Level1 Space Engineers Server

Server I helped a friend moderate was using an i7 8700k if irc, this was meant for like 30 people at a time.

I can give you a VM on my nas.

Cant remember but I dont think SE liked hosting from a VM, id have to talk to some people to confirm that but I vaguely remember someone tried that and it wasnt running smoothly… again I think; so I could be wrong.

I don’t see why unless the box was already slow.

Went on their discord and asked
basically they just recommend going with the highest IPC cpu you can get for it, IPC is favored over core count

That dude has no idea what he’s talking about. 5% overhead is a poorly-setup qemu VM. (defaults accepted)

A properly setup qemu VM can score higher in some synthetics and real-world tests than the physical CPU.

I make no claims to be an expert in the matter, but we can certainly put that to the test.

Well as the saying goes -
youll%20never%20know%20unless%20you%20try

I’ll take you up on that offer, @Adubs. Let’s give it a try.

Out of curiosity, what is your set up? Proxmox? I’ve been struggling to get decent performance out of my VMs.

Edit: Also sorry for taking so long guys, I’ve quit my job and become self employed over the last few weeks so I’ve been super busy.

Bump for interest. It seems like every year around this time I get an itch for SE.

Unraid. Gimme a bit to get it set up and I’ll dm you the deets.

1 Like

So what i’m hearing is we need one of those top end high clocked intel or AMD dual core CPUs hooked up to phase change cooling with the fastest tightest timing RAM we can find or muster.

EDIT: accidentally a word

And a restart of the server process every 24 hours.

I played SE with a bunch of colleagues on a server of mine (Sandy Bridge i7) and that was a mixed experience. I’m currently playing (and hosting for) with friends from a German Paradox Interactive forum.

The server was bad in the past. It hat a few memory leaks and I had to restart it every 12 hours so that it would be bearable. I’m currently hosting on nitrado.net (commercial hoster) because I did not trust myself to install the windows vm on my dedicated server without breaking anything in the container virtualisation department.

I’d say: As long as you do not have better hardware than the hosters do it is more fun to just buy the service and host something else instead (minecraft, factorio anything else that runs on linux). Games are supposed to be fun.

2 Likes

i use this software that set my programs as a service and even restart them if X Y or Z attributes are met, including X amount of RAM and or Y amount of CPU usage.

1 Like

I started the server as a service and shut down the service at midnight and noon. Then ran a steam update and a backup of the save file, then restarted the service, if I remember correctly.

Well I’ve hit a road block of not being able to actually start the server. I’m trying this on ltsc but I’ll wipe it and try on a standard 10 VM. It doesnt like something here as the server just restarts over and over.

EDIT: looks like SE dedicated server in a VM is a no go. sorry bois. Not sure why and theres no errors, it just loops over and over.

2 Likes

Everything%20is%20proceeding%20as%20I%20forseen

1 Like

Thanks for your help @Adubs, I’ll let you guys know when I get the hardware.

UPDATE: I finally have the hardware. Setting up the server over the next few days. Will update with progress.

3 Likes

The server is an i7 with 16GBs of RAM. Should be suitable. I’m installing the dedicated server now. Gotta figure out how to setup port forwarding on my Ubiquiti router.

1 Like