Is the FPS genre dying?

No, the FPS genre is not dying. I think we focus too much on AAA studios and publishers to be the only ones to deliver a high-quality product with a new/fresh experience when in most cases they cannot do it simply because AAA game budgets are too huge with overbloated teams that it is impossible to coordinate experimentation. To those looking for new experiences, look around. There are many developers who are making the games AAA cannot deliver. There is stuff like ARMA 3, Insurgency, Reflex, Shadow Warrior 2, Overwatch coming out in the future.

Remeber that FPS have gone through a few trends over the past two decades. One game did something successful and everybody else needs to emulate their success rather than try something new.

• We had the Sci-Fi shooters with DOOM, Halo, Unreal, Half-Life, Timesplitters, Perfect Dark, etc that dominated the late 90s and early 2000s. Of course the game industry was still relatively young back then where all it took was 15+ dedicated individuals to create something groundbreaking and experimentation was the norm.

• We then had World War II shooters with games like Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Brothers In Arms, and Day of Defeat being the norm from 2002 to 2008.

• We have the infamous Modern Military First Person shooters with games that were once WW2 shooters(COD, MOH, BF), Homefront, Warface, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Ghost Recon, Operation Flashpoint, etc and it plagued the 7th generation because COD4: MW was a smashing success.

2 Likes

its an indie game, that never was able to get a large player base, and then when someone new tried to play it, they would get destroyed by people who have simply played more than them, since its a hard game to pick up.

I'm intrigued by this new "Squad" game but it's just too expensive for an alpha game.

I wasn't there because I live on the opposite side of the country, so I wouldn't know. :(
Probably, but unreal has a place in my heart because Unreal Tournament 2004 was the first game that I really latched onto in the realm of PC Gaming. Kaos! \m/
The new engine looks incredible though, plays well as well. Slobber over those four well crafted words will ye?

except eve. but that's been updated a gazillion times. CCP is working on an FPS... should be gud...

I think we are just getting old. I cant twitch like a 16yo and it piss's me off. I moved to more strategic games.

I don't think it is dying.

It will just go through a dip. We have seen this with other types like point and clicks and grand strategies which both dipped and are slowly coming back.

COD4 Remastered is coming, I'm really worried about the survival of the genre (ignoring CS). It'll get beaten to death again.

It is bonus to whoever purchase cod future shitfest... You can't buy just MW by itself...

I think people will buy the shitfest for it, or the remaster will get released separately in the future.

People will cry out, they will buy the games, Activision will wait this out, everything will remain the same...
There will be no reason for Activision to release COD4 polish standalone, when it can make more money from it bundled...
And the cod fans won't mind...

1 Like

CoD stopped growing in sales. There are a lot of new IPs trying new things, Titanfall, Battleborn, Overwatch, Lawbreakers, Paragon, ect. I think we're going to transition to new things in shooters, the thing that is going to hinder the change a little is people are used to features that exist because of years and years of development. Kind of like no MMOs being able to have the feature set of WoW, new shooters are going to struggle to have the feature set of the more than decade old CoD, CS, or nearly decade old TF2. Everyone just expects every shooter to have the same feature set that the shooter they've been playing for the last 5 years has been spending at least 7 years to get to.

1 Like

Overwatch is amazing. It actually blends in stuff from TF2 and Dota/LoL, whether or not anyone thinks that's a good thing or not.

My first impressions of the game were great and I think it has good potential.

Battlefield 1 is set in WWI, not sure what to feel about this, but the idea of flying or driving WWI era planes or tanks sound interesting to me.

No it does not... There are no creeps, there is no map boss... There isnt much of a PVE at all...
You want FPS Dota you want to play Battleborn. There we have bosses and PVE and creep waves and items and all standard LoL/Dota stuff in an FPS.

Yes

Battleborn is the worst FPS ever made. The guns are horribly designed. The view models are ridiculously large. The characters feel juvenile. The mouse sensitivity options are absurdly high. I try to lower by DPI to the lowest it can be where my mouse sensitivity is not higher than the min movement i want to be able to make while aiming. I have it set at 800 DPI and the lowest mouse sensitivity setting in the game is like twice as high as what i need to get my desired sensitivity. So its not that i don't want to bother changing my DPI to accommodate having to use a higher sensitivity, it is, the min aiming movement that i am used to having is impossible in the game and not by some tiny margin either, its about twice as large! And i'm not even on the extreme end of low mouse sensitivity in FPS. Many people use a sensitive less than half my own.

If you want a good moba with a little fps thrown in, Paragon is exceptionally made imo. If you want a good shooter with a little moba thrown in, Overwatch is well made. If you want a shitty shooter with moba mixed in, Battleborn.

1 Like

I am going to try and joke lightheartedly without any willing to offend...
Are you running from bright colors and fun in fear of catching the gay illness?
Dude, there is a mushroom character...
God damn, I defend a game I dislike on the principle of being made by an assholes...
That is your personal opinion. I think the characters are creative, I have nothing against large gun models as long as I have my FOV slider and can see more of the screen in general.
Mouse acceleration issues are comonly known issue in most games so nothing new under the sun here...

I think you are exaggerating like a fisherman asked how big fish it have caught lately...

the problem is not the bright colors. There are two problems with the characters.

The first is many feel like tired stereotypes. Not all of them but like Boldur, Ghalt, Mellka, Montanna, Oscar Mike, Reyna, Thorn, Toby, and Whiskey Foxtrot all feel like they are stereotypes in games that have been done to death.

The second is the dialogue isn't very good. The humor isn't funny and the dialogue seems like its trying far too hard to develop characters with very limited dialogue.

I tried it during a weekend, i think a stress test, and i swear to god i could not think of a game i thought was more poorly designed and i seriously tried to think of one. After playing Battleborn, i had my lowest opinion of the gaming industry, i think i've ever had. I thought maybe gaming is dead. Maybe there isn't room for competent developers in the AAA industy. There are just developers capable of shoveling out sequel after sequel and unable to creatively make anything unique of value on their own.

The developers don't understand gun design. The clip size, the fire rate, the damage done per shot, the spread, the reload time, all have dramatic effect on how fun it is to use a gun. And it seemed like the developers were completely clueless to this and only used those characteristics to fit the concept they wanted the gun or the hero to fit into and then to tweak balance later on. This is actually one area where i was expecting Overwatch to completely fall flat on, and when i played it this weekend i was shocked, Overwatch might have done it better than any other shooter to date, it is in my opinion Overwatch's greatest strength.

The game and map design was not remotely intuitive. I am an experienced gamer and am very familiar with both the fps and moba genres and couldn't easily figure out how the mechanics work.

Their game designed failed at creating a type of fun experience that does not exist in moba's or FPS, but just created a far worse version of the fun you get from playing a well designed game in either genre.

Unlocking new gear and classes goes against the equal playing field that is required in a competitive shooter.

Untogglable mouse acceleration is not a common problem in multiplayer shooters on PC and is not acceptable.

the gun view models are ridiculous

the mouse sensitivity options were abysmal. Did not go down far enough, did not have enough intervals to adjust between. And no, i could not just lower my DPI, because i want a lower min movement than what is the min movement at the lowest mouse sensitivity setting.

It is a game being released not because its a great product and ready to be released but because they've invested as much as they're willing to invest before recouping the cost of development.

I think this, as an enthusiast FPS game thread is as good place as any...
Metro Series Redux for 7,49Euro

For some reason the forum don't like to post the Steam link...
To tie it into the topic - those games are prime example how the FPS genre isn't really dying at all...