Level 1 Gains

Anyone do that raw meat thing? I hear you don’t have to eat as much because cooked meat is basically indigestible. And the cost of getting such good cuts of meat to eat raw is something too.

Am thinking about buying a kettlebell and really hiting the prverbial it really hard at home. I much rather prefer body weight exercises than weitghtlifting but I haven’t been active in quite some time.

1 Like

quick update from me aswell:

• 6kg down
  • muscles up

still allowing some cheatdays but gotta say that those are not as “intensly needed” as before. and those are mostly in response to bunch of stress and less sleep.

still going keto and will introduce some intermitted fasting in the next weeks.

3 Likes

I don’t know. I eat some raw meat, when I eat sammiches, but I don’t eat it all the time. Definitely feel much better after eating raw though. Might have to give it a try.

On my list. Gotta get the discipline down first tho.

1 Like

My understanding of human development thru the ages is that humans started getting bigger brains when they started cooking. Cooking anything, including meat starts the digesting process, so makes it easier for the body to absorb nutrients.

Having done it with the GF for the past 3 months I’ll drop some tips that we’ve discovered

• high protein low carb bread does exist. its not the same as white bread but it does enable you to make sandwiches :smiley:
  • cauliflower “rice” is a pretty good substitute for meals that you’d otherwise pair with rice (e.g., curries, etc.).
  • visit ketogains.com and work out what your suggested calorie intake and macros are based on your goals and body fat percentage, etc.
  • definitely get an app like “Carb Manager” or “My Fitness Pal” to track your macros (that you calculated above) - at least starting out. If you just start winging it like i did without calculating your macros and tracking them you’ll probably be surprised at how much you fucked up (i was getting nowhere near enough protein) :smiley:. Once you’ve been doing it for a bit you don’t need to track so much (because you’ll have an idea what you should be eating), but tracking does definitely help you identify any symptoms of deficiency you may have with what you are deficient in
  • electrolytes! you will piss like a racehorse to start with and flush a lot of these out. you need to replenish them.
  • Big one: avoid sugar replacements as much as possible. (e.g., sugar alcohols). Yes, they’re no/low carb and no/low calorie. But they can trick your brain into thinking it is getting sugar/carbs, it then tries to burn sugar/carbs that do not exist in your body, and you go through the sugar crash (where your brain freaks the fuck out because it has no fuel until the body synthesises some for it) - AGAIN. The GF got screwed by this several times - she figured she could eat/drink them with abandon as they were “ok for keto” but just because they do not spike blood sugar, doesn’t mean they might not have other adverse effects. They’re OK in small amounts, but leave it at that. Some of the sugar replacements have adverse effects on your digestion also anyway so… even though they’re “OK” - avoid if you can. when this happened to her she was drinking a lot of diet soda and baking (and consuming) sweet treats with Xylitol and Erythritol. Again, you don’t need to cut it entirely, but still treat it as sugar like you would on a regular non-keto diet (i.e., restrict) and you should be OK. Just remember it’s not a free pass to eat as much sweet stuff as you like, even if it is zero carb/calorie.
  • nuts like pecans and walnuts are a good snack if you have to snack.
  • have a meal plan - plan ahead.
  • eggplant is a great pasta replacement for Lasagne. We both agreed we would eat eggplant lasagne again even if not continuing with keto.

On raw meat… i’m curious about it, but i like my reverse seared steak way too much. I do raw salmon in sushi occasionally though.

1 Like

Oh yeah, forgot. Low carb high protein pasta also exists. And its pretty good. I’ll see if i can find the brand, have some at home.

1 Like

My life is pasta, which is one of the reasons keto is gonna be tough for me, so if you can share that, it might be helpful.

No worries, at work at the moment, but will try to remember when i get home.

Be aware: it’s not cheap though (well, at least not here, $10 a bag in australian pesos). But as an occasional “i’m really craving some pasta” thing its great.

Cooked food I guess. But to what degree of cooked to where it’s still edible. I wouldn’t eat a well done cod or salmon. Which is why I think meat should be had the same as a properly baked cod or salmon. Or just lightly sear the steak. We also at the bones and the organs too. Nothing went to waste because we could not afford to be so wasteful with our food.

1 Like

Just because cave men did something doesn’t always mean it is best.

Cave men only used to live til their early 30s, so take the ideas of “we should do what cave men did” with a pinch of salt.

That said, most people overcook their food way too much, even outside of the possible nutritional stuff. Anyone who goes beyond “medium” on a steak for example is a monster.

Eating raw or under cooked food is usually fine. A big reason why it’s not recommended is for food safety reasons(salmonella, e. coli, live parasites, etc.). For a healthy adult, you usually have nothing to worry about, but kids, elderly and immune deficient people can have severe problems. Basically, if you like eating rare steaks(as I do), that’s fine, but I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone.

As far as digestibility, your body is pretty good at digesting nearly anything you give it. If you’re not having problems in the bathroom, it’s a good sign that you’re properly digesting what you’re eating.

Citation: Used to work in restaurants and was ServSafe certified.

I am more concerned about these people who eat raw pork. WTF?

Fine way to get parasites and actually seriously ill.

Also, for the fans of fruit yoghurts. Skyr is an islandic method of producing yoghurt and contains a ton of protein and little carbs. There’s a few companies that make fruit yoghurts with very little sugar (compared to other fruit yoghurts). But they are of course also available as normal yoghurts and vanilla, both of which have none/less sugar.

1 Like

Always makes me wonder when i read german in LVL1 :joy:

but still:

34,2g sugar in the whole thing. Its not that much but be aware of that amount.

Quick Keto / Intermitting Fasting Update:

Day 2 of no BPC in the Morning instead black coffee with stevia until lunch at noon. So fasting from 9pm to 12am totalling 15 hours of no food.

I had a nasty fall while skiing 2 weeks ago, and my shoulder is taking awhile to recover. Any good ab exercises where i can keep my arms at my side and not behind my head or doing actual work? Just like lying leg raises?

I didn’t expect such a thread to exist here. Great i found it!
(After typing it i realized i basically shared my life-story with you. Sorry for the long text…)

I was rather active in the Gym a year back. Went 4-5 times a week, split training, proper nutrition. The whole nine yards. I went for two years i think. It was the first time in my life i did some “serious” sports. I’ve always been sedentary and my current job makes me more so. I basically spend 14-16 hours a day at a desk.

I was up to a decent 350 pound Deadlift, 250ish Squat and could Bench around 110 or so for 10 reps. But i started to notice slight changes in character. I’m not sure if it was because of the sport itself or the people that where around in the gym. I was always a little more “feminin” for a guy. Not in terms of looks, but in my character. But this started to change. And i didn’t like it.
I started to look to much in the mirror, was taking more pictures than i’d like. I started to loose focus on other things. I’ve had more than one instance where i’ve been much more harsh with my wife than i would have been in the past.

I left the studio behind a year ago and want back to basically no sport what so ever. My Body is back to where it was before (minus some pounds, but this could be long term nutritional changes). I’ve always had a Problem with moderation. If something interests me im 110% in.

Since i know sitting for 14 hours straight every single day isn’t good in the long term, i will now try to go back to the gym. I’ll probably not go back to lifting free weights. Just an hour three times a week, half cardio half training on machines. Mainly for the back and chest. I’m not going to work out a training plan. Just go to the gym, work for an hour on whatever i fell like that day and get out.

I really hope that i can get back on to it without going full ham again.

I’m really interested if other people noticed changes similar to mine when they started building muscle more seriously.

1 Like

If you can, try to wean yourself off sugar replacements. As per my post above, they’re ok in small doses but they can actually put you through a sugar type crash - brain is tricked into thinking it is getting carbs, tries to burn them, there aren’t any and you sugar crash again.

GF went through this a few times until we figured she’d started drinking this diet soda in large quantities. Even though it doesn’t spike the blood sugar a lot of shit in the brain is based on associations and the release of dopamine or whatever from sugar taste can maybe trick it.

I’m not sure how much you can get away with, but just be aware that if you feel like you’re cranky/tired/grumpy/etc. it could be sugar replacement related.

Consider sugar replacements as a temporary crutch or still as an occasional treat.

I’m eating sugar replacements occasionally but they’re reserved for occasional desserts, etc. My coffee, i’ve just taken to putting thickened cream in it to take the edge off the coffee taste if i feel like something a little less harsh than straight black.

Also… 92.6kg this morning. 14kg down, about 6-8kg to go…

edit:
Also stevia is super concentrated. Very easy to use way too much of it. Xylitol or stevia blend with something else is a little easier to not OD on and doesn’t have so much of the stevia type aftertaste.

I do look in the mirror more now that I’m routinely lifting. It’s not all for vanity, though. I’m not interested in bodybuilding. A lot of the time is just evaluating and tracking body fat percentage.

I wouldn’t say anything has changed personality wise. Relationship with wife is the same, but with more flexing. I’m still just as apathetic and sedentary as I used to be, but my posture has improved. I find myself more upright with a proud chest without thinking about it.

2 Likes