L1 Q+A! Ask Us (Almost) Anything

What’s Wendell’s favorite kind of tea?

L1T favorite book(s)?

L1T favorite pieces of technology?

L1T Favorite food(s)?

L1T Favorite constellation(s)?

Favorite Text editor?

1 Like

Have you guys ever built a Hackintosh? and if so, why and what was the experience like?

What ever happened to Dot Dot, the dot matrix printer robot?

Is it unfinished on a shelf collecting dust?
Is it meticulously guarding Wendell’s cache of toilet seats?
Is it in some existential hell like the Butter Robot from Rick & Morty?
Did it get sent through time to save/kill Sarah Connor?

1 Like

@kreestuh

Did you ever read the Wheel of Time series? If, what do you think about it?

I’m a big fan and really looking forward to the Amazon show based on it.

1 Like

Let’s start off with, Google forgot what it meant to not be evil years ago. Even so, I’m still an Android user in my heart (Razer Phone 2 ftw).

What are some good alternatives to replace the direct cloud backup/upload of photos that Google Photos and Plex Camera Roll use to fulfill?

And for good fun and a serious interest. What is your non-sarcastic and honest opinion on Aliens from another planet and the US cover up?

When you go to a new restaurant do you normally get an item that you familiar with or do you get what they are know for?

Best style of Barbecue?

1 Like

phyton - has everything for you to model your way of thinking

So what’s it take to get some boiler snake merch going?

10 Likes

This relates to a thread I am planning on making, but with home networks, what do you see as the logical/natural path for someone moving beyond a simple home router?

Context:

An awful lot of discussion threads and tech videos seem to discuss either:

• a setup where one has just a single simple router box
  • a setup composed of completely separate hardware for gateway, switch, APs, maybe also a PoE injector for those APs

yet it seems like no one really discusses how to (outside of a sudden desire to spend gobs of money) go from one state to the other, or when it is really necessary. When does it really become worthwhile to split a single convenient router box into a multi-device setup with discrete APs? Especially when something like OpenWRT/DD-WRT/Tomato might be able provide some of those fancy features on simpler hardware.

I can easily imagine a scenario where someone might go from one router box to 2 or more separate boxes only to find that the WiFi performance improvement or added features were not worth the additional hardware or electricity cost, and just running an ethernet cable, getting a slightly better consumer router, or even installing OpenWRT, would have been the more cost-effective solution.

Maybe you do want to eventually have a fancy muti-part network, but lack the funds to go all the way; should you splurge on a better AP first, a dedicated switch, something else? With constrained funds, maybe your choice for the immediate future is more like:

• Internet → old WiFi router → new dedicated AP
  • Internet → new switch → old router acting as AP

While old enterprise gear is all well and good, sometimes space, noise, or power priorities might rule out such things.

The natural path is to go slightly more enterprise-y. I see that most enthusiasts aren’t spending buttloads of money, but instead buy really cheap, really used enterprise hardware or even getting them for free (like salvage them from the trash, or disposing companies of their e-waste).

My network has evolved from a single generic router to a pfSense box (I’m not moving to anything else because I am lazy, I also hate distro-hopping, even more so when it comes to something that must pretty much has to work at all times, like a router) with an old router in bridge-mode (basically AP mode without the dedicated button in the web GUI) and later I acquired a managed switch and made it the “middleman” with the router. A growing network will (or at least should) naturally start to split in order to separate the broadcast domains. Since things start getting separated, you then start adding devices like IoT stuff and seclude them from the internet (basically vlan untrusted). In my case, I also separated WiFi LAN from the wired LAN (there’s a lot of traffic on the wires and I don’t really want all the ARP traffic broadcasted in the air - also, congestion, I don’t have an AC capable AP).

The next step then comes with self-hosting stuff, which means adding another vlan (slightly-less) untrusted, which acts as a pseudo-DMZ. Usually this entails either adding beefy servers with lots of VMs, or lots of single-board computers (like RPis). Pretty often I see the transfer of adblocking extensions going into a centralized hardware (usually Pi-Hole) which also acts as a DNS.

But frankly, those home network growths are very rare and we only see them often because of our echo chambers. Even in the tech world, the majority of people still have only 1 all-in-one router at home. Which leads to the question:

The growths in my experience happen for 2 reason: nutbars like myself growing a network for the sake of learning or experimenting (home labs), or the more often scenario, when people acquire too many devices. I would argue it is a must to split the network and restrict access of some / many devices whenever one acquires IoT devices. Without those into question, we can see even as many people start having Plex servers at home and other such services, it is very apparent that there is no need for a split. One /24 network will cover everything a family will acquire (I would argue the default should have been /26, but whatever, private IP addresses). This brings us to the reason why home networks pretty much always fall into the 2 categories you mentioned (one all-in-one router serving everything vs the other with lots of dedicated hardware).

Not all enterprise stuff are powerhogs. But I agree that when one needs an upgrade like more WiFi range, it is better and cheaper to buy an old router, put it in AP mode and wire it up to the existing router, instead of buying a 2 new routers that support WiFi meshing.

What happened to Grizzle ??

He’s ryan, same person

lol…

Well yea. I knew that hahah, Just being dumb.

What are your top 5 favorite

Drinks
Alcoholic
Nonalcoholic

Cereals

Sandwiches

Historical Figures

Books

I’m in the nutbar class myself, but I think there’s another case, too. When someone is doing something with big files (video is an easy example), and end up being annoyed that their NAS running at 1 Gbps to their workstation is taking 10s of minutes to copy files. They look into 2.5, 5 or 10 Gbps solutions and get sucked down the rabbit hole.

2 Likes

That is a fair point. IMO that can be solved easily and painlessly with a 2.5 / 5 / 10 Gbps switch (even dumb, unmanaged one) added between the router and end-devices, with the network being the same overall (no added end-devices, just 1 network device and the broadcast domain being the same). But, indeed, it is a “natural” growth, in which one does not acquire too many devices, but is faced with the need for a faster one that doesn’t usually fit in the one-size-fits-all crowd. Well, that, OR go the DAS way a la Jellyfish and hook your NAS directly to your PC and be done with it (2/10, would not recommend).

One of ya’ll has the Asrock x300 deskmini, Right?

Have you tried a NON APU Ryzen CPU in it?
Something like proxmox doesnt need a GPU, but even if it did for install, or the MB refuses to boot without graphics… you can use an asrock rack m2_vga?

Maybe asrock has a beta bios for it to use ryzen 5600x?

1 Like

Why you no lbry ?

Unrelated question: do you like your Youtube fame and Youtube jobs in general?

What has been your favourite project to work on? Also do you like Indian food?