Logan's Linux Log: The First Few Days With Linux | Tek Syndicate

I did see that there were some drivers to choose from but I wasn't sure how exactly to do it in the software update window. It gave me the option to check the hardware that was running and gave me a few Nvidia driver version to choose from. I selected the latest one from the list and hit apply....but there was no confirmation or anything. In the display window it says I was running a Titan. I know the 780Ti is basically a titan, but c'mon. I tried running Duke Nukem 3D on steam and it looked stretched vertically and some of the menu items do not appear.

Suffice it to say, I think Linux's biggest problem is driver/hardware support and ease of use.

In terms of using it for basic internet and documents, it's fine. But when it comes to finding drivers for certain hardware or devices, it's a lot more tedious and a long winded process of getting it. I couldn't even find some kind of driver for my Asus Xonar DG, and when I did fond something. It was a long and technical process to get it to work, and I'm an I.T. tech!

Granted, I'm not at all familiar with Linux, but hot damn, just trying to get familiar with it and trying to get things to run smoothly is a pain.

About the drivers in linux

Last week I had to install Win XP because the drivers for the Nokia dku-5 cable was not available for anything after that.

After installing WIN XP I was not able to find the driver for ethernet controller.
I needed both at same time.
Than it a occurred to me why won't I try on ubuntu?. It worked and I didn't need to download any drivers.

I beg to differ. Every distro I have used calls it Terminal. It is called a Terminal Window. Inside a computer game ~ brings up a "console". Two different terminologies for similar things. Also, a terminal session is NOT always running BASH. It can be running SH, KSH, CSH, or ZSH. There are other command shells that can be used but those are the more common command shells. Bash is a Command Shell. CLI stands for Command Line Interface. Not a Console Line Interface. You have BASH (Bourne Again shell), CSH (C shell), KSH (Korn Shell), and ZSH (Z shell).
The Terminal program is an interface for CLI inside a GUI and DE. @Logan or @Wendell calling it "Terminal" is perfectly fine especially since most distros actually call it Terminal in some form. Hyper-Terminal is a Windows application. To open an ssh connection, you open Terminal and type ssh username@ipaddress simple as that. No need for Putty especially since Putty AFAIK is a windows application. A telnet connection can be opened in the same manner (minus the username@ip part.)
By trying to limit @Wendell and @Logan to Windows ONLY terms, you would be limiting new users in what terms they will learn. If you go to a Linux forum and you ask how to do something in cli. They will 9/10 tell you to open a Terminal window. I think KDE might call it a Konsole. All the other WMs I believe refer to it as a Terminal.

no. you could get an Nvidia card or a weaker AMD card and run Linux from one and Windows from another with PCI passthrough...assuming your sandy-bitch supports VT-d.

sudo Holly **** > /diaper.txt

I brought all of those statements to make my point you and @Tylnesh are taking exactly same statements and offering me and community to support your point of view which one is against my point.

At this moment I do not care, lets just call everything text document and be done with this ;)

If you are looking at your screen, are you looking at you GUI, or your screen itself? It's both and only douche points out one answer and disregards the other :)

the login prompt is actually a program called login, not bash :D

1 Like

Nope. The TTY is normally getty which is a terminal emulator, it defaults to running login, which isnt a bash script, its a C program, part or util-linux.

Using the name terminal or terminal emulator is perfectly acceptable as getty, gnome-terminal, konsole, urxvt, etc are all terminal emulators. Also opening a terminal doesnt guarantee bash will run, so saying open a bash prompt by running gnome-terminal might not work.

3 Likes

To play on the comparison to 'Captain's Log' the intro could include the time since UNIX epoch. Something akin to:

Logan's Linux Log, Unixtime 1426371 k

with 'k' implying that the approximate time is actually 1426371000.

1 Like
sudo Holly **** > /diaper.txt

If we will take a look from that point. Then everything is binary 0 or 1 and combination of them, so nor bash, nor shell, nor linux, nor windows, nor ascii, nor hexadecimal, and nor octa have ever existed and will never exist.

Because of in Linux mostly everything consists of packages. which are made of this and that language usually C.
Which is not the real language because it is not the language machine understands.

By the way, why won't we continue this hypothesis and just say
you and me do not exist kind of wonder does that means that no one is writing this stuff.

/bin/login is written in C, it is not a shell script of any kind. It is not written in ones and zeros, it is not written in Python. It isn't bash it has no relation to bash, but it might start bash for you when you log in if bash is set as your shell. No need to have an existential crisis here. What really matters here is it wasn't command.com :D and for that we can all be grateful.

@Tylnesh @LinuxMaster9 @freqlabs
I will try to make my statement one more time.
If you open the program called the Terminal in your Linux Operating System you will be opening the Terminal.
However this Terminal software lets you communicate with bash which it runs(by default in modern most of the linux distributions.)
The command which you may type may belong to bash such as help, or not such as nano if it is not than bash will execute that program in this case nano(for this part after the comma I am not 100% sure).

I hope written in this form will be understandable.

The point I want to make is. Not every window that gives you access to bash is called the Terminal it might be called "super terminal" or "thisisnotterminal".
This is all.

and to show this I uploaded the screenshots, but no one wants to take a look at that screenshot and get the point.
everyone wants to argue

The trivial arguments are entertaining. I suspect no one here has actually typed on an honest to goodness wyse or vt100. That black screen you see presented to you is a terminal emulator. Generally the emulation is some kind of vt100 variant but you could change it if it pleased you. None of this has any relationship to which shell program you happen to be running whether it be bourne, korn, bash, csh, tcsh or some other random variant of a bsd or system V shell.

It was a nice little intro. Introducing the version as Ubuntu but actually having installed an Ubuntu Variant (ubuntu gnome) was a little misleading. I didni't know about Ubuntu Gnome and had been hacking 14.04 trusty to use Gnome Manually. Was happy to make the switch.

For the number of times I have messed up my install of Linux it seems fairly worth while to seperate /home from the / drive and use a hypervisor to be able to restore a base image on command.

I haven't successfully configured Xen Project yet although I've been hacking about. XenServer, KDE, and ProxMox seem a lot easier from the tutorials. Xen Project seems very powerful but there are extra steps in configuration.

What is the drop down terminal that Logan is using? Also what version of Ubuntu that he is using?

I have it going right now on my laptop, REALLY looking forward to playing with it :D Time to restart and begin !

guake terminal
or the drop down for extension for gnome but guake is better imo

+1 for Guake. I tried the ~ drop down but when you play games or things like that. Or even typing on the forums and such where you can use the tilde for an approximation symbol, having the terminal drop down gets annoying.

I use Tilda, it's easy to config, reliable and you can set any key as your drop down key. I've got one of those stupid "multimedia" key set up as terminal-key.

Awesome thanks for letting me know! :D

I decided to jump aboard! I've mentioned before that I've used ubuntu off and on for years. I went ahead and dug up a spare SSD, threw stock Debian Wheezy on it, got gnome going and I'm off! I'll try to use it as much as possible.

I took the inspiration from Logans themeing and went with the FlatStudio gray along with Shine, my favorite gnome shell.

1 Like