaustive and you shouldn’t shy from opening a Wiki and opening a map of the planet’s interesting locations (ME1) :wink:

1 Like

But what about that link to EA’s site and all the DLC being free? At least for ME2? Says there may be conflicts if I use that? But of course, i’d rather pay an additional $0 than buy all the DLC. :joy:

Anyone ever install the DLC like that through EAs website? Even the WIki is saying this is an official thing. All ME2 DLC became available for free after Bioware shut down their site? Yet EA still sells it on Origin? Why not just make it free on Origin, too? It’s on EA’s site. Soooo confusing and silly.