Logan's Linux Log: The First Few Days With Linux | Tek Syndicate

Great Video!
I'm trying to get over to LInux for while now but my biggest problem is that I can't play most games like Skyrim etc. How do you solve this problem?
And which of the LG 21:9 Moniors are you using?

@Logan This is serious noobage, let me give you some pointers:

• You might wanna try Nemo as your file manager. They are all kind of lacking, but I personally prefer it to Gnome 3 Files.
  • You can Meta+F1 to quickly start up a program and Ctrl+Meta+Up/Down to switch between workspaces.
  • Instead of Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V you can just select text with the mouse or keyboard (Ctrl+C) and to then to paste you simply click the mouse wheel (Ctrl+V).

Nice videos, keep em coming!

1 Like

He seems to worship them as an angel corporation.

1 Like

I do not pretend to know what he thinks. But i do rememberer him saying he is actively trying decouple his every day usage needs from google as much as possible for similar reasons. Even if its not possible. And I do not remember him saying anything in the likes of worshiping them.

Anyway, I do think its important for Linux to differentiate itself for these kind of practices. It was a big foul the way the integration was implemented in Ubuntu and I am glad that Canonical seems to try to rectify the mistake, enough though some damage is done in terms of trust.

1 Like

No it's not. Online search results (which are anonymous I may add, as they don't go directly to the search provider) allow searching in the dash for Wikipedia, Youtube among others. Hell, they were even allowing people to dodge pirate bay blocks.

It's a useful feature. It is the same feature you'll find in Android, iOS, Windows and Mac OS X now. The whining is uncalled for.

Linux is about doing your own thing. If Canonical want useful features, let them at it. It seems to be working out fine for them and now the sensationalism has died down people have realized it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, or as Logan said in the Gnome video "even though Unity was better than I thought it would be".

1 Like

I am not talking about the idea of online search or the fact that you can make money of it. Its fine and a really awesome feature. For the last time I am talking about the way it was integrated.

It was integrated to be changeable.
- Only want wikipedia results? Turn off the rest.
- Don't use amazon? Uninstall the plugin.
- Don't want it at all? Settings flipswitch.

On Windows and Mac you have no choice and on Android you've already signed away your human rights. When it comes down to it they've made it silly easy to turn off from the get go.

As a non expert distro they add features be default people want and have come to expect.

1 Like

Gnome 2 was discontinued ages ago... even if you go Ubuntu 12.04 you get Gnome 3.

Actually, they are correct. It is a Terminal emulator RUNNING bash. You can set it up to run ksh, or any other shell if you want to. It doesn't matter if you go tty or use terminal emulator such as gnome-terminal, xterm,...

1 Like

So... by that logic I should call my laptop Ubuntu, because when it starts it boots Ubuntu, even though it can boot any other OS on the market?

1 Like

Skyrim runs quite nicely in PlayOnLinux/Wine... Even modded Skyrim, if you can swallow having to install mods the old way (manually) runs pretty close to Windows performance.

This is why MATE exists. Ubuntu MATE is great by the way for those that want a lightweight desktop, so long as you don't mind the GNOME 2 look and feel.

Does that mean that If I have one AMD R9 290 in my machine and I want to run Windows inside Linux I need to buy another 290 card?

Yes, or an nvidia one, Nvidia has better "support" for that kind of stuff and you also need a vt-x compatible processor

If your motherboard/cpu support it you can run the host Linux machine from the onboard graphics and pci passthrough the whole card to the Windows VM. This guide was a massive help to me when doing this. It is a bit fiddly but it's worth it.

Cheers. I will hold on to that guide. I have Z68X 1155 mobo with i7 Sandy-bitch 2700K

I know that... I was reacting to mghvgeo's post, where he said he would install Ubuntu 14.10, because he feared Ubuntu 14.04 would come with Gnome 2 instead of Gnome 3

Seems like your out of luck then, your cpu doesn't support VT-d which is needed for the I/O passthrough. Most k chips don't. Good excuse for a new build!

I've been running linux on and off for ages but due to being at uni I have had to come back to Windows and Mac as the applications I have to use just work easier on them.

IMO these are a few pros and cons of each operating system

Windows-
Pros:
-Plethora of programs which are freely available
-Good support for most main stream functions (minus scaling)
-Good support for lots of hardware
-Not a huge learning curve to become a proficient user.
-Jack of all trades
-Games!
Cons:
-Costs money
-Doesn't excel in any one area, apart from productivity maybe?
-Easy for all users to get viruses (luckily most are easy to remove too)
-I've never gotten windows to a point of where I am really happy with it.

Linux-
Pros:
-Super Configurable
-Easy to find and install programs for specific uses
-Large amount of freeware
-Very Stable and secure
-Growing list of games available
-Very easy to use after personalisation
Cons:
-Still many AAA titles unavailable (such as my favourites Dishonored and Battlefield 4)
-To install main stream programs like PS, MS Word and Sony Vegas require you to jump through hoops to get working
-Some Peripherals do not have 'drivers' and so you have to go hunting for them
-To get everything just the way you want it you will probably have to do some coding of some sorts
-Large learning curve

OS X:
Pros:
-Very easy to use
-Does select things very well (normally, create things such as PS)
-Very stable and secure to do unix back end
-Less viruses than Windows
-Multiple Disktops
Cons:
-Not as many games as Windows
-Not very configurable
-Expensive (as it can legally only run on Apple approved hardware)
-Only works out-of-the box with selected hardware (due to above reason)

Just some background info:
I currently own:
Custom Desktop running Windows and LiveUSB linux distros
Chromebook running kali linux, mint, fedora and chromeOS (upgraded the SSD)
Macbook Pro retina late 2014 running Windows, OS X and Linux distros

Yes I am aware that Macbooks are stupid expensive but do to legality of OS X I need it.

1 Like

If you are running Gnome Terminal, that means you are running Gnome version of Terminal.
If you are running the Putty, that means you are running Putty.

However if you see this

username@computername:~$

This does not means terminal.
It means you are looking at bash or other versions of bash.

However if it is in the window, that window might be terminal, other versions of terminal, or other program that gives you bash Prompt.

However if it is not in the window, such as If you press [ctrl]+[alt]+[F2] (in most of linux distros) you will not be looking at terminal you will be looking at the BASH login.

Also in the case you or someone thinks that tty somewhat stands for terminal. No it does not. TTY stands for teletype.
Which is the concept of terminal, putty, etc.