Intel throwing shit at AMD claim they are reusing desktop cpu's for server

It's much more delicious than that. What you posted are desktop processors. What was Intel doing on the server side at the time? Surely they were doing something much better!

Oh wait, No they weren't! they were doing exactly the same thing on the server side.

This is a Core 2 Xeon. I know it's a Xeon because of the notches.

Their Core 2 server processors are from what I understand completely identical to the desktop processors. They are so similar that literally swapping two contacts on the underside and maybe performing a BIOS update makes them compatible with 775 motherboards.

the level to which Intel has been caught with their pants down is... sooooooo gooooooood.

6 Likes

I just think it's hilarious how so many hardware experts were expecting Intel to have some kind of amazing "ace in the hole" hidden technology in case they encounter competition again, but the best they could come up with was price reduction, i9 and cheap shots and lies.

You'd think Intel would be better than this....

1 Like

Who would? I don't think that anyone in this community is surprised.

1 Like

I understand that. But if I were an Intel fanboy right now, I'd be a little disappointed that Intel, a fortune 500 company, is resorting to this kind of marketing.

You don't get there by playing fair.

Yep. Look at BD. They're staying on top by literally buying up all the other talented companies.

Oh, look here, a new company with some potential.

3 weeks later

Oh, look here, a new subdivison with some potential.

BD = Alphabet = the entirety of the Pharmaceutical Complex = etc. ?

OOOOO ONE BETTER

The Core Duo was literally 2 Pentium M's on a board, and thE PENTIUM M WAS A PENTIUM 3, AND ATOMS UNTIL 2012 WERE ALSO JUST PENTIUM 3'S.

SHUT THE FUCK UP INTEL.

2 Likes

Seriously, how is openly insulting your opponent ever a good move, it lessens you

if you win, well it wasnt really a fight, you said so yourself.
if you lose, what did you say about them again?

However, if you treat your opponents with respect and hold them in high regard, even to the media then it makes your victories so much more impactful.

Check the Robert Hallock bit

I am thinking that the 1950x will be my next cpu

as a cinema4d user 'It's OVER 3,000!' made my jaw drop :smiley:

1 Like

Is it just me or am I the only one that wants to hold that behemoth of a processor Threadripper. Its so massive it must have the greatest satisfying feeling to drop that into a socket. Thank you AMD for allowing me to not having to buy another intel processor thsi time around.

1 Like
7 Likes

9 Likes

You only had to swap the contacts. there were kits you could buy.

I've done it. But on certain boards (like the P45 motherboard I did such a project on), two CPU instructions, cmpxchg16 and VT-x, get disabled if the motherboard detects a CPUID not listed in the BIOS. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 will not boot or install if they detect that cmpxchg16 is disabled or unavailable. The way around this is performing a BIOS update that includes the CPUID of the Xeon you're using. That's why I said 'maybe' a BIOS update.

But you are correct, just to make the CPU compatible with the board, you only have to swap the pins.

1 Like

amazing chart there, especially considering AMD is usually associated with being more forward thinking even if it's bad for business (and it is if you think too far out).

2 Likes

(can't believe I'm the first here with this one)

1 Like