Linus Torvalds "Very Concerned" About Microsoft "Taking Over Linux"

Yes, they failed pretty miserably. Just saying it isn’t exactly a conspiracy theory when they literally did try to do it!

No im saying people who think they are doing it now are tinfoilhatters.

To be fair Linux as an everyday user desktop was pretty severely slowed.

Not through any underhanded action from MS. Windows simply was, and is, a far better mainstream desktop experience.

I’m not entirely convinced that was microsofts doing.

Haha, yeah think so.

At the end of the day, it’s about using what works to solve whatever problem there might be. I experience a lot less irritation in Linux than windows.

1 Like

Exactly. Like iPhone is in the phone world, windows is in PC world. It just works.

@Ruffalo too

They certainly would have helped and wanted it that way after all that was their market, selling desktop OS’s.

But yeah Linux does not help itself either.

1 Like

The thing is… Id just like to interject for a moment…

Linux is just a kernel though, its the software around it that has really started to take off.

Linux desktop environments have only just recently gotten really really good IMO (minus gnome lmao what are they doing /s).

1 Like

/votekick Adubs

1 Like

dont you set your gnome up to look like kde?

get out of here.

I set up KDE to look like Gnome… Lmao.

Taskbar move to top and install Latte-Dock for bottom

2 Likes

oof

1 Like

For that to be the case for average consumer, it would have to be close to locked down, where the creator makes decisions for the user, steer them to buy more crap just so they can use the overpriced product they just bought. Which is also why I’d never touch an iPhone. My work phone is an iPhone, used it for two days, moved my work sim to my private phone.

iOS pretty much already is, and Win10 home is only customizable to a certain degree. For that to be and issue, I’d have to fin an “average user” and ask them if it bothers them. And from what I’ve asked around and I did, a lot, no average computer/phone user cares about advanced features or is willing to shell out money for office let alone other apps, or store shenanigans or other beyond the laptop/pc/phone they already paid for.

I also don’t much like the iPhone, but I don’t like android either, so there’s that.

all phones and all software is shit.

lets all go live in the woods in our own cabins and never touch tech again.

I vote Finland with their saunas and lakes and snow.

2 Likes

I kinda agree with adubs here. it irritates me that the minimum vertical res for that DE is 900 since running it on a 720p or devils res monitor always cuts off the buttons at the bottom of the window.

1 Like

Was anyone?

I don’t trust them but I never thought about them trying to take over linux.

1 Like

Lmfao.