Level1Techs | Build a Router 2016 Q4 -- pfSense Build

i like this. it's most goodness.

I am the only wierd one that wants to build a pfense firewall for a network within a network.. Wirelessly maybe even bluetooth.

Love this topic and introduction, and love that the next installation is open ended. Your content delivery aesthetic is great, very next level. The use of foreground and background, overlays, etc. The Level1tech music and logo is awesome. I'm older, I don't need a loud aggressive intro every time I want to watch a video.

I have a pfsense box and a managed VLAN switch (POE). I can't wait for your tips and tricks with functionality tutorials: pfBlockerNG with iBlocklist, NTP, DNS, Snort, VLANs.

Is there any thought as to have Qain on to suppliment this topic at all?

Do you have a home server that can do VMs? You could get a 2-in-1 solution, assuming you're confident enough in your home server to make it responsible for the internet too. I keep a cheapo router with my settings dialed in in the closet for emergencies, heh. If you don't have a home server, make one!

Only an off the shelf NAS, but I plan on building something eventually, probably when zen is released.

1 Like

it's much safer+reliable to run a separate, physical machine as your router. unless you're quite skilled+experienced, in which case, you wouldn't need anyone to give advise/suggestions on the issue in the first place. : )

1 Like

I gave this a try again after a false start or two and for the first time I'm actually getting even beyond the bandwidth I am paying for which is a really nice feeling.

Everything is working with the exception of OPT1. (WiFi) I am sure that I am doing something really simple wrong because even though i mirrored the firewall rules on LAN and everything gets an IP Address from pfsense I don't have any connectivity. I can't even ping the gateway.

The WiFi works fine enough when I change the static IP to match LAN and plug it in there. But putting it on OPT1 isn't working right now.

Tell me what I overlooked!
Thanks

I am really liking this thread, but I am not sure if this post belongs here or if I should create a new thread (I don't normally forum post, just comment and read).

I managed to get my hands (through my wallet) on a com express type 10 board with a quad core intel atom (i believe e3845) with 2g ram and was wondering the possibility of turning it into a pfsense router. I just purchased it so I don't have it in hand, but I am hoping to find some sort of carrier board that won't cost an arm and a leg (as I only spent something like 30 bucks for the board), with multiple nics if possible. It came with a carrier board, but very unspecific and I don't think there is any way to expand pcie ports, though the processor is capable. Do you think that this is any way possible? I'll keep anyone interested with updates when I get it in the mail. If I can't get it working the way that I want, I may eventually have to sell it to someone who is smarter than me and knows what they are doing (cough @wendell cough), or just use it for another project.

1 Like

Post pics and links to the hw. Even if only one nic you can get creative with vlans

3 Likes

If you have a miniBox PC with one nic and a managed switch (VLAN); can you route the WAN into the switch?

Yes, you can create VLAN interface for WAN and LAN on pfsense the just connect the modem in to the switch. You put the modem port on the switch on the same VLAN as the wan interface and tag it on the port that connects to pfsense.

1 Like

@wendell

I finally set up https://forum.level1techs.com/t/level1techs-build-a-router-2016-q4-pfsense-build/109199/58?u=cosaga box in my home network.
However the box is running hotter than I would like at 61c~63c:

Any ideas to cool this little router down a bit?

My ideas so far are:
1. Drill holes in the top, but since the bottom is where the heat sinks for the CPU are I doubt this will help much.
2. Small heat sinks inside on things like RAM.
3. Maybe a larger piece of copper/aluminum on the bottom to act as a larger heat sink for the case(which as far as I can see is the heat sink for the CPU)

Thanks

EDIT: Also still wondering if you haveany cool ideas for the extra mSata slots

EDIT 2: Ok I am thinking maybe something like this with some termal pads.

I know what I am about to say is very far reaching but; what would also look nice with your video presentation aesthetic would be animated (whiteboard styled) overlays introducing setups or schematics that you will later configure in UIs.

I know that it is just adding labour to some of the videos, but probably could only represent maybe 3-4 minutes and it would definitely add to the quality of the tutorial.

Just a thought.

Try giving it some airflow and see if that makes a difference. If it does experiment with low cfm fans?

The chapter marks on your videos are awesome, thank you.

@wendell, finally after your last video I went and built something. What do you think?

1 Like

Anybody had good luck with a chromebox (I have the Asus) booting the flipping usb stick? I can't seem to get this to behave at all.

As a countermeasure, I attempted the install on my desktop (main PC) with no problems whatsoever. I attempted to simply swap the hard drives but it doesn't even see the hard drive. The cherry on top is the fact that it can recognize other Linux distros from usb, but not pfsense.... I'm hoping this ~140usd mini pc can work somehow; currently using reFind but nothing good shows up. Ironic that this dd image boots but not the pfsense one. I may have to go with intel's NUC (Nowhere near as cheap).

Why I'm trying hard to get it to work is the small, inexpensive form factor that this computer has....it's a full fedge pi without the limp dildo of ARM (no offense but it never appealed since it's not x86 ).

Anyways if nobody has tried this just ignore....I'm currently trying other options in mind.

Just a wild stab in the dark but the Chromebox may not be able to boot in legacy mode and may require UEFI booting which isn't available in the latest stable version (2.3.2) until pfSense 2.4. Maybe try the 2.4 beta snapshot and see if it helps. Wouldn't really recommend running it in a production environment but its worth a try.

https://snapshots.pfsense.org/

I can't flipping believe this was the problem... now I feel awfully dumb...well I feel really good actually, my project's a success.

What drove me away from bios being an issue was the fact that other people claimed this was working with no problems (on plex forums). However, I do recall reading that the hacked bios for chrome-ware is UEFI only; how ignorant of me to follow an 2 year old guide point blank without recognizing these two are different :P

I'm gonna rock beta and expect random internet outages at worst. If it was anything larger than personal LAN, I'd have gone with something that had more horsepower (and definitely wouldn't be using unstable builds).

Anyways thanks mane.

For others interested:
This IS a simple process. Other distros should run smoothly. This box has a Celeron (X86 CPU) that is praised for being a fancy looking HTPC-plex/kodi player at only half the cost of your average NUC; it's performance is worth its price considering the specs (comes with an m.2 ssd and some ram).

ps: pfsense hurry up and get it stable!

1 Like

You just needed different perspective on the issue, and given that support for UEFI booting is only in a beta release you'd have a hard time finding this solution without some knowledge on the 2.4 roadmap but I'm happy I could help you with that.

The roadmap for 2.4 is at 74% with 288 issues (202 closed and 86 open) so it is likely not too far off, at least from an RC version.

https://redmine.pfsense.org/projects/pfsense/roadmap