Logan's Linux Log: The First Few Days With Linux | Tek Syndicate

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Zoltan has a pretty good write up about it here: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/what-if-i-want-everything/41520

He doesn’t go too far into depth with Xen which is another way it could be done

It's been a while since i've played with linux but watching this video has me wanting to mess around again. Especially with all the improvements that have been made in the last few years...

Very nice, Ubuntu Gnome is currently my top pick for Linux as well. Gnome 3 has finally gotten to the point where it's genuinely better than Gnome 2 was.

P.S. Wine is really irritating to configure sometimes, watch for that.

I have a linux box that I used to use for my video editing before I built a new machine. Blenders video editor doesn't have that steep of a learning curve but it's not as full featured or as intuitive as premier seems to be. I've been using blender for three years and haven't used premeir but my friend does and from what I've seen it offers a whole lot more than blender (for now) as far as a basic NLE is concerned. Also divnci resolve is a great video editor and even better for color grading.

Also if you are looking for an after effects replacement then blender has a compositor that is insanely powerful and a new software Natron has just come out and it gets new features every couple of weeks. Natron is a Nuke/ NukeX style compositor and is compatible with all OFX plug-ins so you can add most of your favorite AE plugins like keylight too it.

Really looking forward to more of these videos thanks guys.

The problem is not that you cannot disable it. You can even remove it if you want completely.
The problem is that Ubuntu is a non-expert distro that has the Amazon integration on by default without any visual cues or queries about disabling it. It was designed to trick the average user on keeping it enabled. That´s the problem and that is why its almost like spyware. And for the message that FOSS wants to bring about this is a major contradiction.

Good thing that Canonical seems to have come to its senses and will change its strategy on the matter on the following versions.

Right click Amazon and the click uninstall in the dash.

Like Mac, Android and Windows they are building in Internet seaching into their OS.

If @Logan doesn't mind Google now then why does he care about this easily disabled text search feature?

1 Like

Well he does mind google for what I understand. And what apple, google and microsoft are doing is equally bad. That is why applications/OSs that are supposed to respect the user (unlike those 3 cooperations) need to be different.

There should really be a tutorial on how to get everything up and running on linux in terms or driver updates. I tried getting some Nvidia drivers running in the latest ubuntu...14.somthing....oh my god, so impractical! I'm really trying to give Linux a chance here.

If you want the proprietary drivers you should use the build in application that installs them automatically. ¨Additional Drivers¨ in ubuntu. These are the tested drivers that actually work and the process is automated in one click. So no tutorial needed. When a new version of the drivers are tested by Ubuntu they will appear as an update along with all the other updates. You do not have to do a single extra thing.

I'm buying a new drive for Linux soon. I think I'm going to go with Atergos.

So what release is he using? I found Ubuntu 14.10 and 14.04 with gnome right off the bat one of them is mate. Im currently using ubuntu with cinnamon switched in, did he just remove unitty and stick gno0me in through the terminal?

Edit: I am going to try 14.10 I think it has gnome 3 instead of 2.

If run through a few Linux installs on a USB 1TB drive to test things out. Ubuntu Gnone 14.10 is my favorite so far by far. Elementary OS was good to but seems a little un-updated.

My MAJOR problem I see is psychological. I'm and old gamer that doesn't game as much any more. I mostly read, watch streams and play vidoes. I still play a lot of Civ V and Divinity: Origanal Sins.

When on windows I know I play play any of my steam games if I want but dont. When on Linux I feel like the stuff I own that is not playable is what I want....weird.

Anyway Civ V on linux seems to work well for me and I think it just a matter of letting go of all the crap I own that I dont play anyway.

The new Gnome UI is really nice and out of the way. Very customizable too.

The one major problem atm is I run a Landscape 1080p display and a portrait 1200x1920 display. Games and Virtualbox VM's go nuts when crossing monitors.

I would probably setup a KVM or XEN virtual machine and allocated ~4GB to it and install a second GPU and setup VGA passthrough, that way you can still game on windows and use windows applications within linux at roughly 95% the speed of native hardware, it's a lot less messy than WINE can be at times.

Hello dear @wendell and @Logan,
With full my respect and honor to you both.

Can you please stop calling console in linux as terminal.
It is actually called Bash (Bourne Again SHell).
The Terminal is another program similar to Putty, hyperterminal, etc.
The Terminal gives you access to Bash or other console inside the Xserver (the window environment.)

P.S
I do apologize for my Grammar and Punctuations. I did try my best,
So please do not hunt me in my dreams.

Terminal works rather well as a name. While yes you do use bash to run other programs such as 7zip, ssh or weechat you aren't always running Bash in any terminal session.

Unless you modify application Terminal settings, whenever you open the application called the Terminal it will give you Bash session by default.
As for what is what called take a look at this picture

Hey, I noticed in the video that your chrome/chromium doesn't have the look of the shell. Right click on the borders and select "use shell theme." (or something like that, I'm using xmonad right now so it doesn't matter.) Anyways, it makes chrome/chromium fit in much better.

Unfortunately in the past Nvidia has been very unhelpful in the linux environment and Linux creator has even right out cursed Nvidia lol AMD Gpus have been a lot easier for me in the past i know that is not a solution for you but some back story if anything :) Steam OS will push Hardware support hopefully such as Vulkan with intel steam os is linux