Linus Torvalds "Very Concerned" About Microsoft "Taking Over Linux"

Hehe, good question. HC pros have a tendency to whine and bitch about anything that’s different, really. Which is one reason I made a complete switch from one to the other, got tired of being annoyed every time I sat at computer. I’m by no means saying that Windows is shit, many things work well or better in Windows. It’s just not for me anymore, and I’m in a position where anything I need is available for Linux.

As long as the freedom of choice stays in Linux, I couldn’t really care too much what Microsoft does. Development takes the direction of the userbase, if the majority of the userbase is happy with what Ms does, the probability for those changes to migrate to Linux is increased. Which is why I’d be fine as long as there’s a choice, which is what I love about Linux.

1 Like

I agree with the rest of your paragraph, but I think what a lot of people are not realizing or underestimating is you have the freedom of choice in Windows.

using computers in the first place is a choice

2 Likes

Haha I never said I could write.

1 Like

Microsoft is not stupid. They can smell the linux fart in the room and they are down wind. Better to adapt to it and make more money than to try and fight it. Anyone who thinks they are in it to ‘destroy linux’ is probably :tinfoil:

Linux couldnt be destroyed by virtue of its openness.

1 Like

Except from within…

Ominous Music from Deus Ex or Blade Runner Pick Whatever You Like Best

Ok. If gnome=windows visually, I’d like ‘xfce’ on windows. How to do that without third party software that goes tits up when ms updates something?

To be fair, XFCE is third party and goes tits up when Linux updates something :wink:

1 Like

But stuff frequently breaks in Linux too when they update?

if your software breaks when windows updates, its because you used a dirty hack when making it

I’ve had this happen all too often with linux and not that often in windows but obviously YMMV.

Never had that happen, if that would be so, I’d most likely run lxde.

I mean, Microsoft was in it to destroy Linux. That isn’t conspiracy crap at all, this is well-documented. The point is their CEO changed all that and transformed their business.

youre just using the wrong distro you need to use my distro

2 Likes

Things break everywhere, the question is if you need to wait for someone_else™ to do their job or if you can get your hands dirty yourself.

When your desktop environment in Linux breaks, fix it, try another one.
When explorer in windows fucks up, tough shit son.

2 Likes

Command line is always an option.

1 Like

and they failed miserably and now they cant stop the number of devices running the linux kernel.

I’m arguing linux cant be destroyed. We’d all collectively throw a fit and fork it if anyone tried.

1 Like

I’ve never had what you described happen :man_shrugging:

Perhaps we’ve both demonstrated that Linux and Windows operating systems are perfect.

3 Likes

Ahh the benefits of it being open-sourced and actually adopted by the community.

except when it isnt