Life o' Linux

Setup a Virtual Test Lab on my Ubuntu Gnome box. Installed the latest AMD drivers (didn't go smoothly)... Setup a virtual web server and troubleshooting the ajenti install on that server.....

Update: The xeon doesn't know what a video card is and the system throws a shit ton of errors

Today, if I ever get the chance, I'm going to write some js and C++ for my classes using Vim on my machine. Unfortunately, no time to poke around the Linux system again today. Maybe if I get really lucky, play around with Heroku on the CLI... we'll see though.

1 Like

One of the many things I am trying to pick up is bash scripting. Today, I spent some time watching a youtube video on the topic and exploring the terminal. Yesterday, I completed two assignments with Vim for C++ (recursions and arrays). The most important thing I learned yesterday was my gcc c++11 flag.

Ugh GCC is a pain in my ass. One of my friends on IRC made a compiler called CluX.

Cool that you're getting into minor scripts though.

I installed Kali Linux As a virtual machine. I'm going to use it to spy on my vm of Ubuntu

2 Likes

Here's a brain dump update on my Life o' Linux:

I picked up two commands, cp and mv. Although simple, I never really used them and opted to move files via GUI. However, about a week ago I jumped in and started using these two CLI commands exclusively. Which leads to yesterday. I was due to give a presentation on git. During the presentation I misspelled a file I created with vim. No problem, just mv'd that file to it's correct name. Felt like a beast!

A professor suggested using tab completion... this rules.

Also, thanks to the forum, I found the easiest way to compile c++ projects with multiple class files to the c++11 standard. For now, not having to use makefiles is nice.

I've been piping to less a lot; something I didn't do often before.

I started using Terminology, which is an amazing terminal emulator. It allows you to split your terminal into multiple terminals. I can't tell you have useful this has been for me.

Putting bash scripting on hold for awhile.

Three things I'm interested in:

1. Exploring pstree
  2. Regular expressions
  3. Increasing vim command proficiency
2 Likes

look at terminator :P

1 Like

Now just make a sh/bash script to tar you home folder and upload it to your "nas" or preferred backup device. :)

Here is how I do it, but if someone where to get access to the machine they would have the password file to connect but this account is restricted to only the backup folder so at the most i lose the backups but i have them ftp'd (manully for now) to another vm that is being used to backup the nas.

Note: works for me and my situation may not work for yours. I use this method because it transfers at the fastest speed in my testing of using ssh, sftp and ftp.
Note: You will need to install the smbclient program. Should you want to try using this method.

#!/bin/sh

tar -czvf /folder /destfolder
sleep 3 #this is not needed but i like to make sure the taring is done and the process closed before starting the upload.
smbclient //SERVERNAME/Backupfoldername -A ~/Fileforauthentation -c "lcd /Filetomovetobackup; prompt; mput *; exit;"

Then setup a cron job to run it daily/weekly what ever your fancy is.

2 Likes

I installed Elementary OS on a MBP, wasn't impressed with it's UI, I'm going to try another distro later. Been trying a lot lately to install Linux to my desktop. For reasons unknown it hates my GTX 970, won't even get past the splash screen on multiple distros. Slap another video card, in this case the GTX 9800, and it works perfectly. Really scratching my head with this one.

Other then that I've been working on a few things with some Raspberry Pis. Load balanced web server anyone?

the 970 has issue booting from what i have seen you need to do this most likely

owh and if you halve multiple monitors like I do i just had to unplug them from the gpu till i got the nvidia drivers installed.

1 Like

I'll try that tonight, thanks. I do unplug all my monitors except the main one. Helps keep an eye on what's going on.

It is a newer card so most likely the drivers aren't in the distro you should try booting with nomodeset enabled to ignore the drivers. Then install the drivers later.

I backed up all my data for my podcast (that is mainly all I do on my current Linux laptop) and installed Elementary OS to give it a try. Haven't played much with it yet. I plan to mess with it more after work.

I just got done working on several scripts, worked some tickets.
Last night set up KVM passthrough on my home box. Then going to work on my VPS some.

great tool for ADD people
Freemind

Update to what I have done today*, I got Wow running on linux with wine. Don't think I can raid with it like this. It is on medium settings and in dungeon groups it can drop to < 30fps, but for regular gameplay it works just fine.

Switched from KDE to xfce and played with some themes and panel settings. Way slicker look on xfce.

Taking this course for fun and to bolster my self taught linux knowledge. Trying out the Liri browser on Windows and Linux to see how it compares to firefox/opera (my main squeezes).

Yesterday at work, in the middle of my working day, I decided that Mint MATE's Compiz window manager had too many glitches and I wanted to use the regular window manager (Marco? Mario? Can't remember from the top of my head) instead.

No idea what I did wrong, but somehow that ended up completely removing almost all the icons (replaced them with a red circle with a diagonal line through it) as well as the Mint Menu. Logging out and selecting the manager on the login screen didn't help, rebooting didn't help, switching back to Compiz didn't help. I tried to remove and re-install MATE altogether using a guide that came up when googling, but the removal process failed. Installing Cinnamon failed too.
So I added another menu in the taskbar and limped through the rest of the day with no icons, no wallpaper and no extended workspaces (I often switch between 3 or 4 of them).

Now I'm running a brand new install. Five bucks says I'll wreck that before New Year.

2 Likes

nomodeset in kernel line to get past the splash screen? Could be the GPU?