Life o' Linux

Ya I read up on it some and found out that was probably the problem. Apparently the nouveau drivers for the GTX 970 aren't any good.

I ended up just going with Manjaro and choosing the non-free drivers option and it worked perfectly fine, so I didn't need to use the nomodeset method.

Also try selecting the non-free drivers option if there is one for your distro (I used Manjaro, and I can't remember if Ubuntu has that option or not). The nouveau drivers don't work with the GTX 970 out of the box, but I was able to get it working with zero hassle with both monitors hooked up with the non-free option.

HA.

You are free to like arch all you want, but do not let it cloud your sense of reality.

; P

At least I know how to use it.

Done with another night in C++. My instructor is a pretty avid Vim user (not in our class though). He's showed me a few cool tricks with Vim. Pulled a 5yy p and a 2dd in class today. He also put me onto a pretty awesome terminal command. Maybe someone can explain it???

Basically, when compiling my code it was giving me a TON of errors. The command he gave me was g++ -std=c++11 Class1.h Class2.h main.cpp -o main 2>&1 | head. (The 2>&1 is what I'm not sure about).

All I know is that turned my mountain of errors into just 3 and I was able to quickly debug this.

Lastly, the students using Visual Studio have the ability to quickly change all instances of a word or number by file and by project quickly with a gui feature. I asked my teacher if I should do that with a Perl script and sed. He recommended that I use the % incremental operator in Vim to accomplish this. Thoughts??

I compiled ffmpeg!

Not the greatest accomplishment by far but hey, first time I ever actually had something compile correctly.

1 Like

I think the issue is that everyone got really into Linux about six months ago and there was so many posts about it and now the hype train is over there is far less discussion on the topic.

Yeah, the hype train is gone, and I'm kinda glad of it. Even if the linux forum isn't as lively.

1 Like

2 represents standard error and 1 standard out - so puts errors in to standard out before it then pipes it to head - so you only see the top of the errors/output.

It sounds like you're just after a recursive search and replace and a quick google for this phrase plus vim does bring up some % command. I'd be interested to know if it just does any replacements for you or if you get to say yes/no for each possibility it finds. That's what I'd expect an IDE to do unless you just selected "repeat for all found"

1 Like

I don't mind the Linux hype train here, but I wouldn't want it to become popular with the masses.

strokes neck beard

We have BSD for that.

1 Like

I actually haven't really messed around with BSD on a personal level, just some training when I was in the navy.

This is what I need to do when my system is back up and running:

Replace SUSE with Arch (it's about time, I want to delve deeper... Although I didn't learn much last time, if anything at all about Linux)

Try XFCE and Gnome 3.18, KDE is a bit bloated...

Learn how to fully use Blender

(Cough) setup a dual boot with Windows 10 until I can get two graphics cards for virtualization, I need my games as much as I want to fully get rid of Windows (cough)

Create a viable Linux benchmark

Most importantly:

Do stuff...

I can't plan what I'll do because I end up doing something different.

2 Likes

oh my god were like in the same boat

I just got Arch and Awesome running on 2 of my rigs. Trying to fully beta it and have comprehensive understanding before I get arch/awesome on my laptop.

2 Likes

I decided to switch over to ubuntu gnome from linux mint, which had been serving me very well for quite some time. I has so many problems. First trying 15.10, moving windows around was incredibly slow. So I switched to 14.04 hoping for stability.z I couldn't get the Japanese input program I rely on to install. I settled on starting with regular(?) ubuntu and installing gnome afterwards. I also had problems here installing steam, but now it seems to work just fine. It took me two nights to get everything set up, but now I really like it. I'm very happy to be back to programming and being productive.

You can do both. You just have to add an option to what appears to be a regex. See the following for a few that may be helpful.

You can use this command in Vim:

(:substitute : searches for text pattern and replaces w/ a string. There are many options - here are a few)

:%s/foo/bar/g

Find each occurance of foo (in all lines), replace with 'bar'

:s/foo/bar/g

Find each occurance of foo (in current line), repace with 'bar;

:%s/foo/bar/gc

Change each 'foo' to 'bar', but ask for confirmation first.

:%s/\<foo\>/bar/gc

Change only whole words exactly matching "foo' to 'bar'; ask for confirmation

@Logan and @Wendell know and are well aware x3 Logan however has been doing a load of work to keep everything going and wendell has been doing most of the videos hardware wise.A little annoying, but honestly theres not much to be done about it yet.

This week was a real step forward in my use and understanding of Linux.

Trying to break down this old Arris modems defenses, but It puts up an exponentially growing time frame between attempts. so, it lets you try 3 PINs then, resets for a min then allows you 3 more then resets for 3min
then 3 more pins then 6 mins and on and on. Not sure i will be able to crack this one soon. I think either the router will overheat, or I will give up.

2 Likes

just switched from Ubuntu to Fedora 23. So far loving it.

1 Like