Level 1 Gains

I think the best diet doesn’t have a name. It’s just your diet. I think it should achieve your health goals, work with your social life, be sustainable for a long period of time(roughly the rest of your life), and be reasonably enjoyable. Any diet that is too hard to sustain isn’t a good diet. Which one is good or bad just depends on the person. Some people thrive on restrictive diets, some people can’t do it. Discipline is important, but consistency is also important.

4 Likes

The average day’s food for me:

Breakfast: 1 egg + banana,berries, or avocado. (250-350 cal.)

Lunch: Lettuce/cucumber/peppers/feta cheese/olive oil/balsamic vinegar/oregano + meat (chicken,salmon,beef or pork). (350-450 cal.)

Snack: Mixed nuts and dried fruit. The amount depends on my day’s activities. (Currently 250 cal.)

Dinner: Open for whatever. 500-1000 cal.

Snack: Usually something chocolate /w milk - 500 cal. <<Optional

I try to stay around 1850-2150 cal.

Oh, this has been my diet (roughly) for the last 8 months.

Yesterday for me - fasted til late in the day (was deliberately short on calories as i’m running a deficit to drop weight)

breakfast:
black coffee
swisse magnesium powder supplement

lunch:
2x protein bar: 208 cal
2x canned tuna with indian curry: 182 cal
black coffee

dinner (all pre prepped in the fridge - cold):
217g cooked chicken breast: ~370 cal
1/2 hass avocado: 114 cal
2x boiled eggs: 155 cal
mayonnaise: ~100 cal
desert: GF’s keto caramel slice: 328 cal (1 carb)

snacks: 2x protein bars (190 cal total)

I was focused on hitting my protein goal, all up that was:
149.6g of protein (spot on for my macros)
95g of fat (under by 24g)
13.6g net carbs (under by 8 - my limit is 22 based on 5% as per ketogains)
1674 cal total

i wasn’t hungry all day.

my 20% deficit calories amount is about 1750
i smashed out a 20km ride in the evening just prior to dinner (so intake was massively under what i burned yesterday). worth noting that the previous day i was on about 2000 calories so that day was a bit over. hence trying to work it off :smiley:

2 Likes

So, did my first 24 hr fast today.

Just ate dinner. because the GF got home and was eating. reckon i could have gone through until at least the morning without food, but baby steps. Did get a very few minor hunger ish type pangs around 3pm (dinner was 9pm) but i suspect it was thirst as water made them go away. And not just temporarily.

Otherwise nothing untoward to report. I’m sure this isn’t news to some people here who have done it, but using this as a kind of running journal both for myself and anyone else in here who may be interested in the keto thing.

I think “OMAD” or “One meal a day” may be something i could do at least when eating the keto way (apart from protein bar snacks, the only meal i had yesterday was dinner as well). Getting all my requirements in one sitting isn’t too difficult if i want to, but if i don’t want to eat that much the hunger isn’t really a thing.

And it sure makes sorting out what to eat for lunch when away from home super easy, if you just skip it until dinner time :smiley: Probably the way humans evolved to eat anyway. hunt during the day and cook up in the evening after hunting success. Food available 24/7 is a relatively recent thing.

Also, something amazing… fasting related.

Yes. That’s 380 days with no food…

2 Likes

Was your last meal mostly high fat based? Because the high protein on a fast is really not gonna work well. A lot of protein can exhaust the body. Really fatty salmon is a good idea. Best to have it baked with butter and rosemary.

Last meal (prior to the fast) was bacon and eggs. 5 rashers of bacon and 4 eggs scrambled.

Amongst a few other bits and pieces to get my macros right for the day. would have been a lot more fat than protein IIRC (by calories at least).

Facing my fears bros.

Feels good to be back in the gym.

6 Likes

I’ve hit a wall. I’m bored with food and I’m not even bulking. If I’m not enjoying food I guess I may as well just bulk because I can force feed myself anything because all eating is kinda force feeding.

2 Likes

The best thing to do when you hit a wall is keep hitting it. Bust the fuck through it.

Turn on destroyer mode, hit the gym harder, eat better, push yourself farther.

You may also need to switch it up.

1 Like

My training is good, it’s just food. I don’t really enjoy eating lately. I never really have any cravings or look forward to food. Caloric intake has always been the hardest part of it all for me anyway, not for lack of trying, I can make myself put down 2000+ calories every meal but it takes work.

1 Like

Ah, yeah, I feel that.

:confused:

You might be mildly depressed.

Take a leaf out of the Keto book and make some fat bombs… except yours will be even higher in calories because they’ll have carbs as well.

I’m in the same boat. Just keep at it if you want progress. Only way I hit calorie goals is by counting. If I don’t count, I lose weight rapidly. I’m never hungry. Liquid is easier than solid. Fat dense meals help some, but it’s still a constant struggle. Been bulking slowly at 3100-3200kcal a day for a while now.

While I accept it is possible, because everyone is susceptible to depression given the right conditions, I doubt that is the case. I was very strictly keto for about 4 month last year until I went to Quakecon and while I liked how it affected my energy and helped with inflammation I didn’t really need to lose any weight and it just wasn’t working for even really maintaining muscle unless I was eating like I was bulking.
Between then and new years diet and training both went to shit because I was on an endless travel rotation for work. In the last month training has been back on track but diet has been up and down. I think it may be time to really carb down and bulk up again.

@dinlotty yeah it makes it a lot easier, especially when you get over the tracking hump and find yourself hitting or even exceeding calorie goals without thinking about it.
I think I’ll do a week long food journal then start mapping a calorie progression.

1 Like

Just throwing things out to see what sticks.

When I’m feeling depressed, I tend not to eat right, or want to eat at all.

1 Like

My arms are healing (ulnar ligament), and my new job is 15 KM away. With the snow nearly gone I will be biking soon… maybe next week sometime.

I feel like golfing this summer.

What’s up with you guys? =)

I’m 13.5 kg down since january, about 8kg to go to get my goal weight.

still on keto, still haven’t had a cheat day

3 Likes

Was training for a 5k but might not go through with it. The benefits from simply “preparing” for one have convinced me to stick with it, and I don’t need a trophy or anything :grin:

Want to start lifting again, but I’m not feeling it. Been liking the running + callisthenics.

2 Likes

I try to run a 5K twice a week. I usually get them in.

Good!

Lifting is tough to get into, but if you can, do it.

I’ve been working on diet. I’ve always had a hard time disciplining myself to eat well, so that’s been my focus for the last few weeks. Still in the gym, but down to 2x a week because my priorities shifted and the diet changes have reduced overall intake, so until I get into the rhythm and get back up to normal, I’m taking it easy so I don’t injur myself.

4 Likes