Level 1 Gains

So, actually worked out my macros.

I’ve been way down on protein…

68cb553eff5a105ff687adf70581a5ab90d7bc8a02377caf4bf02fdf278317d8

From what I hear it is normal to lose a little performance in the beginning as you adjust. I don’t think a month is considering long on that diet

From what I understand, anerobic(sprinting) is the form of exercise that takes a performance hit during ketosis. It’s one of the major reasons I’ve never considered the diet. Lifting weights is a major hobby for me, so I try to optimize to some extent.

Yeah that’s what i figured. But because i didn’t bother to work out my macros, i was getting like half the protein i needed. It wasn’t lack of energy that made things feel difficult. Just sore muscles that didn’t recover fast enough.

Fixed that. now much better.

Just smashed out my 2 longest cycling stints in the past 3 days, before i was feeling the effects of a ride for 5 days afterward…

Since I get carried away by negative emotions and little set-backs I got back on the carb / sugar / processed food path…

…but like the old saying goes:

one step back, two ahead!

And I got a compliment that I look a little thinner than usual. So at least something is working.

I “just” need that shit going for a “long” time, at least in regards to my usual succession of the diet which is basically Mo-Fr and then the weekend hits where I have no fucking discipline at all and the cheating starts…

But still: Progress is made and we will achieve our goals, no matter what! :pray: :100:

You fool. Life is the only pleasure. It is your duty to preserve it.

1 Like

What is your nutritional lifestyle?

1 Like

True, but if you go ham and don’t eat at least somewhat healthy for your body then you will not have a long health span.

despair.

Basically i life on sugar and carbs but switching to keto is really good for my mental health and focus also mitigating “food coma” after breakfast / lunch / dinner when im not eating carbs.

So I would say that keto is an improvement but the switching process fucks me bad

why? you got any tips? I’m always glad to improve my shit.

I’ve been doing keto for 4 months now. If you ever need help or resources I’m here for you.

Also, I’ve been drafting a large thread about keto. Still in-the-works but it should help you, or any other people looking to get started.

4 Likes

Just take at easy on the pork fat. Much easier for you body to deal with bird, deer, fish or goat.

I typically go for lean, then add the fats in; via butter or tallow.

Wild-caught Alaskan Sockeye salmon is some of the healthiest fatty meat you can get. And its delicious and easy to digest because its fish. Super high in Omega-3’s.

2 Likes

Cheating only sets you back :smiley:

A friend put me on to an app called “carb manager”

It has helpful shit like this:

It can also set you up a meal plan… it costs a few dollars, but this sort of thing will really help - if you plan your meals and shopping ahead. Have keto friendly food in the fridge at all times. If you have to have sweets, bake some keto ones with stevia or other keto friendly sweetener.

And if you drink on the weekend - try to keep to the spirits.

Can also scan bar codes and get guides to food like this (for shopping purposes):

Also, seriously - if you want to stop cheating… throw out the bad stuff…

1 Like

I’d say it is definitely worth it so far. Just need to make sure you aren’t switching constantly.

Since January 1

• I’ve dropped from 106 kg to 98 kg (233 -> 216 lb)
  • GF has dropped from 57kg to 52.3kg (125 -> 115 lb)

She’d been trying to lose a couple of KG for several months with exercise and not changing diet (she is quite small anyway). For both of us the drop since the eating change has been dramatic - its definitely clear that there’s been a fairly linear drop since Jan 1st.

The key is definitely to ensure that you have some food prepped in advance, or a meal plan prepped in advance. So that when you get home from work or whatever and can’t be bothered, it is already there for you.

Snacks such as cheese or cold meats or whatever that you can just eat with no prep from the fridge also help. At least 3-4 times I’ve just eaten stuff like ham or cheese or whatever out of the fridge if i’ve gotten hom late and can’t be bothered. Canned tuna also.

Far better to do that than crumble and reach for the junk because you can’t be bothered… canned fish is cheap and still pretty good for you keto wise.

First of all, thank you @thro and @Dynamic_Gravity for your help, much appreciated!

>sighs loudly

This is gonna be way more personal that I would like it to be.

Fuck, but I really really wanna get it right and kinda feel that I NEED it to get it right soon, thats what needs to happen.

So:

I don’t feel good when I eat too much carbs and sugar and processed foods. But it’s not that I don’t feel good it’s that my depression really starts to fuck with me.

As for now I figured it out somewhat like that:

Discipline, WorkOut, Keto-diet regulates my negative emotions pretty good but because my brain chemistry I don’t feel “good”. It’s more an empty feeling of me just doing things without any sense.

This is completely over as soon as I eat sugar / carbs, anything processed and “unhealthy” carby.

I feel good and calm.

But that doesn’t last long since after that the cravings go up, my depression goes up, I don’t get my chores done, etc. The whole “getting off the rails” starts.
And “getting of the rails” is nothing too little. Everything deteriorates and keeps getting worse until it’s smoking weed, eating garbage and jerking off 24/7.

And I’m tired of that, so. fucking. tired. of. this. shit.

Mostly because I can, if I get the good shit going, actually accelerate at work/career which would benefit me massively and I don’t wanna miss out on that.

I already missed out so fucking much and I can’t go back to the crippling depression and bad relationships with my friends/family/coworkers and degrade my body and mind, did that. Won’t do it again.

Okay, since I don’t like to complain without getting somewhat of a solution going, here is my “action” plan:

• I need to stick with my “routine” through out the week AND(!!!) the weekends (sticking to it being disciplined)
  • I need to diversify my meals (more keto recipes)
  • I need to “cheat” a little bit: resistant starch from a potato once/twice a week (to mitigate that cold/empty feeling of having a fucked up brain chemistry)

The first and the last point are totally on my end of the spectrum.

Since you people are also doing keto, what kind of meals for at home and at work, lunch, do you guys do/prepare?

I’m not that into food and cooking, so I just want the food to work and not be another chore that I have to manage. (Since I’m not able to manage the rest of my chores to begin with)

Thanks again guy, I really appreciate you help and insight into this topic, since it seems to be not that easy for me to “just do” keto, although it is insanely beneficial for me.

:100: :heart: you beautiful crayon eating motherlovers

3 Likes

This is because your body is still addicted to carbs. when you eat refined sugar it releases dopamine in the same way that cocaine does. Sugar is addictive. Because you’ve ingested sugar when you feel down you have trained your body into this, and now have to shock it back. It will not be easy. What you are doing/will have to do is essentially the same thing someone who is going through rehab is trying to do.

In this video Dr. Berry should give you some good advice on how the proper diet can help with depression and anxiety.

Also, you’re not crazy. My anxiety and depression was a lot higher when I was on the SAD diet. So I know how you feel.

3 Likes

That is my childhood summed up pretty much way into my twenties.

Great, but hey even if the path is hard as fuck, you can see the way and keep going a step at a time, right?

Do you have experience with restrained starch and/or supplement it?

Woo February status update.
More fat losses. Not as substantial as the last 3 updates. Gaining more muscle again. Was losing due to the high amount of cardio I was doing.
Swapped from drop sets back to standard 3 sets of 10 to 15 reps.
Can’t wait for April results.

4 Likes

Make no mistake, if you’re used to a carb heavy diet, the crash is… bad.

I’ve been with the GF for 18 months (living together for 6) and we’ve never even had a a mild disagreement - but the 1-2 days she had the carb crash were pretty bad. That was about 1 week in.

All i can suggest is to stick with it until your body adjusts. It will be hard, i guess i was lucky because i’d already phased out most of the sweet stuff and filler type carbs over the past couple of years before going keto anyway.

Lots of salmon, beef, asparagus, cauliflower rice (as a rice substitute), some zero carb noodles for stir fry, high protein low carb bread, eggs, cheese, chicken, cabbage, spinach.

Lunch for me is leftover (or specifically cooked previous night for lunch) chicken, eggs, cheese, olives, cold cuts of meat, etc. But i’m at the point now (5 weeks in) where i’m starting to play with intermittent fasting. Day before yesterday i didn’t eat til 4pm and only ate then because i had food with me and figured i’d eat it because it was tasty (and in the fridge at work).

Lunch may get easier if you don’t need to eat it and focus on one meal (or one feeding window) a day :smiley:

Small amounts of berries may help if you’ve got a sweet tooth - raspberries are ok in smaller amounts and have antioxidants or something you need.

Protein bars (look for low cab ones).

Definitely, check out:

the carb manager app
thomas delauer youtube channel
the KETO subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/

For heaps of helpful recipes, tips, etc.

I don’t do potatoes any more at all.

1 Like