Level1Techs | Build a Router 2016 Q4 -- pfSense Build

does the @wendell have any experiences with openwrt?

My isp gives me a modem/router combo, forcing me to use their box. Since I receive internet via a coaxial cable first. What would I have to do to run pfsense properly?
Thanks

I left this in the youtube cesspit but I will also put it here.

I'm using an Athlon 5350 for this with a dual port intel nic. It's a great box. The biggest problem I have with Pfsense is that a lot of the tutorials are for small business, they get especially confusing around caching since you can either have a proxy cache, cache your incoming traffic (home use case) or have it cache your outgoing traffic (web accelerator) and the tutorials don't tell you how they are configuring it.

Would definitely like it if there were distinctions made during the videos for home use vs business use vs even enterprise use.

Hopefully you wont break it three times though.

First off if we are talking about cable chances are you could buy your own cable modem and use it cheaper than renting a modem from them if they charge you for it.

If it is something like fios which can be run into the house via coax you can in many cases switch to ethernet.

That being said on most dsl and cable modem/router combos you can put it into what is called bridge mode. Pretty much that disables almost everything the box does and lets you run your own router behind it. If you search online for the devices model and bridging you should find instructions.

1 Like

On combo units you have to disable routing mode and connect the Ethernet cable to the listed active port on the modem/router but this will also disable the wireless on the device so you'll need a separate device for WiFi such as a Unifi AP or a consumer router in access point mode.

I have a combo unit and bad to get a seperate AP before I could use pfSense.

1 Like

got mine on amazon. $35.

For those who want a more compact setup, the Netgate RCC-VE 2440 has the same hardware as pfSense's SG-2440 for only $350 (vs $500).

1 Like

I am wondering about system specs to do this. I am looking at using an A10 APU with 8 GB of RAM, is that enough? I want a router that can easily handle any load I put on it. We have a wireless access point and then 6 wired devices and another 6 wireless devices in the house.

My plan it ot put an ITX build in an Antec Vesa box with a low profile NIC expansion card and then run this direct into an 8 port GB switch. Thoughts?

yep, plenty of horsepower, and I've got a dual port intel nic with your name on it if you want it. hah! welcome btw.

1 Like

How did you get your dashboard so wide? I cannot do that on mine. I am only allowed to move the widgets in 2 tall columns.

Go to System > General Setup and change "Dashboard Columns" from 2 to 4 in the webConfigurator tab.

I'd also recommend changing the Top Navigation to "Fixed", this way It'll always stay at the top even if you scroll down a page.

1 Like

Thank you very much! now my dashboard is all sexy too.

EDIT. I made it the dark theme now so it's even better than is this pic

2 Likes

Is that an HP NC364T?

While researching my options, I happened to come across an eBay auction for 3x HP NC364T still brand new, in their factory fresh anti-static bags. The seller didn't have a lot of feedback, but I did a bit of research and it was a data center solutions-ish type of company, and the listing said it was surplus from a previous project that never came to fruition, so I have confidence it's no bullshit. Oh, and I totally sniped the auction (it only had 1 bid when I found it)... got 3 of them for just shy of $44 including priority shipping. Fuckin' score!

(if that other bidder happens to be reading this -- sorry... not really, but, sorry ;) )

1 Like

Really nice!

I use pfsense in a HA Cluster for the datacenter at our business (2x Dell R230 w. 10 NICs each).

It works very well, great piece of software!

Yes, it is. Runs hotter than I expected but will be fine so long as there's movement in the case (also I have no frame of reference —this is my first add-in NIC— so the heat might be perfectly normal). Older but robust and will work just fine for this.

If I can get this to work out well with my AP's I might just go for it.

1 Like

@wendell

I have the same pre-built pfsense box sitting around doing nothing. Other than start using it, have any cool ideas I could do with it? Anything I can add to the extra mSATA slots that would be useful?

EDIT: Wendell liked my post. Life complete

2 Likes

I've got an old Dell PowereDge SC1435 Server with ECC ram not doing anything. This seems like a fun project for it, but i'd like to cut the power draw and jet engine noise. It's got a pair of opterons and 8 sticks of ddr2 ecc and should be overkill for the load in the house. If I unplug the fans it throws errors, is there a way around these issues?

Is the fan for the CPU? if so maybe get a passive heatsink?

Also there are some power option within pfsesnse that help limit power usage.

It's a blade server with 4 barrel style fans (middle top of image). They blow over the cpu heat-syncs under the black cowl.

http://1000servers.com/dell-pe-sc1435.html# (last image, interior)