Just Do It Challenge: Revival Edition

OP stolen from @Atomic_Charge
RIP in peace

Also academic integrity is important, don’t try to post other’s stuff post your own, you can reference and use other’s stuff but it should not be made entirely out of someone else’s project. We are not thieves.

:WHEEZE:

Preface

As a lot of us are currently aware, our community, this forum is very dry in terms of creative content. There really is not that much going on. Only occasionally some people manage to share something that they have personalty made.

What I am trying to get across is that we need to get involved as a community. Share, build and create things that are cool/funny/dumb/controversial. We can’t just call ourselves enthusiasts if we don’t do anything enthusiastic. Enthusiasts share their creations and content with other’s who alike, individuals who are into that sort of stuff. We are lacking in that division of being a community.

I believe that if we show each other that we can accomplish that, we then could inspire others and facilitate intellectual and creative growth here.

As I am well aware, we have people who are studying computer science and general computer related stuff, so I believe that the best way you guys can really advance is by showing what you can do so that others may critique and/or enjoy your content.

JUST DO IT

D7MXdSX|nullxnull

overused meme is real

The challenge is simple but it’s up to you how complex it should be.

All that is required is for you is to finish a project that can be whatever you wish, as long as it is made by you and if you desire you may do it with someone else. It can be dumb /funny /inspirational /complex /controversial but as long as it is made by you it is fine.

If you are…
… a programmer… program a tool or a game
… a composer… compose music
… a builder… build a table or something
… a writer… write a fan fiction about the journey the crew had
… a scientist… conduct an experiment and publish a paper
… a bee enthusiast… then build a house for a bee colony
… an editor… film and edit a video
… an engineer… engineer a cool contraption
… an artist… draw…

…Create

So to whomever wants to participate, I encourage you and challenge you to do something. REGARDLESS OF YOUR EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS.

The period is 1 month. August 5th-September 5th . THIS IS NOT A HARD DEADLINE. They may be submitted later or earlier. Just try to deliver.
Post if you wish to participate so I can add your username to the list.
At the end of the month we will all submit the projects we have made and digest them together as well.
The projects don’t have to be enormous or difficult(but it’s still encouraged)

When you are done just post the thread where you shared what you have done and tag me so I can begin compiling a document with all the contributions.
Post questions/critique down below and we shall discuss.

People who can’t deliver will be put to shame not really, but try to deliver please. This is for both you and the forum

Also academic integrity is important, don’t try to post other’s stuff post your own, you can reference and use other’s stuff but it should not be made entirely out of someone else’s project. We are not thieves.

If any of you have a blog, github page, youtube channel, souncloud, bandcamp and/or anything where the project could be also posted, provide a link so I can link it next to your username.

You can also post existing forum threads that you will continue to contribute over the course of this month. I will link it as /W.P.I.x/

###Is this thread a good idea?

• yes
  • no
  • not sure

0 voters

Currently Participating

domsch1988
w.meri
AdminDev
MazeFrame
Skelterz
SugarPower
fredrich_nietze
Denis_Alves
thro
Evan747
behindthetimesgamer
admindev
WolfTech716
Necron_99
Zszywany
KleerKut
Cyborg

Offering Prizes*

Skelterz
kewldude007
wendell

* prize giver is responsible for their own charity

If you don’t see yourself on the list and you asked me to put you on pm me.
17 Likes

sent.

Send it bro

I’ll commit to two prizes for participants, a random draw and whatever I think is cool.

I’ll be participating as well, as usual I’ll be doing some dumb water cooling project or maybe my NAS.

1 Like

Full send no half send … Just do it nike ^{tm}

Troll aside I may have something in mind

1 Like

jUst dO IT

2 Likes

I’ll match that. two steam games under $60 for random projects

1 Like

also mods if this could happen to the participants that would be super

6 Likes

I will also offer a prize or three of some type. Probably some of the highly coveted level1 e waste ? :smiley:

12 Likes

I’ve been looking for a push to dive back into wallpaper making. This will do.

For the rest of the Month I’ll make High Quality Desktop wallpapers at 3440x1440 using a combination of modding, ReShade, & Lightroom and post them on:
The Official Wallpaper Thread

They’ll be posted Ever Sunday for the Rest of the Month by 20:00 ET.

8 Likes

I’ll start. My latest screw up. 7 months on Linux, 3 months on Arch. I’ll go big, Raid 0 on 2 nvme’s. 4 attempts, and total failure to boot. Asus Zenith extreme, 2950x and 2 970 evos.

timedatectl set-ntp true
parted -a optimal /dev/nvme0n1
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 1MiB 2MiB
name 1 grub
set 1 bios_grub on
mkpart primary 2MiB 130MiB
name 2 boot
set 2 boot on
mkpart primary 130MiB 464601MiB
name 3 rootfs
mkpart primary 464601MiB 100%
name 4 tmp
print
quit
parted -a optimal /dev/nvme1n1
mklabel gpt
mkpart primary 1MiB 129MiB
name 1 boot
set 1 boot on
mkpart primary 129MiB 464600MiB
name 2 rootfs
mkpart primary 464600MiB 100%
name 3 tmp
print
quit
mdadm --create --verbose --level=1 --metadata=1.0 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md0 /dev/nvme0n1p2 /dev/nvme1n1p1
mdadm --create --verbose --level=0 --metadata=1.2 --chunk=64 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md1 /dev/nvme0n1p3 /dev/nvme1n1p2
mdadm --create --verbose --level=0 --metadata=1.2 --chunk=64 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md2 /dev/nvme0n1p4 /dev/nvme1n1p3
lvmdiskscan
pvcreate /dev/md0
pvcreate /dev/md1
pvcreate /dev/md2
vgcreate vg_boot /dev/md0
vgcreate vg_main /dev/md1
vgcreate vg_tmp /dev/md2
vgscan
lvcreate -l +100FREE vg_boot -n bootfs
lvcreate -L 30GiB vg_main -n rootfs
lvcreate -l +100FREE vg_main -n homefs
lvcreate -l +100FREE vg_tmp -n tmpfs
lvscan
mkfs.fat -F32 /dev/mapper/vg_boot-bootfs
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_main-rootfs
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_main-homefs
mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_tmp-tmpfs
mount /dev/mapper/vg_main-rootfs /mnt
mkdir /mnt/boot
mkdir /mnt/home
mkdir /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/mapper/vg_boot-bootfs /mnt/boot
mount /dev/mapper/vg_main-homefs /mnt/home
mount /dev/mapper/vg_tmp-tmpfs /mnt/tmp

pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel
genfstab -U /mnt > /mnt/etc/fstab
arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash
nano /etc/locale.gen
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles /etc/localtime
hwclock --systohc --utc
nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
MODULES=“dm_mod”
HOOKS="base…block mdadm_udev lvm2 filesystems cntl o cntl x
mkinitcpio -p linux
pacman -S grub
grub-install /dev/nvme0n1
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
echo gusto > /etc/hostname
nano /etc/hosts
127.0.1.1 localhost.localdomain gusto ctrl o ctrl x
pacman -S net-tools
passwd
exit
umount -R /mnt
reboot

3 Likes

I’d join in but knowing myself I’d take a month or more just to decide how I want to go about it. I know, I know. Just have a hard time with the Just do it part of Just do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Awwww shiiiitttt

I think I’m gonna have to get in on this.

2 Likes

Make a list of things, print it out, throw a dart (or fork) at it.

2 Likes

So since I might be doing a few unrelated things, for tracking purposes should I just link them all in one post, or in separate posts?

First bit for Just Do It™ Challenge:

A new front panel for the 3D printable STX case. Maybe more later?

2 Likes

Alright, for the Just Do It™ Challenge, I’m gonna hop on the youtube moneyz bandwagon.

Yall are gonna see my ugly mug after nearly 5 years.

That and… you’ll just have to watch to see the projects I’m working on.

8 Likes

I’ll throw two Projects in here.

1. My current attempt at making an SSH Connection Manager for WIndows:
    Creating a SSH Connection Manager for Windows
    Moving target and might change from UWP to TUI, but no matter what, i’ll have an executable that’ll let me Select SSH Sessions at the end.

2. Since it already has a given deadline: I need to create a piece of music for a good friends twitch stream. It’ll be the first orchestral piece i’ve ever written and it’s freakin’ complicated. Deadline is the 18th of August, so two weeks. Not sure what comes out of this, but i commited to it. Thread will go up later.

4 Likes

whatever you like

Pretty sure you are an automatic ewaste win anyway for help from before if you like! :smiley:

1 Like

I retract this. Too many issues lining up, too many spanners and curve balls.

I submit this (kinda retroactively):

3 Likes

I’m in. Got a big launch at work, but that means that the pressure is about to be off in a big way.

I’ve got… two things, actually, that would fit the bill.

1 Like