Intel throwing shit at AMD claim they are reusing desktop cpu's for server

Yeah, obviously team AMD no debate needed.

2 Likes
1 Like

I will remember this year not only as Intel being surprised by competition and making silly moves, mocking competition.
But I will also remember the current Intel marketing moves, not as silly or insulting to AMD, but more importantly insulting to the consumer both regular and enterprise.

Just wonder if I will remember that in three years while I will be selecting new CPU.

1 Like

You will not...You do not have to...Because it will happen every year and with switching sides.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper HEDT CPUs Shipping On 10th of August With Liquid Cooling Solutions

maybe Intel could include some cooling solution for the i9, like LN2 or something...

5 Likes

That freeze burn.

I'd almost say that joke had frost-bite.

8 Likes

I may be willfully ignorant, but I haven't seen AMD slinging this level of mud at intel. Yes, they compare themselves to intel because of the market share, but a simple comparison is not the same as an accusation like "glued together desktop cores"

I feel like AMD is smarter than that. Their PR and marketing has been significantly better than that of Intel's lately.

2 Likes

AMD may not have slung any mud at Intel, but they haven't been given much opportunity either. They have however resorted to really stupid marketing, like claiming that their processors make your internet connection faster (phrased differently, but that was the implication).

No doubt they'd employ the same practices as Intel, should they find themselves in a position to do so.

Fair enough.

So, you think that if the tables were turned, they'd be calling intel's CPUs glued together desktop processors?

I'm having a hard time believing that. Not because I think AMD is holier than thou or some shit like that. It's a company, just like Intel, but I think what intel did was so monumentally ill-advised that nearly any other company could see why it's a bad idea.

1 Like

I don't think they'd say that specifically, but have no illusions to them having higher standards.

AMD is attacking the server market, whose stability requirements make it prone to FUD. Intel's only hope to defend against EPYC (aside from lowering prices) is to ensure that the server market doesn't trust AMD. Their claims aim to ensure just that.
These very specific circumstances kinda, somewhat, a little bit, maybe warrant Intel's reaction and I would not be surprised at all if AMD did the same.

AMD's marketing over the last few years has been plainly terrible - they compensated for lack of good hardware with ridiculous claims. They tweeted "4GB means 4GB" during the 970 memory fiasco.

So yes, I think AMD would behave just like Intel here.

I don't recall AMD being this shameless, and that's saying something.

I definitely haven't seen AMD play THIS dirty.

16 Likes

First they ignore you (check, intel have been doing that for years), then they laugh at you (see recent slide deck), then they fight you (to be seen), then you win (hopefully :smiley:) .

5 Likes

well Intel now has the idea that 6 cores on i5 and i7 is the new shit so... "they fight" but with shitty core count.

Well we have never seen AMD in the same position of market share as intel is. Intel is the powerful in this situation this and can play dirty. All corporations play dirty on such levels. OK some smarter than others (Intel went full idiot with this) but dirty nonetheless. I cannot see why AMD would not do similarly shady stuff if the roles are switched.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_releases_the_base_clock_of_their_i9_7920x_12-core_cpu/1

2 Likes

Re-purposed server cpus for the desktop. Glued together substrates.

I'm not trying to defend Intel here but the base clock is really just a number. It isn't relevant at all. In idle it will downclock to less than 1GHz and it will boost up to max whenever there is shit to do, soooo ...

You missed the point. @1920.1080p.1280.720p got it.

Well, you didn't make one. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯