Is the FPS genre dying?

Escape From Tarkov looks to be the game that will revitalize the genre

First I like to apologize if I offended any of you with my long rant.I really don't think FPS are dying, it's that the genre is making crappier and crappier games with TONS of Hype. Take Titanfall & Planetside 2 for example. No one wants to associate as a CoD or BF4 gamer no more. I' was a HUGE FPS gamer way in the past, tho I admit I did play all FPS games I have played some of the early games: Wolfenstien, Quake, Unreal, Halo, COD 1,2,3. The BC series and BF series up to 4. I'm more of an RTS/RPG gamer type. The problem I had with FPS... well was the FOV/turn rate and realism as well as replay-ability. I pretty much left the FPS scene after HL2. Only stopping to play popular FPS games.

I admit there are really some innovative games these past 10 years but not really SHOCKING games. There's really no Diablo II, Warcraft III, Skyrim/Oblivion god-tier game I could remember in FPS. Last one I would really call 'NEW' and innovative was Crysis 2.
Sure there's amazing games like Battlefield 3, but BF4 was just a mod of BF3. They could have just added expansion packs to 3. Last MW series that was good was MW2 before they went mainstream, in terms of story-line & difficulty. Sure Borderlands II was okay, but it was basically diablo with guns. Killzone 2 was a bit refreshing. Day Z was surprising MMO anarchy simulator. Left 4 Dead was just a 4 player single player campaign. Mirror's edge was just free running + kung fu. "The Division", people complain about a hoodie stopping armor piercing bullets etc.. realism gone! It's like street fighter 5 which in this day in age, is a glorified 2D fighter game! as if Virtua series and Tekken never happened. Taking the effort to make 3D characters to play in 2D space like 2D Olympic style fencing.

Anyways had the same discussion way back in 1998 with a friend, he loved Action Quake. you can disable people with shots to the leg and arm etc.. It's 2016 and there's almost no realism to weapon damage. Sure heat shot was 1 shot, but where's the movement bonus for not wearing armor? Or riot shields to potentially deflect some bullets? Spawning people from behind enemy lines WTF cod & BF is that how you reward losing spree? MW's sprint gauge was cool, but wat da heck making running with knives a retard meme gone wrong? Reminds me of the Korean Gunz game which was really fun but lacked realism and had tons of hackers/cheaters. Then we have modern BF4 games of nade spam. I mean gosh that metro map so fun. Really need to make that whole level destructible as well as splash damage.

As for CS Go, it just took a few steps back from CS 1.5, removing almost all physics and boosting. It's just a few steps away from on rails shooter. No more hiding behind trash cans and crates etc..NO more bunny hopping etc. I mean just watching pro games is like watching World of Tanks "spot the enemy".

Anyways TLDR final paragraph. Inspirations, game design, storyline etc.. are coming from other genres. FPS is fun but it lacks incentives to play. Almost all the FPS games drop in player count as soon as the next newest FPS comes on. Seriously they need to stop jumping ship. There's people in this day and age who still play Online MUSH games and ACSII games, cuz they have endless replay value and positive community.

Here's my list of how FPS can be better.
1) Realistic evasive ability (duck, roll, strafing, lean corners)
2) Limb damage
3) Realistic emcombrement/carrying capacity *skyrim
4) Market the Engine not the mods (endless BF3 mods/COD series)
5) More realistic re-spawns/ incorporate perma-death + repawn as descendent with bonuses
6) Encypted or lockdown on code to stop hacking? Implement server/client side handshakes like other esports games.
7) Incorporate voxels in walls or head/body/wall/ragdoll collision detection.
8) More content! you're basically against MMOs and open sandbox games.

Honestly, thats a good thing, it changes the way halo is. It's not just a dumb repeat. I like halo 5 pretty well.

And why doth thou protesteth different halo?

I would say there is a mainstream gamer culture that is stale. It is largely pushed by large publishers so it has their interests at heart. Its stale because publishers don't want to invest in innovation. Its console centric, it is where every new AAA game is awesome because the sites don't want to ruin relations with publishers.

The cost of development is also rising, so with larger and larger sums of money being used, its getting harder and harder to justify unneeded risks.

CSGO is like CS 1.6 because 1.6 was like the most popular game on steam before GO came out. So i can't really fault valve for not going too different with GO.

Valve is supporting 3 hit games right now, GO, Dota2, and TF2; i don't see them coming out with a new shooter any time soon. Who knows, maybe they have started with TF3 because of Overwatch and Lawbreakers gunning for their audience, but i doubt it.

i also completely disagree with Xenu's ideas on how to improve FPS.

I would say one of the biggest problem is game mode and map. FPS could greatly benefit from having a map and game mode that was deep and complex enough to play differently virtually every time you played it. Similar to what Moba's do. I'm not saying copy their map and mode, or that it even has to be a single map, but it would be great for FPS if you got more variety in play from a single map.

Weapon design is stale. There are like maybe 8 classic weapon designs and there have only been some very minor changes to the base design of each.

5v5 is overused. It would be nice for people to try 2v2 or 3v3 focused shooters. Not only would it provide a very different experience that is still pretty social, but it would reduce the needed population for a thriving shooter. Needing to find 3 other people of similar skill to start a match is far easier than needing to find 9 other people of similar skill to start a match.

the 3 biggest problems with the genre probably are
1. the input split. With lots prefering keyboard and mouse and others only comfortable with gamepad.
2. the need for speed. There should be a focus on finding mechanics to demand better aim that aren't centered on just amping up the speed.
3. the iron sight split. With lots preferring the use of iron sights and lots preferring no iron sights in the game or at least not statistical bump while using iron sights.

1 Like

@Zypher720
I think you forgot arma and cs!
Both amazing games.
And maybe rainbow 6.

I didn't read every single word here, but I didn't see anyone mention Dirty Bomb. It's free on Steam, and a hell of a lot of fun. Kinda like TF2, but with more characters and the graphics are more realistic (though still somewhat cartoony).

The thing that's killing certain games for me are the games where you pay full price for the game, but you don't get all the content. CoD has got to be the worst that I can think of. You pay $60 for the game, then $50 for all the expansions, and on top of that the game only has a 1-year life span until the next one comes out. So essentially you're paying $110 every year and that still doesn't even unlock all the weapons and skins that, if you want, you have have to pay even more money to get.

Games that are completely free but have in-game purchases are fine in my book. Dirty Bomb is one of them. There is a free character rotation, and anything above that you either buy with money or in-game currency. Another example would be League of Legends. I'm fine with these because you aren't forced into paying more money in order to unlock vital content (maps and stuff like that) like in CoD.

FPS as a genre is still well alive, though.

I take it you never played the Arma series. Not DayZ but real Arma. People still play Arma 1 and 2. The Arma series also meets most of your list of improvements.

1 Like

I've played alot of Arma 3, can confirm that it's pretty damn good.

1 Like

This has been side in this thread before likely, but I think its just over saturation.

theirs lots of great shooters in recent years, Strike vector being a very underrated one. We just have the big names being copy pastes of each other, playing crysis, battlefield and call of duty, the gun play feels the exact same.

I want some great arcade shooters again.

1 Like

NO I haven't I heard it was ok, but I got III then never installed it cuz I hard it was badly optimized. Does it have Limb damage/disable feature?

Play insurgency. That game is insane.

2 Likes

They are also remaking it in UE4 so if the graphics are a turnoff for you, just wait a bit.

1 Like

I actually ran multiple insurgency servers in a clan I was in.

2 Likes

It is a mil-sim. More sim than arcade so it is much more CPU heavy than GPU heavy. As long as you have decent hardware you will be fine.

Limb damage is by default. there is so so much stuff in Arma 2 or 3. the mods extend it by a lot.

Well Valve is making the Source 2.0 engine. It's just matter of when are they going to release it and what game will showcase its capabilities.

1 Like

Exactly. FPS is alive and well. What is actually fading away is local coop games. Speedrunners is the only good recent one that I know of. And online coop games are getting a ton of attention but not in the way I had hoped. Borderlands online coop is great, not many like it.

Or go for a more extreme scenario like Star Wars Battlefront with up to 64 players.

I don't think that it's dying per se.

It's more or less running sour since we haven't had anything "ground breaking" in a while (more or less, not my opinion).
For the most part it also comes down to preference. Most people complain about X or Y and they don't enjoy the games they play because they're either too busy complaining about it or simply don't report their issues to the developer.

This pretty much refers to whom plays Singleplayer games over Multiplayer ones. I like open games where I can do a lot of cool things. I'm replaying the first Crysis because I like grabbing a vehicle, having fun in the terrain and screwing around with AI enemies. With games like GTA V I modified the .ini files to make the 4x4's behave like modded super articulate badass machines.

I digress, but the point is: A majority of people complain about the out of box experience, which is close to a pipe dream these days.

1 Like

I would love to try Strike Vector out if it didn't died so quickly. I don't fully understand why? Lack of marketing? Divided Playerbase? I need answers.

Late at night or early early morning.
Anything after 330 pm I don't even bother.