L1 Q+A! Ask Us (Almost) Anything

Not disagreeing, just throwing in a third option :wink:

Kinda interesting though, wonder which tools still have problems with tabs? They were, and still are, pretty much the de-facto standard for many major editors (Eclipse still defaults to tabs, last I checked).

I don’t personally take a stance either way, and I just use whatever is the default for the environment I’m in (for new projects that’s just whatever the language itself does). The only thing that will drive me into a rage is mixing multiple approaches in a project, or, even worse, file. Usually combined with people just reformatting things to their preferred style on every commit.
Nowadays I just enforce a standard through our CI tools though. Seniority hath its perks… :wink:

Of course, using both requires some proper tooling support, and barring a divine intervention I don’t see that going anywhere. The approach sounds entirely sensible though.

But I guess we’re getting a weeee bit off topic here :wink:

3 Likes

Most of us drooling consumers in your audience probably only do major PC upgrades once every few years, and in my case it’s been 6. Being the drooling consumer that I am, my main system is running Windows 10. How necessary is it to do a fresh install when upgrading mobo/CPU, or GPU for that matter especially if I do stagger upgrades due to supply? What is the best way of reinstalling without disrupting my intricately hoarded programs I don’t use and Windows settings torn as far away from default as possible?

Do you still believe VFIO is the way forward, especially with EAC and other tooling detecting (and banning people because of) VMs? If so, who do you believe will win the inevitable arms race?

Or, are services like Parsec and Moonlight the future, necessitating two computers?

I’m still wondering what the story is on how you 3 came to know each other.

7 Likes

Will home lab people ever get a consumer GPU that can do SR-IOV?

2 Likes

I have a 32" 21:9 monitor and a 27" 16:9 monitor. I am looking to mount the 27" monitor above the 32" on a sit stand desk. Which stand(s)/arm(s) would you recommend I use to do this? The ones I have found that I might be able to do this with seem like they are going to be unstable. Thank you.

Any opinions on linux phones and the idea of mobile-desktop convergence?

What was the first computer that you had access to? Not a computer at school but at home, family member or friend.

With @kreestuh 's artistic skills, could a T-Shirt be designed with “Byeeeeee” written on the back? :laughing:

2 Likes

when does @ryan join the cool kids forum?

1 Like

What piece of kitchen tech you cannot live without today you didn’t have a decade ago. (or longer)

1 Like

East or West Rome?

How did Wendell get the office? or…
why did you not work full time for a company in SF or NYC?

1 Like

Server for a small office based on a Gaming Motherboard, 2 Raid 1 ssd primary and 2 Raid1 secondary spinning rust drives a good idea? Raid is software raid mdadm for ease of recovery.

Can we have a Boiler Snake alert tone?

1 Like

Q: Request for thoughts on extreme longevity

I have an interesting thought experiment to consider:
If you were trying to build a system that needed to survive 20+ years of active daily human use without hardware replacement, what components would you consider to maximise longevity?

Whenever I imagine my theoretical ideal system, I always find myself thinking along these lines of absolutely maximising longevity:

• Would Optane be ideal for storage?
  • Would one look for a particular process node, or type of binning that has reduced electron migration issues? For example when I heard about IBM’s 14HP (FinFET+SOI) I wondered if that SOI addition is better or worse for longevity?
  • A radiation hardened CPU?
  • Would professionally-binned GPUs silicon noticeably outlast consumer chips? Even if not, maybe cards with ECC vRAM could keep it usable decades on if vRAM chips themselves began to deteriorate?
  • Would thermal pads outlast even long-term-stable thermal paste?

Maybe it is all a bit silly, but I am curious what @wendell would think of along these lines, trying to imagine an immortal machine that could last long into, or even outlive a Collapse OS-style apocalypse.

Hope that makes for interesting food-for-thought.

Q: Is Wendell still planning on playing with Blackbird?

Since I brought up IBM’s 14HP node, that reminds me, I think I had asked this in a livestream before, but any updates on plans to play with the microATX POWER9 board?

1 Like

20+ years storage is not going to last, so forget pool size and maximized redundancy with battery backup and multiple redundant power supplies so you never have to turn it off unless you get a prolonged power outage. would also lower power targets and under clock to try to slow that second law. also forget water cooling air cooling is the way and go massive overkill.

had to work on a very bad rack once upon a time and found two servers on it had drives die years ago but had enough in raid with battery back up that they kept going until we had to unplug them. that was a crazy 27 hour shift. thing was so old we pulled multiple 64k modems out of it.

1 Like

Krista

If/When you and your husband have a kid, would you make Ryan a god parent?

2 Likes

If for some reason, you had to move to another country and never come back to the US, what would be your criteria for choosing a new place to move to (climate/topography/etc.) and why?

Wendell, you’ve mentioned having a setup script for getting your linux machines working how you like. How would one get started doing that and ensure it could last through changes in package managers and cpu architectures + other things unknown to me.

Ryan, don’t forget the surface next time :stuck_out_tongue:

Kreestuh, is you or your husband into amateur radio?

Thanks for the great content as always