Logan's Linux Log: The First Few Days With Linux | Tek Syndicate

</p>					

It's been a week with Linux. How is it so far?

Be sure to subscribe to our Linux channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOWcZ6Wicl-1N34H0zZe38w

I'm mostly new to Linux and will be starting conversations, asking and answering questions, and sharing my experiences with Linux. Let me know what you think of the first video. Future videos will be more specialized.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://teksyndicate.com/videos/logans-linux-log-first-few-days-linux
16 Likes

I actually didnt know I could run more than one game at a time.

Its awesome to see everything up and running nicely on your box. What are the specs? and if AMD are you using the open or proprietary drivers?

I've no experience with GNU/Linux video editing though blender.org seem to do a good job editing in blender, maybe well see a video in the future where well here the words edited completely in Linux :D

1 Like

I know that a lot of people on here would already know this, but it might be helpful for the folks that don't....

When I have wanted to mess around with Linux, rather than having a full system dedicated to it, I have use VMWare VSphere or VirtualBox and run Ubuntu, Mint, whatever flavor I was trying at that time as a virtual machine on my Windows computer.

Just a suggestion....like I said, I know a number of us on the forum already know how to do this, but the some of the newer folks or the YT audience may not be aware this is an option.

1 Like

Are you using ubuntu 14.04 or 14.10? Also maybe try openshot, its a lot like pitivi but more stable and I like it more. Or kdenlive/cinelerra are good too.

Logan, It would be really cool if you would post links to apps you mention (or maybe just a list). Kinda like the news articles you link in "The Tek". I think it would be appropriate to do an episode just on media playback. I know getting dvds and mp3s to work on ubuntu out of the box requires a special set of apps (can't remember which ones) but I'm curious what media players you like and so forth. Overall I'm really interested in watching this series of videos.
On a lesser note. I'm putting a new PC together now, and I was toying with the idea of using linux as my main OS since I really don't have much time for games anymore.

2 Likes

@Logan You might want to check out Lightworks for video editing!

Looks like that was made in the early hours of the morning.

@wedell, Thanks for all the Tek videos. Based on your's and Logan's suggestion I too took the plunge into Linux, Ubuntu 14.10, with Kdenlive, Chrome, Kodi 14.2, and the standard Unity desktop. I am a nubb so easy with alot of support was a requirement. Now check this out all this on a Asus E350 Deluxe with only 2gig of a 4 gig memory stick recognized. This MB has wi-fi, bluetooth, 1 gig ethernet, 320gig HD, and AMD APU graphics. All parts from used discarded systems, and works great pretty much out of the box, I learned of package managers from Kodi Ubuntu, it peeked my interest because it was so fast in loading on a celeron T3100 with 1 gig, now upgraded to 2 gig. I also have a pfsense router I put on an old duel lan media player i picked up from a job where they were throwing them out! Wish I had gotten more now. But I REALLY would like is you to do some more pfsense config videos, Pfsense as a VPN client, Snort as a security device, and keep up the Linux to english tutorials, it really helps

I am having trouble with my pfsense vpn connection, it is up but I think I am having firewall issues as not all applications are working when it is up. I can surf but Kodi Youtube videos do not play and I can't pull up my vpn providers "whats my ip" website. vpn.ht is my provider. Please address pfsense videos to the latest release 2.2 as from my research it seems to work a little differently from previous versions.

Can you get Logan to bring back the "Chaos Ensues" logo I just built this itx ubuntu system in your honor and would like to putt your image on it. My next build will be a AMD 9590 ASRock 970 Performance MB, Linux based video editing and rendering machine as I am making RC (music) videos, and my windows based software is not cutting the mustard.

To end: IMO Logan should had done videos all along the way of installing Ubuntu, the drivers and setting up multi-monitors and him just playing around in the software to show how much fun and frustration things can be. For me Tek Syndicate endorsements mean alot. VERY Nice setup by the way.

@Logan

System Settings > Privacy > Enable Online Search Results

That how you get rid of the Amazon nonsense. One tickbox. As it's always been. Massive overreaction by some of the Linux crowd and sensationalism from the tech media calling it 'spyware' made everyone overreact.

1 Like

All right I'm in, I don't want to put it on my main rig just yet until I get a bit more familiar with it. But I'm putting together a portable rig, mostly out of spare parts, I'm going to install it on that while I get to grips with it.

It's cool to see some Linux support here. I recently built a new Linux workstation, for programming, and it's the best option for me. I still keep a windows machine for gaming but that's about it. I also recently switched to Fedora, you should try it out!

I really enjoy this type of videos, more casual and relaxed. The more technical ones paired with theese relaxed ones once in a while is a perfect match
I too have been trying to use linux more often, bringing some use to old pc's and it's really fun
Keep it up :)

Would it be possible to run a windows vm through linux and play games so I wouldn't have to dual boot into windows every time I want to play a game?

Performance wouldn't nearly be enough to run most games, you should look into wine. It's either a hit or a miss with it though, but a lot of games work okay now. Programs like playonlinux do a lot of the setup work for you.

Yes you can you would have to use KVM or Xen and pass through a GPU to the Windows VM.

You need two GPUs and a CPU and motherboard that supports VT-d or IOMMU. Performance will be pretty close to bare metal

You have never heard of a bare metal hypervisor have you?

Look up KVM and Xen

Davinci Resolve is worth a look for editing. Used daily in the movie industry @Logan .
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/products/davinciresolve/edit

Could you use the on board graphics from the motherboard for linux and the gpu for windows?

No I haven't, seems interesting.

yes you would have to set the Linux host machine to not load the GPU via nomodetest