Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

starting to get cold, Time to see what this Vega64 can do

I believe soā€¦ Although Iā€™m not folding on Linux at the moment so I canā€™t confirm or deny it for Linux.

Last winter I did some folding if stays cold I might have to fire up some folding @home If have couple computers that could do that 6 that could let it run fairly easy.

1 Like

Thinking I might be doing the same this year.

its hot enough to use the AC on low so no folding today, tonight maybe if it drops

Itā€™s 55 and raining today. Perfect folding weather. Keep the office window open and itā€™s a nice 75 in there all day.

1 Like

My mom was like ā€œdonā€™t you want a heater for your room?ā€
steps into my room thatā€™s 10C and 30 decibles louder than the other rooms in the house
ā€œohā€

1 Like

I am going to wait to tell temps are in the 30ā€™s on average. Having 6 computers on folding add some heat to place.

Around here itā€™s starting to get colder now so Iā€™m pretty much folding 24/7 apart from when Iā€™m gaming on my rig

Since I cleaned out my dust filters my case temperature doesnā€™t go as high anymore so itā€™s not as cozy anymoreā€¦ the struggle is real :frowning:

Since your not inside the PC case, thats not actually the impact youā€™ve had on the room. The PC isnā€™t actually drawing noticeably less power just because the filters are clean (indeed chances are the GPU will draw MORE under full load, as voltage/clock-speed are dynamic to temperature from factory), thus its putting the same amount (or more) of heat into the room, and itā€™ll be just as cozyā€¦ or even potentially warmer.

Which is why I was not talking about power draw, but case temperature.

With the dustfilters clogged thereā€™s obviously less fresh air, which means less cooling capacity, which means more heat accumulating in the case. Since my PC is under the desk it is extremely noticeable that it isnā€™t as warm anymore after the cleaning.

Hey @wendell!
Any chance you could test the Rx 6000 cards for folding? Iā€™d be interested to see what kind of performance they have.

2 Likes

Theyā€™ll be good. Just a matter of how good.

I too am interested to see how well they do.

Yeah I donā€™t expect them to suck eitherā€¦

Iā€™m really want the RX6900XT but my local currency has not faired well against the almighty $$$ since the pandemic hit. Itā€™s doing better now, and hopefully much better when they appear in stock sometime in 2021šŸ¤ž

1 Like

Anyone know the PPD and average power consumption while folding of the 6800XT? I havenā€™t been able to find any info on them as far as folding goes yet.

INB4 they are still new.
Yes, I know, but I want to know now because Iā€™m curious. Answers fast better than answers slow.

I havenā€™t found anything either. Keeping an ear to the ground though. Will let you know.

https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_overall
This is a good page to check out :wink:

Looks like the numbers are not too convincing yet, but that might change in the future with some new drivers and maybe F@H getting better coding for the new cards, although this last part iā€™m not qualified to answer.

1 Like

Mh maybe anyone of you got an ideaā€¦

My Workunit is finished, but it is stuck uploading for a day now and I canā€™t get it to complete. And it wonā€™t start the next unit until the upload is doneā€¦

It tries periodically or when I manually Pause/Resume folding on that slot, but the result in the log is always the same:

12:52:17:WU01:FS01:Sending unit results: id:01 state:SEND error:NO_ERROR project:14816 run:2453 clone:0 gen:216 core:0xa7 unit:0x000000f7455e42060000000009950000
12:52:17:WU01:FS01:Uploading 6.85MiB to 69.94.66.6
12:52:17:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 69.94.66.6:8080
12:52:23:WU01:FS01:Upload 49.28%
12:52:34:WU01:FS01:Upload complete
12:52:34:WU01:FS01:Server responded PLEASE_WAIT (464)
12:52:34:WARNING:WU01:FS01:Failed to send results, will try again later

Itā€™s completing the upload and then telling me to wait and failing? Doesnā€™t really make senseā€¦ any ideas? I guess I could just delete the slot and re-create it but I donā€™t really wanna do that when it looses the work :confused:

edit:
Well 2 hours later and it finally worked itself outā€¦