Level1 Musicians

fun blues thing I have done recently.

I like it a lot. The melodies, I think are catchy, and the sounds are really good.

Two critiques, however:

1. I think you need to work on your mixing. At certain points the drums get drowned out by everything else in the mix.
  2. I think it's too short. Then again, my tracks can get really long, so, take this one with a grain of salt.
1 Like

It takes time to figure that kind of thing out.

Finally done:

http://hexcellerate.bandcamp.com/track/nightfall

All feedback is welcome.

1 Like

So, I got this off a guy for $300 a couple days ago.

2 Likes

Wrote a new album for my solo project, here is the link to my thread: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/my-solo-project-sleep-experiment/110322?u=obi-wan_shinobi

1 Like

Here's a new track I just finished called "Among the Stars":

Which will be apart of a trance EP I'm working on called Trancendence:

This particular track is basically what would happen if I took trance and synthwave and threw them in a particle accelerator.

@Alamar I know you like trance; I would appreciate it if you would give this a listen and let me know what you think.

3 Likes

Link pls

Oh shit, forgot to leave it in the above post, lol. It's there now.

I like it, makes me want to drive in the snow and try to keep up with @kewldude007
Well done Hex

1 Like

Thanks. :D

Nice. I will check this out tomorrow and let you know.

1 Like

I've been playing euphonium and tuba, for several years and I can play trombone too. Also I like to mess around with a Yamaha YPG-235 that I have. I'd like to learn bass guitar though sometime, because my dad has been playing guitar for years, and I'd like to play with him.

1 Like

Finally got some time to listen :D Overall I dig it. The synths sound good and I like the spacey/trancy vibe of the track

I like the lead that starts in at 1:31. Its simple, but provides some nice bright/melodic contrast with the darker backing synths.

Imo, the breakdown that starts at 2:29 could be a bit longer (I'm a sucker for killer melodic breakdown segments). If you increased the duration of the breakdown, perhaps adding a new lead melody and soft backing synths or even rehashing some of the melodies used previously but with different filters, etc that would be nice. Also, you could stretch out the buildup a bit if you wanted as well (im talking like 45 seconds or less total for increasing the breakdown/buildup section - not multiple minutes). A longer breakdown/buildup would make the climax ('release' or crescendo - whatever you want to call it) have more punch when it arrives. At under 5 minutes, you've still got plenty of room to add just a bit to the breakdown/buildup segment since a lot of un-edited original mixes come in at 7-8 minutes long.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback. :D As you know, my tracks can get long, lol. This one, however, I didn't want to be too long, though it did end up being a little longer than I intended.

That's writing music for ya, though. Nothing hardly ever goes according to plan. Perfectly, at least.

Any time.

Also, I wanted to add that my feedback was geared towards what I feel to be following the standard rules of a trance track. However, we all know that having strict rules can prevent progression and its not always good to follow 'the rules' at every turn. Its perfectly fine to make the content any duration as long as you (and hopefully others - but mainly you) enjoy it. Being a big dream theater nerd, I'm fine with longer tracks. 20 minutes? If it's good and engaging - hell yeah! :D

1 Like

I see where you're coming from. I prefer longer tracks myself, however I'm of the opinion that there's a time a and for it, and not every application of it will work out. Though in my case that kind of thing just happens and people usually don't mind.

I am planning on learning how to play guitar. I want to play black metal or death metal.

2 Likes

Nice. Don't hesitate to ask for advice. There's been multiple 'learning guitar' threads flying around here, so perhaps look at those for ideas.

Well, my first question would be how to do best learn things? On your own, or from an instructor? When I first started learned how to play guitar I learned from watching YouTube videos and did that for a year. Then I got actual lessons from an instructor and hated it, mainly because the instructor I had was arrogant as fuck.