Linus Torvalds "Very Concerned" About Microsoft "Taking Over Linux"

Yes and it’s also the same company that brought us windows 10, point being that I am fine with them partnering and helping organizations but that doesn’t earn them any trust.

1 Like

What would this Windows “Really” Pro version have that wouldn’t bother you and other hc pros would whine and bitch about?

I think they are moving in parallel or their own way, while adopting/implementing functionality from either one.

:thinking: The best Windows release? I guess we’re not on the same page.

I see your point, I just think the whole sky is falling mentality is a bit overdone, especially at this point in time.

I see two very different arguments stemming from the same groups of people, often contradicting each other and themselves.

MS used to be a Windows and Office company, now it’s a services company. Their motivations fundamentally changed.

Don’t trust their benevolence or altruism. Follow the money. They’re acting in their own best interests by supporting Linux for realsies.

8 Likes

And where is that money going?

Primarily, to their services. Office 365, Azure, and Xbox. And yes, Xbox will shortly be a straight-up service, mainstream gaming will all be streaming in <10 years.

Their traditional Windows and buy-once Office business are dwindling. Hardware is surging, but still a small proportion of their total revenue.

4 Likes

And… This is bad, in your opinion?

No, where did I imply that?

1 Like

When you said don’t trust them, follow the money?

My point there is you can trust someone to act in their own best interests. MS isn’t prevaricating or “embracing, extending, extinguishing” Linux. They’re in it for real. Satya fundamentally transformed Microsoft.

4 Likes

Ultimately I wouldnt trust any company period. Companies are not your friend or your buddy.

They want your money first and foremost.

8 Likes

I think I agree :thinking:

Uh, wrong, AMD calls me every night before bed.

7 Likes

Let me be very clear in what I’m going to say right now.
There is no company or corporation that works for anything else other than bring more money year over year to their shareholders/owners. Not one of these is your friend. I would’ve thought that was perfectly clear…

Mmmmhmm. That was my point too.

Here’s MSFT under Satya. He started in early 2014.

1 Like

That’s me. I’m an american born chinese woman.

2 Likes

Yeah don’t worry about it too much. Peoples ability to read has dropped sharply.

Me and Jensen are on a first name basis in texts. Fight me.

1 Like

Do you send memes to each other?

1 Like

Off topic. Moooooooodssssss

I know. I was emphasizing your point.

1 Like

FTFY

2 Likes