Intel throwing shit at AMD claim they are reusing desktop cpu's for server

Intel has done the same thing with Xeon processors was my point this is kinda industry standard practice. if you get fancy Intell will lazer cut parts out rather than microcode them out.

1 Like

This was good

3 Likes

Just start the video at 01:49

Holy Shit! I'm really enjoying this.

Actually way before the launch of ryzen I heard about ram encryption and virtualization but then I couldn't find anything. now I know, it's the enterprise.

I feel like I have to watch some LTT Intel video from 2014 to work against the AMD fanboy hysteria

2 Likes

r3 looks good for the money

• it gets you cheaply onto a platform that you can upgrade to an 8 core 16 thread processor in the future.
  • if previous ryzen is to go by there should be nothing stoping people from getting nearer to 4ghz on all for cores

only hurdle it faces is benchmarks vs the g4560, it needs to trounce it in games for this to be the new budget build darling.. and even then all it would take is intel doing the unthinkable and adjusting their prices and amd will lose their performance per dollar advantage.

1 Like

The most interesting part of the rumor are 6-core processors from i5 series. The major difference compared to i7 is a lack of Hyperthreading. The i5-8600K processor is said to be clocked at 3.6 GHz with the same TDP as i7-8700K (95W).

WTF is Intel doing!?

2 Likes

Having difficulties. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It seems they cannot add features, cores and keep the price competitive to the Ryzen 5 with monolithic chips....

1 Like

lack of Hyperthreading

Sounds to me like they're having issues with Hyperthreading. I wonder if that's why they have so many CPU without it. Lots of chips will have defects that render it non-functioning, forcing Intel to fuse off the HT segment of the chip, rendering it an i5 or i3.

1 Like

Remember kids, gaming performance is everything when talking about server CPUs...

Said nobody.

3 Likes

I actually am, this was plain childish, like damn, almost like Trumpism is getting the best of them.

To be fair, Linus was definitely shilling for Intel and especially NVidia, there was AMD fanboy hysteria but to say that there was no Intel and NVidia shilling before would be bullshit, there has even been some AMD shilling (though not nearly as much aside from fanboys), it is interesting that he has changed now to praising AMD. Even though I praise AMD for Ryzen, now I want Raven Ridge.

Linus doesn't care about brands. Whoever makes a thing that enables him to make videos about is welcome.

*whoever gives him free hardware to test.

I'd be a brand and ad slut if they gave me a ton of free stuff to do shitty reviews of too.

1 Like

FTFY. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

can we not. cheers. cheers. thanks.

Hyper threading still needs extra logic. Thus removing it improves yields and you can reduce the end price.

1 Like

That's true, but their LCC dies have hyper threading on the die when manufactured. The ones that don't support it are just fused off, if I remember correctly. It saves them money when they can make multiple skus from the same base die.

1 Like

This whole intel vs amd debates on the interwebs currentlly,
is starting to get beyond insane really.

2 Likes